Make a donation

Author Topic: K03 Hybrid  (Read 10919 times)

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
Re: K03 Hybrid
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2013, 04:08:08 pm »

I ran revo and had it logged and RR and was fine, not as cool as when i fitted the cooler but still ok.
What got me was the difference of nearly 50 degrees after a WOT pull between the stock cooler on mine and the APR one on mikes.  Espcially when you consider they recknon for every 1oC raise in IAT is equivalent to a1Hp loss, so potentially when running S2+ with the stock cooler, after 1 run at WOT my car lost approx 50Hp for a couple of minutes until the cooler recovered.  A K04 with only 300Hp wouldnt approach those IATs on the stock cooler.

to me its about enjoying the drive and the k04 just doesnt feel as good as the k03 when nipping around town and to 60.

I can see exactly where your coming from  :happy2:  Horse for Courses  :drinking:

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2013, 11:52:22 pm »

That's intersting. What sort of cost would you be looking at for the K04 and S3 inectors? I'm assuming that 300bhp option 1 needs to include a remap as well as the hardware?

They can be had for approx £500 second hand if yoyu keep a watch on ebay and fthe forums. 

is this really true?

YTed mate.  I was chatting with Keith back along saying its a shame there wasnt an Octavia vRS wasnt available as a K04 as 300hp would be the sweet point.  He then highlighted they had developed these in the US. 

Makes sense really.

If you bolt a K04 turbo/injectors etc on the K03 TFSI engine then give it a remap for this setup, ie APR or RTECH custom, you have effectively made it the same as an ed30 stage 1.

i was referring more about price. the injectors aren't cheap, the turbo isn't cheap, a custom map isn't cheap (unless you go to R-Tech). but a Blueflame TBE, S3 intercooler and Autotech HPFP are all fairly inexpensive
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2013, 07:28:17 am »
i was referring more about price. the injectors aren't cheap, the turbo isn't cheap, a custom map isn't cheap (unless you go to R-Tech). but a Blueflame TBE, S3 intercooler and Autotech HPFP are all fairly inexpensive

Like I said, the turbos are regularly available on ebay for approx £500(there are 4 on there now, on of which has injectors etc etc).  Sometimes they come with the DV relocation and injectors, other times they dont nut they are also frequently available on the bay as well.  Then there are the forums

Offline jonnym

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 22
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2013, 09:59:52 am »
This was discussed a while back and so far as I know, no one has done it. The K04 isn't crazy money and is the best solution. You could actually go K04 and keep original injectors and fuel pump for 300-310bhp. You would have to get a custom map though as this isn't a setup that Revo, APR etc support  :happy2:

That's a cheap-ish boost in power

APR do.

they have a few options already developed for K04 conversions on the K03 TFSI.

It was APR who gave me the idea.

• K04 with S3 injectors, stock intake, stock exhaust, stock HPFP  approx 300hp
  • K04 with S3 injectors, Uprated APR HPFP, stock intake, stock exhaust, approx 320hp
  • K04 with S3 injectors, Uprated APR HPFP, Intake, TBE and intercooler. approx 350Hp

Option 1 makes so much sense on the K03 TFSI as that 300Hp is cheaper than making a Stage 2+ K03 setup and it makes more power with less boost/stress.  Wish i had known about it back alongwhen i had my octavia tbh.

I have a KO4 sitting ready to go on, but am hesitant to put it on until I have absolutely necessary to run it safety. I've got ths fmic but stock got stock hpfp and exhaust. Granted the exhaust is changing next month to accommodate this and replace the knackered on, but as my golfs my daily I don't want to do anything that might effect reliability.

So very tempted to get the hpfp in next month with the exhaust.
@PSW - "Candy white ones are the nicest and fastest"

Offline james

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2013, 07:44:55 am »
please notice 1.8T  not TFSI. :star:

So k03 hybrid is a lot cheaper than a k04  as would need mani and new downpipe

Look at a k04-001 , that is what I run on my old 1.8t