Make a donation

Author Topic: What products do you use?  (Read 4806 times)

Offline Kevscupra

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
What products do you use?
« on: July 01, 2013, 01:43:18 pm »
A couple of month ago I got myself a fresh car and I've decide to keep this 1 as clean a possible. A fortnight after get the car on the road I bought a load of auto glym products and then washed, clayed, polished and waxed my car. It was the 1st time I used a clay bar and I was very pleased with the results.

Am just wondering what products everybody uses and what products people recommend for cleaning the whole car?

Offline gerbil

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
    • Email
Re: What products do you use?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 09:52:01 am »

Poorboy's Natty wax  for my monthly wax... Megs microfiber system for a 6 monthly  refurb lol.  IronX on my wheels...amazing stuff!
2007 Edition 30 Black

Offline Kevscupra

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 12:57:17 pm »
Ironx I read a lot about this, lots of people use it. Where can you buy it from?
After you have used ironx on your wheels what do you seal them with?

Offline gerbil

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 01:04:44 pm »
Ebay or any good detailing retailer... Normally re-seal with Poorboys wheel sealer
2007 Edition 30 Black

Offline vRS Carl

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 01:12:19 pm »

Poorboy's Natty wax  for my monthly wax... Megs microfiber system for a 6 monthly  refurb lol.  IronX on my wheels...amazing stuff!

You use Megs MF every 6 months!  :surprised: Do you not like your clearcote very much? :grin:

Ironx I read a lot about this, lots of people use it. Where can you buy it from?
After you have used ironx on your wheels what do you seal them with?

I fully detail my car once a year. I don't use anything more than a polishing pad and at most Menzera P085RD 3.02 Polish followed by Menz SF4000 to finish as it was detailed by Miglior about 18 months ago and i try to wash it safely in between.

Once a week (were possible) i wash the car with the 2 bucket method and then dry off using a towel and a quick detailer (generally FK425) to aid the process.

Once a every 3 months i will wash, clay and then wax. I have a few waxes but my go to at the moment is FK Pink Wax.

With regards to Iron-X and wheels. I have seen loads of people using Iron-X wrong. They spray it onto a dirty wheel and then marvel at how purple it goes. However my understanding is that Iron-X is there to be used AFTER the wheel has been cleaned. For me i use AS Smart Wheels, then i use AS Tardis to remove any Tar deposits, then i spray on Iron-X to remove any iron deposits that are left. Finally after that i clay then polish them before i seal with FK1000p.

Do not be suckered into buying GTechniq C5. I did a test on my car which i put GTechinq on the left wheels and FK1000p on the right wheels. I went overseas for 7 months leaving my wife with the car (so it wasn't washed apart from a PW rinse every now and then) the FK1000p performed no different to the C5 and if i am honest a little better.

Don't get me wrong C5 is good if you have nothing else. But as FK1000p can be used on paint (as can C5 but that's a different story) and it's half the price and you get a hoooooooge tin. Then FK1000p is the stuff to buy. I can't comment on other wheel sealants.

If you are going to seal the wheels then i suggest you do what i do above. Time consuming yes, but you should easily get 6mths+ where you only have to PW the wheels for them to be clean again.

Offline MichaelFoz

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 01:36:34 pm »
Iron X is very good however there is a cheaper alternative.

Wonder Wheel - Hot wheels

Its honestly the exact same as iron X.
Many of the detialers and body shops on cliosport.net use it on body work as well as wheels.

Can be picked up in supermarkets for mucho cheapness. Think someone found it on special offer in tesco for < £3
great stuff and great reults.

Ive got carbon lorrained pads in my clio and it removed all the disc and pad no problem at all!

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 01:41:38 pm »
Never used Iron-X but have used Hot Wheels a fair bit... sure does clean them up; but I always feel it's extremely strong/toxic...  bought some bilberry wheel cleaner recently, haven't used it yet but by all accounts a decent wheel cleaner without the acid.

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 02:10:31 pm »
Correct Bilberry isn't acidic. It's just Alkaline insted  :grin:

I used to think Bilberry was good. But Smartwheels is outstanding compared to Bilberry. I was shocked at how good it was and only bought it as it was on offer at the time.

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 02:15:24 pm »
Correct Bilberry isn't acidic. It's just Alkaline insted  :grin:

I used to think Bilberry was good. But Smartwheels is outstanding compared to Bilberry. I was shocked at how good it was and only bought it as it was on offer at the time.

pmsl! :grin:

Where's the Smartwheels at? This it>

haven't even used the billberry yet and looking at alternatives :rolleye:  i know ill use it all anyway, so nothing lost.

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 02:29:14 pm »
Lol i was the same.

Yes that's the stuff. I use it diluted at 5:1 and it removed 7 months worth of build up on my wheels. Only tar and really stubborn iron depostits were left as they had FK1000p/C5 on them. However you could only see it by getting really close to the wheels.

Invest in a good wheel brush too. Something like a Daytona Speedmaster or a Vikan wheel brush. Megs one's are ok but i found that the little rubber end came off the 2 i had (fortunately i noticed before gouging a wheel. Also i went through 2 of them in the space of about 8 months. Ive had my Daytona Speedmaster for about 18months now and it is still going strong.

Saintsteve

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 02:49:38 pm »
If you have painted wheels , I would avoid putting any sort of cleaners on them.

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 76
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 04:57:09 pm »
If you have painted wheels , I would avoid putting any sort of cleaners on them.

IronX is ok surely it's pH balanced...
Diesel Daily Hack.

Saintsteve

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 05:55:11 pm »

IronX is ok surely it's pH balanced...

I was advised by two separate detailing company's not to use on mine. just a decent Shampoo and Wheel Woolies is enough to keep them looking new.

would you put IronX on your bodywork???? It's the same isn't it, when you have gloss painted surface and a lacquer finish  :wink:

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
Re:
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2013, 06:52:20 pm »
If I was detailing a car that required it then yes I would use Iron-X on the paint.

It can be used on the paint with no harmful effects whatsoever as long as you are careful.

Saintsteve

Re:
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2013, 08:05:22 pm »
If I was detailing a car that required it then yes I would use Iron-X on the paint.

It can be used on the paint with no harmful effects whatsoever as long as you are careful.

I was careful Carl, but it still decided to eat the laquer off my alloys..
I'm sure the O.P's alloys aernt painted so let him crack on.