Make a donation

Author Topic: DSG judder when cold advice please  (Read 2612 times)

Offline Human Joist

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 18
DSG judder when cold advice please
« on: October 06, 2013, 08:25:40 am »
As above really I have a DSG mk5 2005 gti for the last three months. When I start The car and pull off it judders. Almost like a pulse in 1st as if it's thinking about what gear to go in to.  Lasts a few gear changes then it's fine. Only when it's cold started. If I drive off hard it's not noticeable. However I don't like to drive hard when it's cold. It's covered 87k and I have had the gearbox service done and that's not cured it. Any ideas suggestions please

Offline Hurdy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
Re: DSG judder when cold advice please
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 09:04:56 am »
Doesn't sound like your typical mechatronics unit fault. More likely to be a DMF issue.

Does the gearbox give a rumbling sound at idle when cold, a bit like something rattling inside a washer?
Golf R gone.

Offline bacillus

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 09:28:08 am »
No harm in trying a basic setting for the dsg box if you find someone with a vcds cable near to you.
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,120.msg1061.html#msg1061
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline Human Joist

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 12:26:52 pm »
It had a reset when serviced my my Indy mate cheers. Tried what you said just. Started car let it run and listened, can't  really hear what you describe. I gave the engine a blip or two and after it had run for a couple of minutes drove off without issue. Just wondering if it's a cold start issue that will cause the engine to fluctuate when cold and made it feel like it was pulsing through the gearbox, as I don't normally let it run when it's started.

Offline Human Joist

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 11:06:43 pm »
It appears I have sorted this with a service. Decided to go back to basics first before anything else. When I checked, the spark plugs have been in since 35k it's now on 87k so 52k on one set. Removed and replaced and usual service carried out at same time and I am glad to say that it seems fine so far. Will give it a week first to see if it's cured before looking at anything else as I am a firm believer of one thing at a time so you know what the problem was.

Offline zayd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 02:47:05 pm »
Glad you sorted it. I bought a 2005 DSG Gti around 6 weeks ago and the "full VAG service history" I find to be very questionable. i.e No brake fluid change for three years, No cambelt change since the cars birth (mileage is only 38k), Don't think plugs ever been changed. I know a lot is due to the car being low mileage, but I decided to have absolutely everything done service wise.

cambelt inc water pump
Full service inc plugs and all filters
DSG service inc filter
Brake fluid change

cost me £800 inc genuine parts from VW.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 02:54:27 pm by zayd »

Offline Human Joist

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 03:52:22 pm »
At least you knownhow done then. I have had to do similar. Still got a slight judder when cold but kyung like it was so I am thinking maybe coil pack or DV

Offline Human Joist

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 08:28:41 pm »
Looks like plug change has. It sorted this. Still doing it. Don't think it's dmf or gearbox as it's the revs rather than the drive. Have been told to check the DV so will do that. Also heard that cam sensor may play up. Any suggestions