Make a donation

Author Topic: RCD 510 White Screen of Death (?)  (Read 3216 times)

icedgem27

RCD 510 White Screen of Death (?)
« on: June 28, 2013, 08:10:57 pm »
I'm new to the forum so apologies if thread is in the wrong place...

Anyway, White screen on my RCD 510 for the second and third time today.

VW response so far - technical bulletin says it's a warm-up thing that happens sometimes, it's not a fault.

I've had the car for the sum total of 6 weeks (and loving it), and the RCD 510 for 5 of those weeks. The car had an RCD 310 in it originally, but I upgraded it as part of the deal when I bought the car. The new stereo was fitted by VW so I'd have expected all to be well. Clearly not so much...

I could kind of accept the technical bulletin if it a) happened each time you started the car for a couple of seconds before booting, and/or b) it rectified itself as you were driving after a minute or two. That's what I'd expect unless I'm missing something here. But no, it's white until you stop and leave the car for a while. Sometimes it will come back on fine the next time I start the car, say when it's been parked for an hour or so. Today it only came on after the car had been stopped and parked twice (typically being OK when the mechanic got in the car to look at it for another issue to be sorted having been white screen for two car journeys).

Any one else had this and had any luck with finding the fault and/or resolution?

Offline john87

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 53
    • Email
Re: RCD 510 White Screen of Death (?)
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 09:13:59 pm »
Doesn't sound like a common fault, certainly the first time I've heard anyone mention it on here... occasionally mine says 'SD card error' when I switch it on, but ejecting the SD card and putting it back in sorts it. Sorry I can't help you here  :sad1:
VCDS Hex-USB +CAN (Central Scotland)

Offline MC71

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 09:48:32 pm »
That not right. Something wrong there, if VW installed it originally get them to have a look at it for you.

:happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

icedgem27

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 09:58:18 pm »
Thank you. That's confirmed what I thought. At the moment pending on response from VW Technical department. I don't hold out much hope as the dealership didn't really want to listen to my explanation of what's happening and under what circumstances.

Not that I expect it to help much but this is what it looks like, then next time (or the time after that) it's back to normal again:

Thanks again for the replies so far!

Offline GTI-Pirelli

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 10:30:38 pm »
Have you tried turning it off and back on again???

Seriously though, have you tried resetting it?
IIRC, hold down; <, > & "musical note" (I think it is the note, I have an "i" on mine).

The unit should go off then come back on after 10-20 seconds.
I don't think it will solve it but it might. I doubt it will make it any worse. At the end of the day it is just a computer in the dash and computers do crash!

Good luck with it.  :happy2:

P.S. If it was my 5 week old head unit, I would have parked my car across the entrance to the workshop and refused to move it until it was either a). FIXED or b). REPLACED.

And a side note: Have they coded it in properly? I would be tempted to get them to check!

2017 Audi S4

Offline paulw123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 12:18:56 pm »
That's defo not right.
Was it a new or used headunit?
I would ask them to fit another one.
GT TDI sport 140 08plate,RCD510 DAB, leather armrest, euro cup holder

Offline doylebros

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 09:17:11 pm »
Get them to show you that happening on another car!

New unit is what I would want.

Offline Baz_doc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 01:16:26 am »
Looks like they are trying to get out of it lad. I've an rcd510 and so do a few mates and I've never once seen this happen.