Make a donation

Author Topic: Extensions (building not hair) & Foundations  (Read 724 times)

Offline berg

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
Extensions (building not hair) & Foundations
« on: October 30, 2013, 03:03:57 pm »
Looked at a house last night, already got an extension on it downstairs that was put on before the current owner lived in the house, so she has know idea whether the foundatons will support a 2nd storey extension but can confirm that a lot of neighbouring properties do have a second floor extension.

The extension has been there for over 6 years but not sure for how long.

Is it the case that building regs wont apply if it has been there for over 10 years - ie it is going to be pot luck as to whether the foundations are strong enough to take a second floor?

any info appreciated, ta
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 03:21:23 pm by berg »
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline GTImike

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 8
  • Back in a Golf - Mk7 R
    • Email
Re: Extensions (building not hair) & Foundations
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 03:30:34 pm »
Hello Berg,

I run a small chartered architectural practice in the north west so hopefully I can give you an accurate answer!  :happy2:

The council building inspectors will most likely insist a trial hole is dug to ascertain the exact depth of the founds on the extension and to assess the quality of the ground, i.e. if the footings are within suitable clay. In more recent years most authorities have insisted that foundations for single storey extensions are dug to the same depth as two storey extensions (typically 900mm below ground level minimum) or to match the depth of the existing house footings to cover their backsides incase of subsidence.

If the extension is reasonably recent i.e. built within the last ten years, it may be worth a call to the relevant local authority to see if they still have the original plans on record, If so they will let you look at them in the office.

You can double check any additions on Google Earth and utilising the historic timeline feature.

Hope this helps but if you do need more info drop us a p.m. and I'll give you my email

Mike

2008/58 Tornado Red Edition 30 (No. 1853) 5dr DSG - Gone but never forgotten
2017/66 Tornado Red Golf R 5D - Lasted 6 months before being sold on
Still have a TFSI in the family - 2009/59 Audi S3 8P facelift Stage 2 tuned
Oh and a Mk1 Golf GTI cabriolet

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 03:53:10 pm »
Hello Berg,

I run a small chartered architectural practice in the north west so hopefully I can give you an accurate answer!  :happy2:

The council building inspectors will most likely insist a trial hole is dug to ascertain the exact depth of the founds on the extension and to assess the quality of the ground, i.e. if the footings are within suitable clay. In more recent years most authorities have insisted that foundations for single storey extensions are dug to the same depth as two storey extensions (typically 900mm below ground level minimum) or to match the depth of the existing house footings to cover their backsides incase of subsidence.

If the extension is reasonably recent i.e. built within the last ten years, it may be worth a call to the relevant local authority to see if they still have the original plans on record, If so they will let you look at them in the office.

You can double check any additions on Google Earth and utilising the historic timeline feature.

Hope this helps but if you do need more info drop us a p.m. and I'll give you my email

Mike

cheers mike, i may well drop you a PM in the coming weeks  :drinking:
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 05:35:49 pm »
If you need a builder give me a shout  :happy2: