Make a donation

Author Topic: Which wheel seelent?  (Read 3743 times)

Offline vRS Carl

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
Re:
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2013, 07:35:55 pm »

It's very true. I myself run Collinite 476s (which is more durable than FK1000p) and it lasts for maybe 3 months tops. I have seen ceramic coatings (and I shall link you to one in a little bit) last for over 2 years on a car with huuuuge 360mm discs and sintered pads.
I would expect a year durability.

Opinion is divided on FK & Colli. Also YOU haven't seen a Ceramic coating last 2yrs. Only what someone else has posted. I would be extremely surprised if any coating lasted that long on a car that was driven daily especially in the UK. Maybe in the outback of Australia were that link is for. But certainly not in the UK

"Just as well" - not better. the durability of C5 and any other ceramic coating is all in the application. The wheel MUST MUST MUST MUST be THOROUGHLY Iron X'd, clayed, Iron X'd again, followed by an IPA wipe down to ensure that absolutely nothing interferes with the bond between the sealant and the clear coat.

When i did the wheels i cleaned them with Bilberry first followed by Iron-X followed by Tardis followed by Claying followed by wash with shampoo then machine polished followed by IPA followed by Eraser before i applied any of the coatings. So i reckon they were clean enough  :wink:

As you say, i also take everything i see on DW with a pinch of salt. But i don't take 50 ppl saying Coating X is better than Coating Y anymore as i've found a lot of people justify something is "so good" because they have been caught up in the hype and bought it only to find that it's actually not that much better if at all.

Two products alone in the past 5yrs have made me say "wow" and have lived up to the hype. But i don't go on about them as it is just my opinion

An example of hype,

Swissvax Crystal Rock - Applied by a professional detailer lasted approx 3months on my car - No where near the stated 6mths+ and in that time the car was only ever washed with a PH neutral shampoo and a lambswool mitt using the 2BM.

Nanolex Ultra - 18mths stated durability - i got 10mths before it wore off and that was with a correctly prepared screen. I am currently trying Gtechniq G1 and after 3mths it's so far so good although i think the hydrophobicity of Nanolex is better. GTechniq claim upto 2yrs/30k miles. Not seen a thread were anyone has got past 12mths on a daily driver (not saying there isn't one so no need to go hunting for it  :P)

I think the cars that they get these claims from are weekend drivers or only brought out once every blue moon.

As i said everyone has there opinion about which is best (bit like the "which remap is best") as long as you read all the info and use it to make your own informed decision before you buy then i think most people will be happy with their choice :happy2:

Offline petesimcock

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
Re: Which wheel seelent?
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2013, 07:58:14 pm »
I found poorboys wheel sealant to be a bit poor tbh. Quite nice to apply but wheels still noticeably dirty after a PW rinse 1 week on. That is only with 1 coat though. I think I will look into a ceramic coating when my wheels are refurbed