Make a donation

Author Topic: Best Place to live in England?  (Read 6314 times)

Offline sat1983

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Best Place to live in England?
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2013, 07:34:17 am »
I am a northerner but wouldn't advise moving here. There is a clear North/South divide in the UK and this applies to job opportunities. I would head down south- south west ideally as less crowded.

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2013, 06:33:21 pm »
Thinking of moving to England due to the dire situation in Ireland at present. I'm half English anyway, but grew up in Northern Ireland.

So where do we go? Hobbies - I like a bit of golf, mtb, football; she's big into horse riding. Both like eating out and visiting interesting/beautiful places.

Somewhere people are friendly and wouldn't hate us for not being local is very important.

North Northumberland
2005 Golf GTI 3 Door - Tornado Red. (2010 - 2012)

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)

Offline simonp

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2013, 10:28:17 am »
most places in bristol is a pit lol.. think people are thinking of somerset

Somerset is lovely and houses are very affordable. Don't buy a place on the Levels, though, as it could flood in heavy rain. Wiltshire is also very affordable and you get a nice amount of house for your money, good travel links and it's in Southern England, which is the best bit obviously!

If I could live anywhere it'd be the Cotswolds or West Berkshire, but the house prices are eye-watering. I used to live in the south east near London and wouldn't go back if you gave me a free house there. Too overcrowded and snarled up with traffic lights every 100 metres...

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2013, 10:20:20 pm »
Thinking of moving to England due to the dire situation in Ireland at present. I'm half English anyway, but grew up in Northern Ireland.

So where do we go? Hobbies - I like a bit of golf, mtb, football; she's big into horse riding. Both like eating out and visiting interesting/beautiful places.

Somewhere people are friendly and wouldn't hate us for not being local is very important.

North Devon. Falmouth in Cornwall is lovely too.

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2013, 10:50:32 pm »
I've lived in Leeds until uni, then B'ham for 6 years, Stoke for 13 months and now London for 1 year.

I cannot express in words how much I hate living in London, and the idea that I'm stuck here for another 3 years to complete my degree sends shudders up my spine. By far the worst place I have ever lived.

I personally don't mind B'ham but I would recommend somewhere in North Leeds. Quite pricey, but literally where my parents live we're far enough in the country that we get fresh milk delivered and have to pass the odd tractor in the summer months, yet are only 20 minutes away from town. If you like posh restaurants Leeds has plenty, tho all of Yorkshire's Michelin stars seem to be in North Yorkshire (which again really isn't far).

Also Manchester is less than an hour away, and London 2:20 on train if you fancy. And being roughly in the middle of England it has easy access to the coasts on either side via the M62 and a few national parks not too far away.

I am certainly planning on settling here when I am married with kids. I just wish my desired professional field was better catered for in the region. (Architecture should not be a problem here as Leeds is still being actively developed despite the recession - the new Arena for example.)
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2013, 01:40:56 pm »
SCOTLAND  :pomppomp: :star:

Golf, mountain biking, and Jobs Galore ! we also have horses (I think) the only thing is you'll need to travel down south if you want to watch a decent game of football!!
MK5 EDITION 30 - CW - REVO S2+ - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

MK7 GTI - ARRIVING DECEMBER

MK2 GTI - RB - 1.8T - GARAGE QUEEN

Offline bigeyd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 31
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2013, 06:54:10 pm »
Coventry  :pomppomp:

okay maybe not :ashamed:

Offline sootpig

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2013, 06:57:44 pm »
SCOTLAND  :pomppomp: :star:

Golf, mountain biking, and Jobs Galore ! we also have horses (I think) the only thing is you'll need to travel down south if you want to watch a decent game of football!!

and men in skirts :love:     
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 08:30:50 pm by sootpig »

Offline Christian1402

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2013, 10:51:30 am »
The Lake District is by far the nicest place to be in the uk. Love it up here, just not great for house prices, job opportunities etc. oh and everyone seems to know everyone else's business.

Offline scooba

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: August 18, 2013, 05:56:38 am »
^^^^ Bourton On The Water for me. Go there every year.  :happy2:

Why not find the job/jobs your both after (wherever that may be) and then look into those areas as places to live and set down roots. Every area in the country will have some great places to make a home.

I love where I live (in a market town in Sussex) as its perfect for me, my family, my life, my hobbies and interests but others may hate it, as always ETTO. We're 30 mins from the coast, 40 mins from the big smoke, 15 mins from Gatwick, more countryside than you can shake a stick at, horse sh*t and golf balls everywhere and the development (always good for architects) NEVER stops.

Good luck in your search PJ.  :drinking:

Sussex as well.  Always building and all of the above

Offline john a

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 11
    • The Veneers Cover Band
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2013, 09:34:20 am »
Stamford is, according to the press, the best place to live in the UK. I was there yesterday and personally can't really see it (although I did have a rather nice steak sandwich, but that's not really a reason to live somewhere.

I grew up in the West Midlands/Worcestershire and have lived in Birmingham and North London. I'm quite happy to be living back in the (East) Midlands, largely from a convenience point of view. 35 mins from Derby, Nottingham and Birmingham; EMA is 20 mins, BHX is half an hour; Sheffield an hour away; Manchester, Liverpool, Bristol and London are two hours and you're right on the M1, M6 and M42. Decent shops and restaurants on the doorstep too.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2013, 11:19:14 pm »
Home is where your heart is but....

Very unspoilt countryside and relatively easy access to other parts of the UK and Europe. Great local food.

It's also near the sea but you've got hills and woods inland.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 02:03:08 pm by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!