Make a donation

Author Topic: New Windscreen - national windscreens  (Read 3623 times)

Offline Marc-5-GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
New Windscreen - national windscreens
« on: August 27, 2013, 10:12:11 am »
Rather than bring up a thread from 2009.....

So... My windscreen has cracked...
Got an appointment tomorrow to get it changed and I've called to make sure it's the same glass (it's not VW because its older than 3yrs old)
They say it has the green tint and the rain and light sensors and that the glass is exactly the same just without a VW badge...

Unfortunately I'm away with work so my sister is having to look over their workmanship..... Anything she should look out for please?!? Do tell...

Thanks
3dr Reflex Silver GTI | BBS VZ | Eibach Sportlines | Cumbria

Offline Jamie3184

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Re: New Windscreen - national windscreens
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 10:24:15 am »
Be carfeul with a non genuine VW windscreen. The ED30 i bought must of had its windscreen replaced by one of the previous owners and it leaked, water ended up corroding the CCM and wiring which made the alarm play up and set off at random. It was a non VW windscreen, might of just not been sealed properly rather than the windscreen itself.

After paying top price for the car itself i have had to spend a good few thousand on it getting it upto a car that is now what i thought i had bought.

Offline Beddie

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 76
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 10:52:13 am »
I've always insisted on an OEM screen and had no trouble other than having to be a little firm when dealing with my insurers about it, had OEM screens on cars older than 3 years too so stick to your guns if you want a genuine screen  :wink:

Also, question the fitters beforehand about the removal method of the old screen, there is a particular method and tooling required for the mk5 and other cars with a bonded windscreen (cheese wire type affair with a ratchet mechanism that suckers to the inside of the screen),
Autoglass in my case first denied the existence of such a method but backed down after admitting they just didn't have a trained fitter for it lol! One 'master fitter' later and some blowing of dust of the correct equipment they did a spot on job as they did subsequent times on the same car a year later and the next car after that...
I'm known at the local branch as the 'picky bloke' with the nice car, but I hate shoddy jobs in general never mind on the car  :happy2:
Just to note, when they did my last screen (with the correct removal method) the fitter openly admitted that it was a pain to use and took longer and seemed quite proud about telling me how his next job was another mk5 golf albeit a lease car and he was just going to cut the screen out the quick way...

Tornado Red ED30 : Number 1644 - Gone

Carbon Grey Edition 35 - Here

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 10:57:33 am »
I've always insisted on an OEM screen and had no trouble other than having to be a little firm when dealing with my insurers about it, had OEM screens on cars older than 3 years too so stick to your guns if you want a genuine screen  :wink:

Also, question the fitters beforehand about the removal method of the old screen, there is a particular method and tooling required for the mk5 and other cars with a bonded windscreen (cheese wire type affair with a ratchet mechanism that suckers to the inside of the screen),
Autoglass in my case first denied the existence of such a method but backed down after admitting they just didn't have a trained fitter for it lol! One 'master fitter' later and some blowing of dust of the correct equipment they did a spot on job as they did subsequent times on the same car a year later and the next car after that...
I'm known at the local branch as the 'picky bloke' with the nice car, but I hate shoddy jobs in general never mind on the car  :happy2:
Just to note, when they did my last screen (with the correct removal method) the fitter openly admitted that it was a pain to use and took longer and seemed quite proud about telling me how his next job was another mk5 golf albeit a lease car and he was just going to cut the screen out the quick way...

Interesting to know that beddie  :happy2:

I would have just thought that there is a set method for all types of glass removal.
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

Offline Marc-5-GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2013, 11:59:22 am »
Thanks for that lads!

Dreading it now like... But they said that Admiral won't let them put the VW glass in so it's a dead end :( just gonna have to hope for the best!

Offline Dannyboy88

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2013, 01:18:42 pm »
They did a sh*t job of my screen on the jetta. Turned up without the right tools to do the job so had to come back the next day then once the new one was fitted there were spots of black silicone dotted around the screen!! Bloody hard stuff to remove! I wasnt happy at all. Im with admiral as well and they wouldnt let me use any other company to fit the screen as i could have got autoglass out the next day to sort it! Can you not cancel the appointment with them and book it for when your going to be there?

Offline Marc-5-GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 03:14:36 pm »
It's a massive crack that I don't wanna risk leaking in... I have my Brother in law and dad on the case now... Watching over them... Fingers crossed it'll be good! I've told them about everything that I would do so it should be ok!

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 03:22:50 pm »

Keep us posted  :happy2:

Offline Marc-5-GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 03:31:11 pm »
For your information......

Offline Banham

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 15
  • GTI MK6
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 04:00:53 pm »
I had mine replaced by them about 1 month ago by them. I was impressed with the guy i had. He told me that i had a little rust patch under the windscreen on the pillar and was very careful when working around the car.
The crack i had was right from the bottom to the top. Couldnt fault his work apart from the windscreen cleaner was sh*te and smeared the windscreen when the sun hit it.

Offline alexmccabe

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 12
    • Alex McCabe
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 04:27:02 pm »
Before I got my car, the garage had the screen replaced. It's Pilkington glass. It chips really, really easily. There is one right in my field of view and is very annoying. It's only small, but still there. There are another 10 or so dotted about the screen. I've only had it since Feb. Avoid Pilkington glass!

MK5 Golf GTi 197BHP Tornado Red

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 07:01:00 pm »
Rain sensor and anti dazzle rear view mirror need checked for operation cause they tend to fall apart!

Offline Dannyboy88

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2013, 08:05:12 pm »
The crack in my screen was bigger than that i had to wait a week and half before they could fit me in. Never leaked though, and i travel 50+ miles a day to work in all weather. Fingers crossed you get someone who knows that there doing unlike the 2 numptys i got.

Offline Dave J

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 63
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55935.0.html
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2013, 09:36:39 pm »
My experience is not with a mk5, but I think the mk5 screen has the same rubber channel at the top of the screen. I had a new screen fitted to my old mkiv, and seemed all ok for a while until I washed the car in a different position to usual (nose down a hill, rather than up). Don't know why the position made a different, but I immediately noticed leaks around the rear view mirror / interior light.

Upon closer inspection, the top seal where it fixed to the roof was all over the place. Some very low spots in the seal which must have caused the leak.

Took it back to RAC screens, and it was refitted by a senior tech. Never had a problem after that, but still had to complain to have the headlining cleaned to remove the water marks - this was after they had the car for an entire day  :fighting:

Hope you get it sorted ok!

Edition 30 - no. 1387

Offline Marc-5-GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 10:53:18 am »
Because I was getting no where over the phone trying for a VW window,y sister waited until they arrived and then told them I wanted one and they said that I may have to push my insurers or pay extra for an OEM screen and it'll take a few days longer to arrive