Make a donation

Author Topic: Slow iPad.....  (Read 971 times)

Offline MattPoss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
Slow iPad.....
« on: October 29, 2013, 05:45:57 pm »
Evening all,

I currently have a one of the original iPads and its slowly getting worse and worse, slower and slower

I've updated it to Software Version 5.1.1 which I think may be the problem, have it upgraded the software further than the hardware can handle?!

If I'm trying to load a webpage with a lot of data or pictures on it will very often crash and return to the home screen, it can't handle loading a memory hungry web page. I'm not on Facebook but a good example of when it always happens is when my girlfriend is trying to look at photos on Facebook

Is there anything I can do to go back to an earlier Software Version if that is the problem or is there anything I can do to speed it up?!

I don't want to sell it as its a 64gb Wifi and 3G and I wouldn't want to go any less. If this one was working properly it would be more than fine

Matt
Mk5 Golf GTI - DSG, BBS VZ's, S3 Front Brakes, Electric Seats, R32 Rear Lights, Xenon's, Colour Coded........

Offline markc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
Re: Slow iPad.....
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 10:13:05 pm »
You cannot return to a previous iOS, Apple stopped downgrades several years ago.
Had: Edition 30, 3 Door Manual, Pearl Black, Cruise Control, IPod Prep, Arm Rest, Auto Lights and Wipers

Offline Carpy25

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 40
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 10:28:40 pm »
I would start by backing it up on itunes then restore it to factory settings on the pad before resyncing  on iTunes with just what I really needed that would give the Pad a good clean up and free up some space by clearing history etc

Rob

Offline Greeners

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 10:32:59 pm »
Back it up, then get a Genius appointment and see what Apple can do for you.

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 08:53:01 am »
I'm sure I read there's a program called Tiny Umbrela which allows you to back over when restoring?

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 09:02:42 am »
Yeah I remember that prog. Never used it though, think it fools iTunes into connecting to their servers to allow rollback.  Probably updating HOSTS file to do just that.... Worth a whirl after you've backed up completely.

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 06:09:33 pm »
My original IPad was getting slow earlier on in the year so I stuck it on ebay and bought an iPad mini   :happy2:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline MattPoss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 12:20:25 pm »
Thanks for all the advise so far

I did a backup and restore and just put the stuff I needed on, had a good clear out. Going upto Glasgow now so I'll take it to the Apple Store and see if they can do anything with it, unfortunately no Apple Store in Carlisle :sad1:
Mk5 Golf GTI - DSG, BBS VZ's, S3 Front Brakes, Electric Seats, R32 Rear Lights, Xenon's, Colour Coded........