Make a donation

Author Topic: Apple, the sinking ship.  (Read 5208 times)

Offline Scottymon

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
Re: Apple, the sinking ship.
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2013, 07:28:20 pm »
Larger screen I get, but larger device, nah... as someone else said above, use the full real estate of the device with little to no bezel.

Looking to the future though, flexible devices will be neat; coupled with Total Recall (the remake) style phones.

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2013, 07:37:44 pm »
I have no financial interest in apple... other than i have bought into their brand and have have 3 iphones (now on the 5) 2 ipads (now an ipad mini) and a macbook pro with 24" mac screen... I did all this as I like how they all worked together and loved the software.

I've been on iOS7 beta since it was released (now on beta2 which is more buggy than beta1) and i'm not impressed. You can tell its been designed by Jonny Ive. Its too sterile and the functionality of some apps are actually a step back all in the pursuit of a clean look (the calendar for instance is terrible in iOS7)

I'm worried that if they stick with this new design through to the public release I'm going to end up with lots of apple product I no longer enjoy using as much... I have no doubt that they will roll this new look out onto mac in the next version of OSX as well.

My other worry is the way the phones are going. Cheaper smaller phone and then a bigger screen version. I dont want a big house brick of a phone in my pocket and call me a snob... but I like that fact that having an iphone is a bit of a statement that... yes i know there are cheaper phones out there but i bought this really expensive one anyway. Its an event buying and opening the product and they should keep it that way. Ferrari COULD make a smaller cheaper car to gain a bigger market share... but they dont as it dilutes the brand.

Anyway.. rant over..
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2013, 07:43:52 pm »
When people say the iOS software is so limiting, what are you being limited in doing?

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2013, 07:52:38 pm »
iOS Beta 2 is not as buggy as Beta 1 in my experience on the phone. iPad is a different matter however. Beta 3 will be out soon though so should clear up some bugs.

But it is a Beta after all so complaining about bugs is a bit daft.  :confused: If the bugs annoy you then got back to iOS 6 until the finished product comes out.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2013, 08:15:50 pm »
Love the IPad, Hate the IPhone.

Love both IOS and Android

can someone please combine the two and make a truly great piece of kit?
Golf R gone.

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2013, 08:31:17 pm »
Love the IPad, Hate the IPhone.

Love both IOS and Android

can someone please combine the two and make a truly great piece of kit?

Now that would be something.

I have an iPad3 and a Galaxy S4. Love both :happy2:

Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2013, 08:32:59 pm »
I love the way everyone is a geek in 2013. 

Roll back 20 years...

Apple Macintosh LC475
Year    1993
End year    1994
CPU      Motorola MC68LC040
Speed      25 MHz !!
RAM      8 MB !! onboard, 36 MB max !!
ROM      1 MB !!
Sound      stereo, 8 bit
OS      MacOS

Check out the shear beauty of it:

:signLOL:

Where will we be in another 20 years!!  :surprised:

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2013, 08:42:06 pm »
We will all have synthetic bodies to replace our own. There will be two types...

The IOS bots - these will automatically be programmed to feel superior and will only work with other IOS bots

The Androids - these will work faster and have a wider workload. They will need constant updates due to their workloads.

:signLOL:
Golf R gone.

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2013, 08:49:50 pm »
^^ PMSL!  :grin: A dystopian future that will probably happen, one way or another.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2013, 09:08:25 pm »
What as always put me of getting a I phone is you have to buy a lot of the apps where as a android phone you get them free

Offline MightyMullet

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 5
  • Penzance, Cornwall
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2013, 09:12:40 pm »
By limited i mean it almost only works properly with other Apple products which isnt all bad as i have a 2013Macbook Pro, iPad 2 and iPhone 5 to play alomg together. The App store itself is limiting (and expensive) and you cant exchange pictures, videos, music etc with other phones unless (again) its an iphone.

I love Apple products, and i wont go anywhere else. Like said i like the snobby ness of having a £600 phone instead of having a cheapo android phone costing half the price (which by the way is far too large, i mean, its ridiculous!) but i am getting annoyed with how good the competition is becoming :sad1:

And where is everyone getting iOS7 from jealous :love:

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2013, 10:21:31 pm »
iOS Beta 2 is not as buggy as Beta 1 in my experience on the phone. iPad is a different matter however. Beta 3 will be out soon though so should clear up some bugs.

But it is a Beta after all so complaining about bugs is a bit daft.  :confused: If the bugs annoy you then got back to iOS 6 until the finished product comes out.

I know its a beta! I was saying not impressed at the style and overall look of it which isnt something that will change.

As for being more or less buggy... Mine is crashing lots more than B1 but i'm going to do a restore tomorrow and start again.
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline AndrewJB

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 9
  • die gelbe Baron
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2013, 10:50:32 pm »

(which by the way is far too large, i mean, its ridiculous!)

All Apple owners say this... but if there iPhone had the biggest screen, they would claim that its best because its bigger

Because the screen is smaller.. they claim they don't want bigger
2014 Seat Leon Cupra 280 VWR Springs, VWR Intake, REVO Stage1
LeonOC.com & TDISport.com Administrator

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2013, 12:24:54 am »
Bigger screen is fine, but bigger phone no.

That's a drawback of the samsungs. They are basically like a brick, and big massive phones aren't stylish, sexy or desirable. Infact it's the opposite as it comes across as geeky.

What I hate the most about my iPhone is:

Battery life
The inability to multi task
iTunes walled garden.

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2013, 12:35:13 am »
I don't mean this in any way derogatory to anyone however the "limitations" that people usually tell me are because of a few things in my experience.

- They don't/haven't researched the phone capabilities before they buy
 - They buy and then don't know how to utilise or use all it's features
 - They come across a perceived problem and think their is no way to solve it.

People say you can't exchange music, pictures and video with other phones. There are plenty of apps on the App store that you can do this with, whatsapp being one of them for Pictures & video. There is also email.

Each to their own and all that but the war of smartphones and Android vs iOS/Samsung vs Apple etc will go on for time evermore.

(which by the way is far too large, i mean, its ridiculous!)

All Apple owners say this... but if there iPhone had the biggest screen, they would claim that its best because its bigger

Because the screen is smaller.. they claim they don't want bigger

Nope, i would quite happily go back to the same size screen as what was on my 4S before i got the 5. The 5 is probably at the limit of what i want to see from a phone and would be happier for it to revert (never going to happen for a while). I have an iPad for a bigger screen.

I know its a beta! I was saying not impressed at the style and overall look of it which isnt something that will change.

As for being more or less buggy... Mine is crashing lots more than B1 but i'm going to do a restore tomorrow and start again.

Did you update OTA or complete restore? If it helps the process i did was,

Backed up 6.1.4
Restore to 7 Beta 1 and then restore from 6.1.4 backup.
Hard Reset using home & power button, immediately after upgrade
Power Cycle immediately after Hard Reset
OTA to Beta 2.
Hard Reset immediately after upgrade
Power cycle immediately after Hard Reset

Crashes i've had have been 3 since Beta 2 and 5 on Beta 1. All of them were from opening up incompatible apps at the moment. Apps that i have installed that are currently incompatible are:

Bejeweled
Bejeweled 2
Photobucket
Natwest Banking
Red Laser but only occasionally
Around Me but only occasionally

Bejeweled, Bejeweld 2 & Natwest have caused the crashes as i was trying different things to see if they would work.