Make a donation

Author Topic: Aftermarket Entertainment System  (Read 8298 times)

Offline Leebo310

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 5
Re: Aftermarket Entertainment System
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2013, 08:50:57 pm »
Here's some pics of it installed.

55 plate GTI DSG / Revo remap / Miltek cat back exhaust / Evolution Motorsport Induction Kit / Sony XAV 62-BT head unit/ LED Rear numberplate lights

Offline jp19770

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
  • Support monkey
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2013, 09:51:20 pm »
looks like a good fit
:happy2:

How easy was the fitting ?

JP
2005 Standard Tornado Red DSG

Offline JoeDarKa

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 57
  • -Receive: 73
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2013, 10:06:01 pm »
Too busy for my liking but a good option for those on a budget

GT Sport - Reflex Silver 2.0 TDI My Build

Offline Leebo310

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2013, 10:11:08 pm »
looks like a good fit
:happy2:

How easy was the fitting ?

JP

Really easy mate, removed the trim and removed a few bolts and then did a straight swap. The only bit that took me a little bit of time was trying to get the ipod lead through into the glove box but even this was only five minutes!
Did the whole thing in about half an hour.
55 plate GTI DSG / Revo remap / Miltek cat back exhaust / Evolution Motorsport Induction Kit / Sony XAV 62-BT head unit/ LED Rear numberplate lights

Offline chrispygti

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2013, 10:39:07 pm »
Have you got a link to the one you purchased in the UK?

Offline Leebo310

• Always Involved
  • Thank You

Offline coolhandluke

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2013, 08:57:00 am »
Thanks for the write up and the pics,for the money it looks well,pity it dosn't take post codes.

Offline Leebo310

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2013, 01:08:13 pm »
Ok so after a few days of living with it (as realistically I feared would happen) the unit has already started playing up... :sad1:

For a start the unit randomly keeps changing the time and date. It seems to be that whenever you go through a couple of features (so use the CD, then go to adjust the EQ, then go to Bluetooth for example) the time then gains 6 hours...

When I got in it this morning, the time had remained accurate but the date had decided to jump to 31st of January 2014

If it was just this then realistically I could live with it, but there are several more issues too 
The "loud" button on the front simply does not work at all. You can turn the loudness on and off through the EQ menu, but the actual button itself does precisely f**k all...
Also most of the time the CD refuses to eject and the unit then has to be turned off. I push eject, the CD makes a noise but no disc comes out. If you then try to go back to the CD option it tells you there is no device. You then have to power the unit off and try this again another two times before it actually gives you the CD

Finally and probably most worringly is that the unit has a habit of freezing and even superimposing menus over the top of each other. It has a calibration setting tool that renders the whole unit useless. You track the calibration, then when you go back to the main screen to try and play a CD for example it just keeps performing the calibration tracking lines over the top of whatever menu you are in.

This has happened every single time I've tried to adjust the calibration.

Again, only way to stop this is to turn the unit off and leave it for a few seconds.

I've emailed the seller and to be fair they have replied very quickly, although they have said that they need me to send them a video of the issues so their "engineers" can see exactly what the problem is (which I've done)

Will post again when they have come back to me but at the moment it's looking like cheap Chinese rubbish is living up to it's name...

Oh something I've noticed is that you can only have one phone connected to the unit via Bluetooth. In our A6, the car automatically pairs to either mine or my wifes phone depending on who's in the car.

With this unit you need to reconnect the second phone if you've connected the other in between. Ie, it automatically connected to my phone each time on Friday and Saturday.  My wife drove it on Sunday and successfully connected her phone yet when I've driven it this morning it's now "forgotten" my phone.

To be fair, this isn't a fault as far as I'm aware, it's just the way the unit works (or rather doesn't work!

Offline Scottymon

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2013, 01:15:30 pm »
Nice review, sounds like a bit of a mare - I suppose that's why the genuine stuff has a premium cost.  

Offline Leebo310

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2013, 01:19:37 pm »
Nice review, sounds like a bit of a mare - I suppose that's why the genuine stuff has a premium cost.  

Ha, yeah and that if something looks too good to be true then it usually is!
I'll see what they come back with, they've already offered to replace the unit but with so many faults my guess would be that another one isn't going to be much better...

Offline rob-gti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2013, 04:26:36 pm »
shame there are so many issues with it!
it looked promising as a cost effective alternative at first glance! looks like i gotta start saving for an oem unit!

Offline Leebo310

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2013, 06:30:03 pm »
shame there are so many issues with it!
it looked promising as a cost effective alternative at first glance! looks like i gotta start saving for an oem unit!

Yep, think I do too! :sad1:

Offline Leebo310

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2013, 09:53:31 am »
Update is that the unit has now been returned and refunded in full.
To be fair the staff at Erisin were really good and helpful, it was just the unit itself that was a pile of junk  :smiley:

Have ordered a Sony XAV72-BT which turned up yesterday (decided we could live without the sat nav) and just waiting on the facia plate bracket bit before I hopefully fit it on the weekend.
Will try and post some pics up when it's in.

Offline Marky5Mark

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2013, 07:01:25 pm »
I bought something similar and had the same nightmare fiasco on ebay the same as you man with sound and electrics playing up til it eventually stopped working, pity I didn't see this thread before now as when I got my refund I ordered a Pioneer App Radio and I love it, its made for ipod, iphone specifically although you can plug your android phones into this as well!!

features on it are great as in working your ipod iphone directly on the unit making calls, satnav and everything and only for in around £250

if I get a chance later I will post up the ebay link if others want to check it out but DEF everyone stay away from these cheap jap copies, as the saying goes.. ya get what ya pay for!!!  

Offline Leebo310

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2013, 10:14:56 am »
I bought something similar and had the same nightmare fiasco on ebay the same as you man with sound and electrics playing up til it eventually stopped working, pity I didn't see this thread before now as when I got my refund I ordered a Pioneer App Radio and I love it, its made for ipod, iphone specifically although you can plug your android phones into this as well!!

features on it are great as in working your ipod iphone directly on the unit making calls, satnav and everything and only for in around £250

if I get a chance later I will post up the ebay link if others want to check it out but DEF everyone stay away from these cheap jap copies, as the saying goes.. ya get what ya pay for!!!  

Ha, sorry to hear you suffered the same fate mate although makes me feel a bit better knowing I'm not the only one that tried the cheap tack! :laugh:
Yeah I looked at the Pioneer too as have always had really good experiences with them before but I couldn't live without the cd mechanism.
I'm looking forward to fitting the Sony though, all the reviews look good and it's an awesome looking unit. Just waiting on the facia plate bit and one more lead to turn up!