Make a donation

Author Topic: Traction  (Read 1072 times)

Offline Scottymon

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
Traction
« on: November 08, 2013, 10:12:55 pm »
I'm not exactly kicking out a lot of power, nowhere near the power some of you are... but have problems laying it down in the wet in 3rd and sometimes 4th gear!!
I have GY AS2's with around 6mm on the fronts, currently at ~300lb/ft at 2.8k ... it's a Stage 2 Bluefin map - which is probably the issue, as it's quite spikey...

Just wondering how you lot get on with even more torque over the fronts.  I wonder if the winter boots will do better now.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
Re: Traction
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 10:33:53 pm »
Winter tyres will only see a grip benefit in temperatures under around 5-7c. Above 8c the Goodyears should have the better grip.

The grip was my primary reason for making the move to 4WD. Not much point in having 300+bhp if you can only ever use 200bhp.
Golf R gone.

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 06:30:47 pm »
few things that helped a lot with traction -

walk, full set of engine mounts including dogbone, linear map, lsd, stickier tyres ie PSS.

even the pss are struggling a bit more with so much water on the road at mo, only a few weeks before i put the vred wintracs on.

Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline candy turbo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 06:40:57 pm »
Same reason i went to the S3 from my edition 30 a few years ago my ed 30 was only stage 1 (290 bhp ) but in damp conditions struggled for traction same mods in the S3 was a different story but a little bit boring at times

Offline bigeyd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 31
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 06:42:12 pm »
Try gradually feeding it in feeling the power before wheelspin and learn from it,Berg is right and Hurdy isn't  :P FWD ftw
Ex S3 here