Make a donation

Author Topic: Who shall I choose to remap my GTI?  (Read 28156 times)

Offline MC71

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
Re: Who shall I choose to remap my GTI?
« Reply #90 on: October 30, 2014, 04:39:34 pm »
A newbie trying to win friends I see!  :signLOL: :signLOL:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 679
« Reply #91 on: October 30, 2014, 04:45:38 pm »
pmsl.

I normally refrain from such outbursts, but seriously, I respect R-Tech as a tuner but this guy seriously needs to calm down a bit, and stop wagging his tail and humping the table leg every time they are mentioned. 

I know of 2, maybe 3 highly skilled tuners, but they are not widely publicised because they don't hang out with the kids on facebook or come onto forums.  It's not all about punching numbers into the mapping software.   The engine is just an air pump and there's no way a K04 can pump enough air in to make a genuine 400hp.   The VV Race cars see 400ish from a hybrid K04 sure, but not a straight 04 off the shelf that's thrown onto 8P S3s and ED30s.   Take the engine out of the car and put it on a proper engine dynamometer and it will be nowhere near 400. 

Mapping is just manipulating the rail pressure to see 0.8 lambda in the meat of the boost and lambda 1 every where else.    Nowhere do I see boost pressures quoted, air mass figures, ignition timing at WOT, intake air temps etc etc to support these hp numbers thrown around. 

Normally you see 340ish hp and torque from 1.4 bar spike, held at 1.2 to the red.   Now 1.4 is pretty close to the ragged edge for a K04.   Either 400 is coming from seriously over spinning it - turning the intercooler into a nice interheater in the process, so WMI just cools it back to where it would be normally running less boost - or there's some pixie dust sprinkled on that engine.    60hp cannot come from fuel and timing adjustments.
Oh and TiV is just sales speak for flat spot removal.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 679
« Reply #92 on: October 30, 2014, 04:46:34 pm »
A newbie trying to win friends I see!  :signLOL: :signLOL:

I don't need friends like you lot.  I think I've got the measure of this forum already.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Pikey Motorsports

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #93 on: October 30, 2014, 05:42:55 pm »
Not sure if the car was rr elsewhere but it wasnt something what r-tech would do to an average customers car as far as i can remember anyway

And it did go pop at some point i belive.. Wether it was at that point of tune i dunno
TSR PERFORMANCE GTX30 520BHP
LITCHFIELD R35 GT-R 660BHP
MSL E63 AMG 720BHP
HCP BM3 M5 800BHP

Offline rtechniki

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 27
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: October 30, 2014, 09:23:20 pm »
Not sure if the car was rr elsewhere but it wasnt something what r-tech would do to an average customers car as far as i can remember anyway

And it did go pop at some point i belive.. Wether it was at that point of tune i dunno

it did I went and ran on jkms dyno ... and got same numbers as r-tech.   
 The car was running a rich wmi setup... and as we all know the tfsi engines are high compression and knock limited under boost which non det aided will only see 10-13deg advance with 99ron, so the out right flow of the k04-064 is not limited at stage2+ infact the out right power is knock limited which decent tuners will agree with.    Now run race fuel 104+ or a rich wmi setup and the knock window moves and the combustion stroke becomes more effective, basically free power from timing advance.   

The k04-064 on its out right compressor flow is maxed out around 360-365hp by 6500rpm, so to make 400hp mark you need to be aiming for peak hp closer to 5000rpm where the aggressive compressor of the k04 is in its sweet spot, but combustion pressure and emp is very high so the wmi is used to keep a decent timing window.

Correct you cannot make 60hp from fuel or timing if at the point the turbo is maxed out at 7000rpm.... its never going to happen, so you move the tuning to the left and work on the area where the turbo can give more but limiter by peak cylinder pressure ie knock on a 10.3:1 CR 20v lump..

TIV is removal of the med9 ARMD function which hinders the torque climb rate, with this function remove an unique timing setup can be used..

Nick Gower
R-Tech Performance Tuning
Hinckley 01455 617233
Bespoke ECU Software for 1.8T & 2.0TFSI

Offline rtechniki

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: October 30, 2014, 09:30:40 pm »
It was an r&d setup to say fook it lets see what a k04 tfsi can do,  it was to compile data on all aspects of the tsfi tuning and develpomet methods to find the best methods and limits which has been passed down to the base of the stage1 tuning we offer..  we found all the limitations need on both the common cdl and bwa compression ratio setups.   

The findings got added to our retail base stage2+ maps which now hold the fastest k04-065 1/4 times in the uk at 12.1 at santa pod with an s3 and a 12.4s at shakey from a mk5 gti..

The finding have been added to all our tuned tfsi engine which as far are I know are all happy and 80% of the owners are on here...
Nick Gower
Hinckley 01455 617233

Offline rtechniki

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: October 30, 2014, 09:35:25 pm »
Two ed30s with stage2+ with 30bhp difference from the same tuner, 30bhp is quite a big difference.

is custom mapping Nicky the biggest factor to the final hp is the the hardware and how well it works. The mapping and methods work with the hardware, the mapping could happy tune to 1000hp but is always limited by the hardware.     puts a 350hp map on stock car will limit to 300-307hp,    more you do to flow the setup and make it effective the more power you will gain post mapping.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 10:21:08 pm by OVERTFSI »
Nick Gower
Hinckley 01455 617233

Offline rtechniki

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: October 30, 2014, 10:53:08 pm »
pmsl.

I normally refrain from such outbursts, but seriously, I respect R-Tech as a tuner but this guy seriously needs to calm down a bit, and stop wagging his tail and humping the table leg every time they are mentioned. 

I know of 2, maybe 3 highly skilled tuners, but they are not widely publicised because they don't hang out with the kids on facebook or come onto forums.  It's not all about punching numbers into the mapping software.   The engine is just an air pump and there's no way a K04 can pump enough air in to make a genuine 400hp.   The VV Race cars see 400ish from a hybrid K04 sure, but not a straight 04 off the shelf that's thrown onto 8P S3s and ED30s.   Take the engine out of the car and put it on a proper engine dynamometer and it will be nowhere near 400. 

Mapping is just manipulating the rail pressure to see 0.8 lambda in the meat of the boost and lambda 1 every where else.    Nowhere do I see boost pressures quoted, air mass figures, ignition timing at WOT, intake air temps etc etc to support these hp numbers thrown around. 

Normally you see 340ish hp and torque from 1.4 bar spike, held at 1.2 to the red.   Now 1.4 is pretty close to the ragged edge for a K04.   Either 400 is coming from seriously over spinning it - turning the intercooler into a nice interheater in the process, so WMI just cools it back to where it would be normally running less boost - or there's some pixie dust sprinkled on that engine.    60hp cannot come from fuel and timing adjustments.
Oh and TiV is just sales speak for flat spot removal.

I struggle with making a true linear 400hp from a hybrid, by linear I mean 400hp close to peak rpm,  they all struggle due to one huge factor common with the k04-064... the exhaust manifold which give high emps which contributes to knock and low post head effectiveness.   not many hybrids run a linear 400hp without the wmi in there,    Take the l04xx which I tuned on a 9.8:1 CR CDL s3, knock limited sub 400hp by 6500rpm, yes can pull out timing and run more boost which at 1.7bar is more heat and it dont work.   That ended at 412hp with wmi then went on to prove the point on the 1/4 mile by running a 11.9s..  L0400 I hit al knock wall at  385hp non wmi.     

TIV is the name I used to promote a unique method of tuning, on the tfsi med9 it was about removing the anti buck maps ARMD maps, which are also in play in the me7 1.8T maps which over the year all tuners missed out, we was the first to remove them and tune with a refined ignition output which opened all new methods to gain performance under all conditions, the main one was lower egts.    I started to use the term TIV mapping,  to say remove the timing based torque interventions,  I then shared this info with another tuner, you might know him?  Bill at badger5?  he then started to use the term TIV, which I had trademarked to stop him confusing people.

by the way 1.4bar peak is so 2008.....  its at 1.7bar @4400rpm now because its all about tuning the k04 like a small turbo and not trying to flow linear like a big turbo, tune it for the power band which is going to get used......  and by turning the inlet cam maps in to maps for performance and not to save the planet to meet strict emission laws there is a whole new avenue of power to unlock!!!

By reading your past posts on the forum it seems you dont understand the concepts of the tfsi gdi engine?  you question why is dont run stratified injection so what is the point??     the point is and the development was to build a high compression engine which can run hot lean clean and safe on the edge of the knock window.  With pre mixed combustion setups like the 20v 1.8T the engine would knock its tits off,   but they got around the knock at high cr by running homogeneous fuel injection which gives a perfect boundary layer, to aid cooling and emissions.    The tfsi can run happy lambd 1 with homogeneous lean injection.  Yes the mpg would be much better if  it was stratified lean burn setup.

I can see your point fully dude, but make your own mind up and not what others tell you. :happy2:    Any questions about tfsi or tfsi tuning please feel free to ask me I am more than willing to help everyone.   

Nick Gower
Hinckley 01455 617233

• Thank You
« Reply #98 on: October 31, 2014, 12:50:31 am »

it did I went and ran on jkms dyno ... and got same numbers as r-tech.   
 The car was running a rich wmi setup... and as we all know the tfsi engines are high compression and knock limited under boost which non det aided will only see 10-13deg advance with 99ron, so the out right flow of the k04-064 is not limited at stage2+ infact the out right power is knock limited which decent tuners will agree with.    Now run race fuel 104+ or a rich wmi setup and the knock window moves and the combustion stroke becomes more effective, basically free power from timing advance.   

The k04-064 on its out right compressor flow is maxed out around 360-365hp by 6500rpm, so to make 400hp mark you need to be aiming for peak hp closer to 5000rpm where the aggressive compressor of the k04 is in its sweet spot, but combustion pressure and emp is very high so the wmi is used to keep a decent timing window.

Correct you cannot make 60hp from fuel or timing if at the point the turbo is maxed out at 7000rpm.... its never going to happen, so you move the tuning to the left and work on the area where the turbo can give more but limiter by peak cylinder pressure ie knock on a 10.3:1 CR 20v lump..

TIV is removal of the med9 ARMD function which hinders the torque climb rate, with this function remove an unique timing setup can be used..

cool i wasnt doubting the figures
MSL E63 AMG 720BHP
HCP BM3 M5 800BHP

Offline rtechniki

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: October 31, 2014, 09:38:00 am »
not you dude sorry.  Pudding above who clearly got confused on how a tfsi and ko4 works when they are tuned hard.  I think he will under stand now.   
Apr do race fuel setup which also sees 400hp... :jumpmove:
Nick Gower
Hinckley 01455 617233

• Thank You
« Reply #100 on: October 31, 2014, 01:07:43 pm »
Lets see if we can find a donor car for pudding to come down to your place and show you his mapping skills lol
MSL E63 AMG 720BHP
HCP BM3 M5 800BHP

Offline fab5freddy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 238
  • -Receive: 239
« Reply #101 on: October 31, 2014, 01:11:21 pm »
^^^ Good idea. Money where your mouth is Pudding  :wink:

Offline rtechniki

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #102 on: October 31, 2014, 04:44:33 pm »
Pudding is the same guy who trolled me on the r32 oc when a few "happy" customers left me feedback...lol   Thinks he knows whats whats and is halfway there but missing a few vital factors about tuning oem ecus.

I am sure there would be many unhappy customers here, on mk4 forum, on gti forum, on r32oc on facebook it we was bad, if your tuner mates were good then it would be there names would it not??.... 
 We don't pay to advertise we just work bloody hard to keep everyone happy, and if that fan base upsets you and your tuner mates Mr Pudding then I am sorry dude.   

Do u want me to drop my level of workmanship and support so I can squeeze in 6-8 remaps per day so I can buy glossy adverts at £20k per year to keep the customers coming?   It would be much better and easier for me and i may become a wealthy tuner?   no I will stay skint as I am making sure everyone is happy and going to bed at night with a grin knowing am getting good reviews..

:driver:
Nick Gower
Hinckley 01455 617233

Offline SiofChester

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #103 on: October 31, 2014, 04:49:42 pm »
I had my 8L S3 mapped by R-Tech a few years back. The job was superb, after a stint in a Boxster S, I'm looking at something more economical and to a Mk5 GTi. I do know that the first place I'll be taking it is R-Tech for a remap. That is a true story right there folks

dansmith180

« Reply #104 on: October 31, 2014, 09:44:20 pm »
I've heard lots of great things about R-Tech and was planning on going there for my stage 2+ next year but now I've read Puddings comments my eyes have been opened.  :jumping:

As soon as you become successful people always want to try and talk sh*t, maybe there's lots of good reviews because Niki knows what he's doing? I've never heard anybody raving about Puddings customer service  :laugh: