Make a donation

Author Topic: RNS-510 Live Traffic broadcast  (Read 2195 times)

Offline Degudodger

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 86
    • Flickr
RNS-510 Live Traffic broadcast
« on: July 02, 2013, 12:34:08 pm »
Does the RNS510 have the capabilty to show Live Traffic updates (congestion, accidents etc) on route like some of the TomTom devics, if it can is it limited to a certain version?

2016 Mk7 Golf GTD - Reflex Silver with stuff.

VCDS Hex+Can - Will code for beer!

Offline RetroRaz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 194
    • Email
Re: RNS-510 Live Traffic broadcast
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 01:01:59 pm »
Does the RNS510 have the capabilty to show Live Traffic updates (congestion, accidents etc) on route like some of the TomTom devics, if it can is it limited to a certain version?

Theres a button on the unit that says traffic, press it and it shows you where the congestion is, and even on the map you will get small icons of cars on the road the congestion is.

Works on my unit which is an old version B unit

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
Re: RNS-510 Live Traffic broadcast
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 01:20:56 pm »
Not limited to a certain version. IIRC its from firmware 1100 onwards that it displays the symbols on the Map.

However don't expect it to perform like TomTom as it won't. TomTom works off TMC and data (depending on how new it is) whereas the RNS works off Radio broadcast traffic. Hence you sometimes get told "Caution, Traffic Problems" or "You're route has been altered due to the current Traffic Situation" whilst driving on an empty motorway. Or you are stuck in traffic that according to the RNS doesn't exist.

A good example is the 50mph average speed through the roadworks on the M62. The RNS always tells me that traffic is queing for 4 miles - even at night when it's virtually empty. Whereas Co-Pilot on my iPhone will only tell me if their is heavy congestion (generally rush hour).