Make a donation

Author Topic: Revo problem  (Read 1394 times)

Offline Meallbhan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Revo problem
« on: September 14, 2013, 03:18:50 pm »
Hi all,

I have a strange problem with my revo remap, its a stage 1 with no extras.

Last winter I was doing a bit of work under the bonnet and had the battery disconnected for about 3 to 4 hours, when the job was done I went for a drive and the remap had gone. Not completely, it was still there but it had reset all the values to zero so was running but felt all flat and lifeless as you can imagine. I went back to revo and they reinstalled the settings. They said that disconnecting the battery should not have made any difference. He thought, maybe, that 3 to 4 hrs of disconnection may have done it but wasn't convinced.

Last night I was fitting a new stereo to the car with a new canbus gateway box, so I followed instructions to disconnect the battery to install the box, to be on the safe side. I remembered the 3 to 4 hour thing so I got everything prepared so I just had to have the battery undone for a few minutes this time. It was disconnected for a maximum of 5 minutes. I got everything done and reconnected the battery as quick as possible.

Low and behold, I've lost my remap again! Revo is shut all weekend so I can't contact them till monday.

Its seems to have reset itself to all zeros again.  Has anyone any ideas as to why this keeps happening? Surely this shouldn't happen every time the battery is undone.

Thanks.

Offline Jonny

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 14
  • G7R Owner
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,45008.0.html
Re: Revo problem
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 03:35:41 pm »
Think it has something to do with the ecu... Always happens on revo maps, even if you disconnect your battery for 2 mins. Just go back to the revoand they will put your map back on  :happy2:

Offline bacillus

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 04:38:57 pm »
depending on your location, one of the registered vcds owners with a revo map may be able to use their sps switch to reset your map if you know your settings.
 http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,120.msg1061.html#msg1061
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline Homer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 06:08:30 pm »
Happ to me when I had the timing belt done- the software is still there it has just switched to stock as the batt was disconnected.

If you go back to where you got the map done they should switch it for free, mine did. Takes about 2 mins.

Offline Meallbhan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 06:24:28 pm »
Thanks for your replies, my revo dealer is only about 2 miles from the house so is no problem going to see them to get the settings put back in. Its just a pain in the hoop that this happens every time the batt is disconnected.  Is there not a fix available for this, apart from buying an SPS switch. Then again, the revo guy said that wouldnt work to reinstall the settings, it can only turn revo map on or off.

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 07:00:32 pm »
Your revo guy doesn't sound like he knows what he talking about.....

Battery disconnect sets timing, boost, fuel to 0. Sometimes boost to 1.

If you get a sps plus switch you can put the settings back on yourself using the switch.

A standard sps switch can also be used but your dealer needs to set the boost, fuel and timing to your cars settings.

Offline Meallbhan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 02:04:45 am »
Your revo guy doesn't sound like he knows what he talking about.....

Battery disconnect sets timing, boost, fuel to 0. Sometimes boost to 1.

If you get a sps plus switch you can put the settings back on yourself using the switch.

A standard sps switch can also be used but your dealer needs to set the boost, fuel and timing to your cars settings.

Yes thats exactly what I thought, I'll need to quiz him again.

Offline jamma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 07:22:01 am »
Can I ask a stupid question , what is the canbus box ? Is it something that stops the battery drain for new stereos ? I have a different stereo fitted which doesn't turn off when the keys are removed from the ignition . I always take the face off anyway but if I leave my car for three days the battery is dead so I am assuming its battery drain although not sure why if stereo is not on !!

I have a revo map also BTW

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 08:56:44 am »
If you have a non-OEM headunit then your canbus gateway isn't the problem for it not turning off.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline skard

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 09:20:41 am »
Can I ask a stupid question , what is the canbus box ? Is it something that stops the battery drain for new stereos ? I have a different stereo fitted which doesn't turn off when the keys are removed from the ignition . I always take the face off anyway but if I leave my car for three days the battery is dead so I am assuming its battery drain although not sure why if stereo is not on !!

I have a revo map also BTW

On aftermarket HU's you also get a CANbus box with those designed for the mk5 - it gives it switched live, steering controls, dashboard data, dimming with car lights etc. This is a flat box, about 2"x1".

Different to the CAN gateway, which as above won't be the cause of your battery drain with an aftermarket stereo.
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)