Make a donation

Author Topic: Was anyone else surprised with how quick these GTIs actually are??  (Read 2190 times)

Offline Gaz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
I bought my GTI a week ago and still cant get over how quick it seems to be. Is it just me?

It does have a Milltek cat-back, Neuspeed intake and Forge diverter valve, but none of these should be making it much over the standard 200bhp?

It had a stage 1 APR remap until VW wiped it with a software update (before i bought it).

Ive got a de-cat downpipe and non-resonated centre section on their way and a stage 2 remap on Friday, if it really is going to gain another 70bhp (270bhp claim) i cannot wait!

I sometimes think it maybe is actually still mapped, it seems to go very well for a 200bhp heavy car!?

Anyone else overly impressed with how quick they are standard??? If not, maybe it is mapped and i wont see the gains im expecting after stage 2!  :laugh:

Offline john87

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 53
    • Email
Re: Was anyone else surprised with how quick these GTIs actually are??
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 12:30:33 pm »
I thought exactly the same when test-driving a 'standard' one at my local VW dealer, which I then went on to buy..

..only to find out later that it was pushing 240bhp (once I fitted the air intake) and 280 torques! Saved me £300 or so on a remap  :wink:
VCDS Hex-USB +CAN (Central Scotland)

Offline berg

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 12:36:32 pm »
my stg 2+ eddie still has the ability to surprise me when you have not had the chance to have a good blast for a while, point to point they can really shift once all the handling/transmission mods are sorted  :driver:
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline Gaz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 12:40:10 pm »
I thought exactly the same when test-driving a 'standard' one at my local VW dealer, which I then went on to buy..

..only to find out later that it was pushing 240bhp (once I fitted the air intake) and 280 torques! Saved me £300 or so on a remap  :wink:

Was it already remapped? Or just doing good power standard!?

A stage 2 Ed will be even more fun! :D

Offline keano

• Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 02:56:20 pm »
Had a blast with a 182 last night. It was quicker than I thought!!! :confused:

Offline Gaz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 03:01:41 pm »
Hmm im beginning to think mine maybe is still mapped, i doubt it would struggle with a Clio 182!

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 03:19:10 pm »
Can also depend on what you're coming from.

I came from a mk2 1.6, so the GTI was a beast compared to that.
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline keano

• Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 04:08:32 pm »
Hmm im beginning to think mine maybe is still mapped, i doubt it would struggle with a Clio 182!

The car is running 320bhp. It should have eaten the Clio and spat it out lol. But it wasn't as easy as that! :(

Offline burt2000

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 04:21:27 pm »
was the 182 standard? id have thought a 320bhp golf would absolutely destroy a 182! :surprised:

Im getting my GTI back today the DV was fkd when we went to load the revo stage 1 and DSG map on sunday and it was only giving us 0.4 bar instead of 1.2! Just got a pic of the old DV and the rubber seal is tore to bits, my mechanic said he took it for a spin there and its boosting very nicely. just hoping i notice a nice lift in power/torque when i pick it up later :drool:

Offline Gaz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 04:31:17 pm »
A 320bhp would not see a clio 182 in its way! Unless its a pretty special 182, or an unhealthy Golf?  :scared:

Burt, what stage map did you go for? I presume it was the common diverter valve that failed with the higher boost?

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 04:43:24 pm »

The car is running 320bhp. It should have eaten the Clio and spat it out lol. But it wasn't as easy as that! :(

think you have a problem mate i have had loads of clio 182s and my golf running same power as yours would spank em all even running stock power in the ed30 they are close isn but not with 320bhp. think you need your car looking at or the clio was in no way stock but then again nor are you stock

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline burt2000

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 05:02:31 pm »
A 320bhp would not see a clio 182 in its way! Unless its a pretty special 182, or an unhealthy Golf?  :scared:

Burt, what stage map did you go for? I presume it was the common diverter valve that failed with the higher boost?

Just going stage 1 at the minute with a CAI, and then when i get sorted with a Milltek DP and centre section ill go for stage2. Think ill stay at that as for stage2+ your looking at an IC and HPFP which cost a fair bit for an extra 10-15 horses or torques

Yeah it was the standard diverter valve, it threw up a fault when we ran the diagnostic before loading on the sortware,so had it replaced today and anew cam follower just in case. looking forward to taking it out for a spin later

Offline Pikey Motorsports

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 05:03:27 pm »
theres a nice supercharged 182 by me apparently 270hp when i was stage 2 320hp that was not a prob
TSR PERFORMANCE GTX30 520BHP
LITCHFIELD R35 GT-R 660BHP
MSL E63 AMG 720BHP
HCP BM3 M5 800BHP

Offline Wardy91-ed30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 05:18:12 pm »
I was surprised at my standard ed30 been quick tbh. But once you start playing with it map, exsaust ect, you realise what an animal it can be lol. Embarrass a lot of motors :smiley:

Offline Homer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 08:22:04 pm »
I was actually the opposite- I was very dissapointed when I first bought the GTi as it did not feel quick at all! however a remap soon sorted that out  :driver: