Make a donation

Author Topic: Selling Private Number Plate  (Read 763 times)

Offline marka87uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
Selling Private Number Plate
« on: August 24, 2013, 08:40:35 am »
Hi, i have a private plate on my car which is in the old prefix style - One letter, one number, and then my initials.

I've seen another plate I want to buy but I'm trying to determine if I should try selling the current plate or letting it go back to the DVLA - it'll cost £105 to take it off and keep it on retention + £25 per year after that - but I can't see it selling quickly to be honest after looking at other classifieds on eBay etc, so it seems like it might be more cost and hassle to try and sell it! It cost £250 in the first place and similar style ones are still that price to buy from the DVLA.

What do you think? Is there anywhere which'll actually offer to buy them instead of giving exaggerated valuations in an attempt to make you list an ad with them? :)
Steel Grey Edition 30 DSG

Offline sub39h

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
Re: Selling Private Number Plate
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 10:44:25 am »
i had a private plate on my old car, but a better one came along so when i bought a new car i just left the old one on the old car. like you say it was too much hassle to sort out keeping the old one and i wasn't particularly happy with it so would have never used it on another car and it didn't really mean anything to anyone else.
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline marka87uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 01:02:13 pm »
Thanks, I think I'll just let it go then! Seems a bit of a waste but the costs of keeping or trying it doesn't make it worthwhile!

Offline Snoopy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 01:31:06 pm »
Have you not tried selling to sell it to one of those number plate companies im sure one of them would be interested due to the style it is.
Ex mk5 GTI owner, moved to a mk6 in 2010.

Offline marka87uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 04:50:10 pm »
Can you recommend one? All I found was companies who offer to list it in their classifieds (and then take commission!) - they don't actually buy it from you. :smiley: