Make a donation

Author Topic: Pics of R20.....  (Read 45396 times)

Offline NB07

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 26
Re: Pics of R20.....
« Reply #165 on: September 15, 2009, 02:19:30 pm »
and big wheels & brakes!

When it came to the chassis, development engineers were able to adopt the first-class system in the current production Golf. This means: In front the familiar McPherson strut suspension with helical springs and telescoping shock absorbers; and at the rear a multi-link suspension ensures that the standard ESP seldom needs to intervene. Nonetheless, the basic layout was transformed into a sport chassis with ride-height lowered 25 millimetres, and the springs, dampers and stabilisers were completely retuned to match.

The brake system was also modified for the higher level of driving performance on the Volkswagen Golf R. In place of a 16-inch system, a 17-inch brake system is used with internally ventilated discs all around and R-specific brake calipers painted a high-gloss black with R logo. In front the discs are 345 millimetres in diameter, and 310 millimetres at the rear. The electronic stabilisation program (ESP) was also modified. It can be switched to a new Sport mode via the ESP button. During very fast and curve-filled drives - as on a motorsport race course - the ESP system delays intervention, enabling even more responsive handling properties. The electro-mechanical power-assist steering of the Golf R was also given a sportier characteristic. If the sports car is ordered with the optional DCC dynamic chassis control option, the power-assist steering even assumes a specially tuned characteristic for each of the system's driving modes (Sport, Normal, Comfort).

The chassis maintains contact with the road through its standard newly designed 18-inch alloy wheels ("Talladega" type) with 225/40 tyres. As an option, the same wheels are available in a 19-inch version with 235/35 tyres.

taken from here...http://www.netcarshow.com/volkswagen/2010-golf_r/

also its on the topgear website now and normally they are pretty good about not talking out of their arses too much...
http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/volkswagen-golf-r-2009-09-15
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 02:26:49 pm by NB07 »
Black Edition 30 DSG - Gone but not forgotten!

Offline JPC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #166 on: September 15, 2009, 03:27:33 pm »
28500? thats a lot!

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #167 on: September 15, 2009, 03:34:50 pm »
28500? thats a lot!
Totally agree Jay. For that sort of money there is alot of other machinery that comes into play in that bracket..

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #168 on: September 15, 2009, 03:42:21 pm »
Also once specced up with the mandatory DSG and recaro's and you will probably be looking at 32G +   :notworthy:

It wont harm sales one bit though they know exactly how many they will make and sell. Especially at the start while we all have beer goggles on.  :driver:

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #169 on: September 15, 2009, 03:44:02 pm »
The DCC isn't even standard....

By the time you've loaded it up with the essentials, that'll be Cayman/135i/TTS money. Guess we'll have to wait and see?

VW have been getting greedy of late, cocky 'cos they're the only ones making money???
Sideways yo!

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #170 on: September 15, 2009, 03:45:39 pm »
28500? thats a lot!
Totally agree Jay. For that sort of money there is alot of other machinery that comes into play in that bracket..

Focus RS aint looking that pricey all of a sudden for a hatchback anymore lol.

Offline Jules86

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 46
    • Forumwars
    • Email
« Reply #171 on: September 15, 2009, 03:52:22 pm »
Guessing at the cost of a specced up one i think ill give it a miss and get this instead in a year or two!

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1142630.htm

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #172 on: September 15, 2009, 03:59:20 pm »
Internal VW Press release:

15 Sep 09
1157-09

The most powerful and fastest-accelerating Golf ever produced – the Golf R – has been unveiled at the Frankfurt Motor Show. Developed by Volkswagen Individual, the special projects wing of Volkswagen, and following on from the Mk4 and Mk5 Golf R32 models, the four-wheel-drive Golf R is equipped with a 2.0-litre TSI four-cylinder engine developing 270PS.

New engine
Not only is the new engine 35kg lighter and 20PS more powerful than the 3.2-litre V6 found in the outgoing Golf R32, it’s also more efficient. Economy rises from a combined 26.4mpg to 33.2mpg while CO2 emissions fall from 257g/km to 199g/km. Despite the gains in efficiency, the Golf R is faster and sharper than ever – the new car can accelerate from rest to 62mph in just 5.7 seconds. Equipped with a six-speed DSG gearbox, this figure falls to 5.5 seconds. The top speed is limited to 155mph.

The 1,984cc, four-cylinder EA113 engine (as opposed to the EA888 fitted to the current Golf GTI) is derived from the Mk5 Golf GTI. To extract the extra power the block has been reinforced with an entirely new alloy head, uprated pistons, conrods and high-pressure injectors. An uprated turbocharger generates 1.2 bar of boost and a new intercooler helps the engine cope with the extra heat generated. The result is 270PS developed at 6,000rpm and 258 lbs ft of torque at 2,500rpm.

Safety
The powerful new Golf R has new 345mm diameter front brake discs (rear: 310 mm) and calipers. The uprated suspension has been lowered by 25mm with revised spring and damper rates, and there are new anti-roll bars. The Electronic Stabilisation Programme (ESP) has been revised with two stages designed for track use, and the electro-mechanical power steering system has been tweaked to sharpen its response. 

Four-wheel drive
Unlike the four-wheel-drive system fitted to the R32, which relied on differing wheel speeds between the front and rear axles, the Golf R uses a pre-charged hydraulic system that reacts quicker and reduces wheelspin by limiting the torque channelled through either axle. In extreme cases, up to 100 per cent of the torque can be channelled to the rear wheels if required.

Exterior style
To set the Golf R apart from a conventional Golf or GTI it’s fitted with new front and rear bumpers with LED running lights at the front and a gloss black diffuser at the rear, which houses a pair of central exhausts. The new car is fitted with Xenon headlights, a new black grille, wing mirrors and a set of sill extensions. The Golf R is fitted with 18-inch five-spoke wheels with 225/40 tyres as standard – 19-inch wheels with 235/35 tyres are optional. At the back, unique rear light units lend the Golf R an aggressive look – the high-intensity LED bulbs are hidden behind smoked lenses.

Interior style
The Golf R has a set of distinctive aluminium ‘R’ kick plates, and new seats finished in grey Alcantara and contrasting high-grip black mesh cloth. Gloss-black highlights throughout the interior are complemented by the subtle, electric-blue needles in the revised instrument column.

The new Golf R is set to arrive in the UK in December. Prices and specification will be announced nearer the time.

Offline wigit

• Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 42
    • Email
« Reply #173 on: September 15, 2009, 04:04:31 pm »
cheers nath, i know everyone gets excited about price, but i specced up a rocco gt yesterday and it was £27 without nav but with xenons and 19s, i dont think the rocco r is going to be that cheap either :jumping:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #174 on: September 15, 2009, 06:00:08 pm »

More pics, guys : - Gallery of R20 pics on VWvortex....

Thanks to Snoopy Geoff :drinking:

« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 06:06:28 pm by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #175 on: September 15, 2009, 06:40:38 pm »
been looking at those pics on vortex...really annoyed that they have not bothered to put that sliding cover on the centre drinks holder on the Roc R....or the ashtray cover! i mean...WTF!  those wee things can mean a lot to potential buyers.

Grrrrr

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
    • Email
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 07:55:09 pm by Vtec Abuser »

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #177 on: September 15, 2009, 07:58:04 pm »
It might look the dogs bollocks. but those dogs bollocks dont look nice.  :signLOL:  :sick:

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #178 on: September 15, 2009, 07:59:34 pm »
It might look the dogs bollocks. but those dogs bollocks dont look nice.  :signLOL:  :sick:
Game of conkers anyone?  :signLOL:

Offline Jules86

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 46
    • Forumwars
    • Email
« Reply #179 on: September 15, 2009, 08:02:27 pm »
A 125i? Wouldnt you need a 135i for 400bhp?