Make a donation

Author Topic: Bluefin question for Dsg owners..  (Read 11183 times)

Offline Hedge

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
Re: Bluefin question for Dsg owners..
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2009, 10:19:18 pm »
Ive most proberly read the columes wrong. What does it say Ian...... in english please mate :wink:

When they talk about actual and requested bost it is in millibars but you have to deduct the ambient pressure which is usually in the order of 1 bar or 1000 millibars. The ECU will also log the ambient so you can do the math yourself.

At 1.8 bar your K04 would last like a swan vesta.  :wink:

Methinks your symtoms are caused because the box doesn't expect the torque. If I change on full throttle at 3-4k the car surges but if I go hunting the redline it is much smoother as there is less torque. My theory anyway.

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2009, 10:23:30 pm »
My sweet fellow. Thankyou kind sir for explaining.

Good point about the redline theory. No wonder you drive like a man possessed  :wink:

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2009, 10:45:23 pm »
Good point about the redline theory. No wonder you drive like a man possessed  :wink:

Nope not me. Just like to make steady progress where possible.  :wink:

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2009, 10:46:50 pm »
Good point about the redline theory. No wonder you drive like a man possessed  :wink:

Nope not me. Just like to make steady progress where possible.  :wink:
oh of course  :chicken:

One thing i have noticed is my average fuel consumption has dropped a few miles per gallon, but im sure to stick my neck out and say its all my fault :drinking:
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 10:48:32 pm by Phil Mcavity »

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2009, 12:23:46 pm »
1.8 bar , I nearly split my lunch on that quote........... :laugh:
now youve started Phil its never gonna stop  :pomppomp:
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline SO8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2009, 01:26:43 pm »
Methinks your symtoms are caused because the box doesn't expect the torque. If I change on full throttle at 3-4k the car surges but if I go hunting the redline it is much smoother as there is less torque. My theory anyway.

Yep, agree totally .... I had this with the 'newer' Edition 30 DSG remap and put it down to the massive amount of extra torque this map delivered.  It worked fine but was almost like someone with their favourite meal in front of them trying to take too much of a mouthful ... it all goes in but you have a bit of a struggle  :laugh:

Everything worked fine but I didn't like the pause it seemingly created - and worried slightly that the gearbox wasn't totally enjoying it's new found freedom .... so went back to the older Superchips DSG remap which has about 350Nm as opposed to the 415 Nm of the newest map.  Since going back to the 'older' map I may not have the massive mid range surge but I don't also have that 'pause' you refer to.   

Their older map does not 'do away' with the gearbox torque limiter so I, for one, seem to get 5-6 bhp peak less with the older map on their RR .... though that may only be down to the petrol !

I did read somewhere that the box as standard copes well with torque levels up to 400 Nm but can get 'confused' when it sees levels over that ..... don't know how true but it explains the pause whilst it thinks about it !  The same article / thread said the gearbx can take the torque without issue - it is just the mechatronics unit isn't programmed to handle those levels ... thus the confusion / pause as it works it out !

I am sure Superchips wouldn't do something that could harm the car - it just seems a characteristic of the gearbox.  I for one prefer the older map as a result .... though do miss that massive surge that surprises other drivers before they can react  :evilgrin:   That said, what I have is massively different to standard particularly at the top end  :smiley:

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2009, 07:17:41 pm »
THANX EVERYONE :grouphug:

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2009, 01:02:47 pm »
 Ok just wanted to update the progress on my Bluefin stage 1 remap.

Its been on for over 2 weeks and has you have proberly read, i wasnt very pleased on a couple of issues, 1 being that since the remap there was a sort of pause or delay when going up the gears when under throttle. The other complaint was in the rev range between 2400 to just under 3000 rpm, the car would never excellerate smoothly and felt quick lumpy at times.Also the fact my Data logs were not satisfactory with timing issues raised by some people from here.
Anyways this past saturday morning, got up nice and early for a quick quiet blast on the motorway, ideal conditions, blue skys, no traffic, damp air conditions. Ok sat doing 70mph in 6th gear, tried to pass a car in the middle lane under gental throttle, next thing i know the car is stuttering, like a lean sneeze at 2500rpm, rev counter needle is flicking up/down, no sign of engine warning lights, so first thought was get off the motorway soon as, and revert phylis back to stock, fortunatly, bluefin handset in the boot, reload map and codgitate what was wrong.
I couldnt find out from superchips being it was a saturday, as they are closed, so had to run the car for the rest of the weekend back on stock setting. I continued with the car for the rest of saturday/sunday, and car drove absolutley perfectly.

So come monday morning, gave superchips a ring to find out what map was installed on my car with its handset, to find out from their technical team, that a "Manual" map had been supplied and not DSG!!.

So i received my new map after putting the phone down and installed it on here early this morning, and all i can say is WOW!
Not only has the delay or flatspot area in 2-3000 rpm range disapeared, the gearchange on the DSG has returned to its normal, no pause self!!!, the car is running absolutley superbly, and a real joy to drive, totally changed the feel of the car, and she's as smooth as standard, even just with a couple of hours under its belt at this early stage with a new map.

Thanks for superships honesty in their genuine mistake, and if anyones thinking of going Bluefin, then from me, it now gets a huge thumbs up.

:drinking:

« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 01:04:58 pm by Phil Mcavity »

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2009, 01:11:15 pm »
That's great news Phil, I can imagine how pleased you feel.  It's so annoying when something just doesn't seem to be working how it should but you can't source the fault or you are being told there is no fault.

Hallelujah moment :happy2:

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2009, 01:11:30 pm »
 :pomppomp: :pomppomp: :happy2:

Glad it's all sorted Steve!  :happy2:

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2009, 01:12:00 pm »
Hallelujah  :pomppomp:

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2009, 01:15:28 pm »
That's great news Phil, I can imagine how pleased you feel.  It's so annoying when something just doesn't seem to be working how it should but you can't source the fault or you are being told there is no fault.

Hallelujah moment :happy2:
:pomppomp: :pomppomp: :happy2:

Glad it's all sorted Steve!  :happy2:
Hallelujah  :pomppomp:

Cheers Guys...
 and thanks to all the help from the people that ive been speaking to getting hints from. you can all sleep well  :happy2:

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2009, 01:15:49 pm »
Glad its sorted.  :smiley:

But i thought they dont have separate maps for the DSG anymore.  :chicken:

Offline john_o