Make a donation

Author Topic: TOP GEAR - Is it getting Worse? Last nights episode was pointless  (Read 14698 times)

Offline Greeners

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
Re: TOP GEAR - Is it getting Worse? Last nights episode was pointless
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2013, 08:07:08 pm »
I've always watched it, always will watch it and don't think I've ever said a bad word about it on here before, but..........

Yeh overall it was a very poor episode! The taxi race was pretty much the same as the people carrier race they did with the touring car drivers a few years back. And don't start me on the Television centre farce! Now that was a waste of tax payers money, and not even what I'd call entertaining. I'm just really disappointed that a programme I have grown up with can get that tiresome and predictable!

Here's hoping the next episodes will be better, because I'll still be watching them regardless!

Offline flatout

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2013, 08:09:04 pm »
so theres not just me who thinks its lost its way,used to be the highlight of sunday night but the last episode was proper sh*te...

free running and motorbikes,thought it was a car show??????
stage 2+ Grey Ed30..DSG 362 BHP.380 lb/ft.....Also Statller Tuned :)

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2013, 08:19:55 pm »
Simple answer is the BBC no longer have the funding budget to make show stopping episodes week in, week out.

1st and last episodes 1/6 will be worth watching I expect  :signLOL:

Don't be daft, this show has a massive budget! It gets sold all around the world and probably has a billion viewers. Which is exactly why the 3 Stooges have, as someone pointed out, disappeared up their own arses into a massive fart cloud of self congratulatory smugness.

Saintsteve

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2013, 08:39:09 pm »
Simple answer is the BBC no longer have the funding budget to make show stopping episodes week in, week out.

1st and last episodes 1/6 will be worth watching I expect  :signLOL:

Don't be daft, this show has a massive budget! It gets sold all around the world and probably has a billion viewers. Which is exactly why the 3 Stooges have, as someone pointed out, disappeared up their own arses into a massive fart cloud of self congratulatory smugness.

BBC budgets have been cut =Fact
Disapearing up their own arses =your opinion  :confused:

How do explain the ever shortening series lengths .. and the fact that new series are more wide spread?

Offline GTI-Ross

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
  • Learning All The Time :)
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2013, 09:09:01 pm »
JC is a old fat loser now, i found him great for years, but can you really take his advice on cars anymore? Tiff Needel and Jason Plato do such a better job and you trust what they say because they can actually drive a car properly and dont prick about crashing on purpose....

MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | VWR SubFrame Mount | VibraTechnics Upper Engine Mount | VibraTechnic Transmission Mount | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline Ranbeer Singh

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2013, 10:43:30 pm »
IMO if its a petrol head show your after then it has to be Fifth Gear! They test the cars properly !  

Rick

Tiff Needel and Jason Plato do such a better job and you trust what they say because they can actually drive a car properly and dont prick about crashing on purpose....

:drinking:

Rick

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2013, 10:50:49 pm »
I really thought the 2nd episode would be better,; 3rd will be great! :popcornsoda:

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2013, 05:46:59 am »

Disapearing up their own arses =your opinion  :confused:

How do explain the ever shortening series lengths .. and the fact that new series are more wide spread?

Yes, I'm sure that an Olympic champion sailor, an Americas Cup winning crew, plus their million dollar boat and a trip to the other side of the world all come very cheaply? I also think that this is the second series to be aired this year, is it not?

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2013, 06:51:31 am »
To be fair it doesn't cost much to review cars, magazines do it so there is no reason why the allegedly worlds no 1 motoring programme can't. Again though they don't even review cars anymore they just roam arround making the same episodes over and over again but wearing differant clothes.

Can't say I can comment on this series because I don't watch it anymore.
MK5 EDITION 30 - CW - REVO S2+ - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

MK7 GTI - ARRIVING DECEMBER

MK2 GTI - RB - 1.8T - GARAGE QUEEN

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2013, 09:28:56 am »

Disapearing up their own arses =your opinion  :confused:

Yes, I'm sure that an Olympic champion sailor, an Americas Cup winning crew, plus their million dollar boat and a trip to the other side of the world all come very cheaply? I also think that this is the second series to be aired this year, is it not?

I imagine the boat crew were already there testing/training/practicing.

Just a film crew to ship over there and a hire car with damage excess waiver!  :grin:

Offline swgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 6
  • GTI owners are born not manufactured!
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2013, 10:08:16 am »

What's wrong with In the night garden!   :wink:

Clarkson doing a review on the Ninky Nonk, that would make great TV.
Laser Blue 3dr No 209683, Leather, Monza II's and a few other goodies...........GONE but not forgotten......now in an A4 S-Line Avant 170tdi......god I miss the Gti.

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2013, 01:50:11 pm »
I've always watched it, always will watch it and don't think I've ever said a bad word about it on here before, but..........

Yeh overall it was a very poor episode! The taxi race was pretty much the same as the people carrier race they did with the touring car drivers a few years back. And don't start me on the Television centre farce! Now that was a waste of tax payers money, and not even what I'd call entertaining. I'm just really disappointed that a programme I have grown up with can get that tiresome and predictable!

Here's hoping the next episodes will be better, because I'll still be watching them regardless!

That sums up my opinion pretty well. I have to agree that this series has had worst start ever...hope it gets better.

Although all these comments about a 'waste of tax payers money' is not exactly accurate! As SimonP mentioned above, TG gets sold all around the world and so the BBC actually make money from it.

Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2013, 01:51:54 pm »

That sums up my opinion pretty well. I have to agree that this series has had worst start ever...hope it gets better.

Although all these comments about a 'waste of tax payers money' is not exactly accurate! As SimonP mentioned above, TG gets sold all around the world and so the BBC actually make money from it.

Regardless of how much money it makes, that piece of film was a waste of money......... As soon as those guys smashed through the 'glass' I lost total interest.

Offline Ranbeer Singh

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email

Offline JustinP

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Justins Twitter
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2013, 06:16:50 pm »
I agree with what's been said, sometimes you get a pointless episode, the Africa specials are a good example, but then I go to work and non-car nuts are raving about it.

I think for a true car nut it's just not the program it was, and even Clarkson and Willman (the executive producer) even asked Top Gear readers about the monster they had created and whether things could get any worse because of the criticisms from car nuts, licence fee payers and as such, and were considering taking it back to becoming a car show or keep it as it was.

....then you get a real peach of an episode or even just a film, you have to admit the Mono review was shot beautifully and gave even the layman with no experience about cars a real feel what it was about, it's almost like a car advert, but it's this kind of thread, paper article or review that keeps Top Gear consistent in the ratings and popular amongst the general viewing public (who are a fickle bunch)

It's always good to read a balanced Top Gear thread.

Standard MK5 '05 Golf GTi