Make a donation

Author Topic: Mk 7 R  (Read 31408 times)

Offline GTI5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
Re: Mk 7 R
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2013, 06:27:07 pm »
The mk6 tsi engines have an issue with the timing chain tensioner. The part has been revised a few times. If it fails vw are replacing the entire engine.

The MKVII has now gone back to a timing belt.  :happy2:

Says it all really :signLOL:
MK6 GTI Revo
MK5 GTI DSG - Gone

Offline Snoopy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2013, 08:02:13 pm »
The mk6 tsi engines have an issue with the timing chain tensioner. The part has been revised a few times. If it fails vw are replacing the entire engine.

The MKVII has now gone back to a timing belt.  :happy2:

Are you sure? It looks like a chain to me on the S3 engine. It looks like a chain on the mk7 GTI engine and the GTI engine even uses the same chain tensioner as the mk6 GTI which is the problem part.
Ex mk5 GTI owner, moved to a mk6 in 2010.

Offline GTI5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2013, 09:43:30 pm »

Are you sure? It looks like a chain to me on the S3 engine. It looks like a chain on the mk7 GTI engine and the GTI engine even uses the same chain tensioner as the mk6 GTI which is the problem part.

This press release shows a chain for the GTI:

http://www.vwvortex.com/news/volkswagen-news/volkswagen-golf-7-gti-press-materials/

« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 09:45:58 pm by GTI5 »
MK6 GTI Revo
MK5 GTI DSG - Gone

Offline Hurdy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2013, 09:55:48 pm »

This press release shows a chain for the GTI:

http://www.vwvortex.com/news/volkswagen-news/volkswagen-golf-7-gti-press-materials/

You're right. I was mis-informed by the looks of the pic below of the new S3 engine.

Golf R gone.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2013, 10:02:46 pm »
I think I'll be sticking with the MKVI Golf R looking at that then!

More potential with the MKVI engine over the "improved" MKVII!

I cannot imagine how badly that tensioner will restrict power having seen some of the catastrophic failures both on the Web and physically seeing the remnants of a failure.

Also, the integrated manifold looks like a complete no go area for upgrades unless an aftermarket tuner spends £XXXXXX's on developing a full head replacement with upgraded manifold included.

The MKVI R engine is well proven to be capable of big power, so will probably become even more desirable as time passes. :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2013, 10:28:05 pm »
Some people just want a car that is quick standard John. For them, the Mk7 R doesn't need a map or hybrid turbo conversions and WMI. ;)

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2013, 10:52:11 pm »
Some people just want a car that is quick standard John. For them, the Mk7 R doesn't need a map or hybrid turbo conversions and WMI. ;)

This can't be true!  :laugh:
Golf R gone.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2013, 11:30:14 pm »

We know how it works.  You buy a car and find it numb and boring when stock.  YOu then add way to much power, and £1000's of other chassis mods to make it crazy fast and you then have exciting, but its nothing like the original car.  Ive been as guilty of this as everyone.

This is exactly why im happy with my car as stock.  Finally found a car which doesnt need oodles of power to make it fun  :jumpmove:.

Detonating under heavy cornering was their biggest problem, but you can fix that with a accusump.

The TSI also suffered from oil starvation during very hard cornering which melted turbos did it not?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 11:34:25 pm by Janner_Sy »

Offline GTI5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2013, 09:46:24 am »

I cannot imagine how badly that tensioner will restrict power having seen some of the catastrophic failures both on the Web and physically seeing the remnants of a failure.

Also, the integrated manifold looks like a complete no go area for upgrades unless an aftermarket tuner spends £XXXXXX's on developing a full head replacement with upgraded manifold included.

The MKVI R engine is well proven to be capable of big power, so will probably become even more desirable as time passes. :happy2:

'TFSI' is a robust platform particularity CDL, the only minor issue is follower wear which is easy enough to manage. Compare that with a timing failure...

The belt has a change interval whereas a chain doesn't, but running higher output over a long period of time may increase wear on the chain?
MK6 GTI Revo
MK5 GTI DSG - Gone

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2013, 12:04:46 pm »

'TFSI' is a robust platform particularity CDL, the only minor issue is follower wear which is easy enough to manage. Compare that with a timing failure...

The belt has a change interval whereas a chain doesn't, but running higher output over a long period of time may increase wear on the chain?

I doubt having more power will affect the chain much, it doesnt take any load off the engine, it just turns with the engine.

If Honda and other manufacturers can make a chain reliable for 100+k miles, why can't VW?

Or maybe they will have a more robust setup in the 2014 engines  :popcornsoda:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline TheDGM

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2013, 02:28:09 pm »
Really loving the new .:R

Offline wigit

• Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 42
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2013, 04:28:24 pm »
nice little write up on the new engine, maybe complete bs but deserved an airing after being posted on a rocco forum where it would be lost for ever

http://fourtitude.com/features/Miscellaneous_Features_16/tech-analysis-next-generation-2-0-tfsi-for-new-audi-s3/

funnily enough the reason i ordered the R was i wanted something faster out the box in the first place as don't want to do too much to it

Offline Chris92

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 35
  • If you're smart in this world they call you crazy
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,109742.0.html
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2013, 06:27:23 pm »
I'm sure I read a while ago that it'll have indirect injection as well as direct injection oh and they have a plastic sump  :sick:

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2013, 07:29:37 pm »
I'm sure I read a while ago that it'll have indirect injection as well as direct injection oh and they have a plastic sump  :sick:

Yep, two sets of injectors. Definitely on the GTI, so 99.99% sure that will be the case for the S3/R.
Golf R gone.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2013, 08:17:00 pm »
nice little write up on the new engine, maybe complete bs but deserved an airing after being posted on a rocco forum where it would be lost for ever

http://fourtitude.com/features/Miscellaneous_Features_16/tech-analysis-next-generation-2-0-tfsi-for-new-audi-s3/

funnily enough the reason i ordered the R was i wanted something faster out the box in the first place as don't want to do too much to it

300Hp at 5500rpm with the tubo only running 1.2bar shouts massive potential!!