Make a donation

Author Topic: Bonnet Vinyl  (Read 16005 times)

Offline WhiteGTI

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 22
  • F-A-S-T
Bonnet Vinyl
« on: December 03, 2008, 11:27:05 am »
Right.....after seeing MAT ED30's car with the gloss black vinyl last Saturday, it has prompted me to finally go through with it - its an idea that I've had for a long time now after seeing numerous examples on the American forums, but just never got round to doing it. Hope you don't think I'm copying you Mat, I had stayed rather quiet about my intentions to do this until you posted that you were going to do it!

By chance I have found out that a company that I use for my Lotus also does vinyl, and they are offering a very competitive price!

So... I will do the roof as MAT has done, as I think he has got it spot on.

The bonnet, however, is slightly more complicated. Im not doing the whole bonnet, just the 'V' in the middle. Here are my options:

1)  Follow the two creases either side of the bonnet up, HOWEVER...this won't match with the lines created by the glossy black front grille (i.e. the creases start about 2cm wider than the gloss black of the grille) Look at your cars to understand this I guess!

2)  Ignore the creases in the bonnet and just vinyl it according to the line of the gloss black grille.

I hope I've made myself clear here, its really hard to explain!

You can kind of see from the below photo what I mean regarding the lines of the bonnet and the front glossy black part.

Please don't post comments saying dont do this etc etc etc. I just want constructive comments as to what option looks better. I completely understand that this won't be to the liking of most of you, but ETTO I guess!!!

Thanks in advance!  :driver:

2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
Re: Bonnet Vinyl
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 11:30:54 am »
 :rolleye: u know what i am going to say  :P

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 11:37:48 am »
I have often looked at this Chris, and for me its a no-brainer i would definitely follow the grill lines and ignore the crease in the bonnet. I think people get talked into doing following the creases because it is more difficult to follow the grill lines.  :innocent:
What about the red stripe are you brave enough to follow that through as well this also looks cool if done right.  :driver:

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 11:41:51 am »
I have often looked at this Chris, and for me its a no-brainer i would definitely follow the grill lines and ignore the crease in the bonnet. I think people get talked into doing following the creases because it is more difficult to follow the grill lines.  :innocent:
What about the red stripe are you brave enough to follow that through as well this also looks cool if done right.  :driver:

Yeah, I must admit, I'm leaning towards doing as you say above! I think maybe following the crease lines makes it look a little un-alligned. We shall see what others have to say on it!

Another option:

> Start by following the grill line, then gradually merging it into the bonnet crease lines

What do you reckon to that idea??

Red stripe sounds good, i may consider once this initial decision is sorted!

Thanks Tom!!

Chris.

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 11:43:27 am »
ok have a look at these
mine

and these helped me

hope this helps

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 11:50:38 am »
Thats great Mat, thanks a lot!!!

It's certainly given me some food for thought!!  :smiley:

I really did think your car looked sensational with the roof, and really makes it stand out in the crowd!

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 11:53:51 am »

I really did think your car looked sensational with the roof, and really makes it stand out in the crowd!
no probs but i would give the guys a ring that did mine just say Mat with the white golf said to give you a call and they should do you a good price

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 11:56:00 am »

no probs but i would give the guys a ring that did mine just say Mat with the white golf said to give you a call and they should do you a good price

Yeah definitely will do, its always worth getting a comparison of price. I remember you saying that they are based all over the country? Are they in the Surrey / Berskshire area? The convenience of using the company that I originally mentioned is that they are only 10 miles away from my home..

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 11:57:14 am »
What makes you think Mat's car stood out from the crowd.  :laugh:

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 11:58:50 am »

Yeah definitely will do, its always worth getting a comparison of price. I remember you saying that they are based all over the country? Are they in the Surrey / Berskshire area? The convenience of using the company that I originally mentioned is that they are only 10 miles away from my home..

i got mine done silly silly cheap  :wink: but if your place is so close to the other one then its not worh looking about as once u take fuel and time into it is there any point

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 12:00:10 pm »
What makes you think Mat's car stood out from the crowd.  :laugh:

:signLOL: thats what i was after

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 12:01:21 pm »

i got mine done silly silly cheap  :wink: but if your place is so close to the other one then its not worh looking about as once u take fuel and time into it is there any point

Yeah thats what I thought. The company Im using are doing the bonnet and roof for £230-250 (awaiting final conformation), which I thought was pretty good.... :confused:

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 12:06:16 pm »

Yeah thats what I thought. The company Im using are doing the bonnet and roof for £230-250 (awaiting final conformation), which I thought was pretty good.... :confused:

you dont even want to know what i could have had it all done for   :surprised:  y not get the bonnet done first  :smiley:

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 12:12:10 pm »

you dont even want to know what i could have had it all done for   :surprised:  y not get the bonnet done first  :smiley:

LOL! Ok I'll give them a ring, worth finding out a ballpark figure! No harm done!

Nah, I'll get them both done at once I think. As my car is not really externally modified, I think just having the bonnet done may look a bit of out place......  :scared:

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 12:17:44 pm »
Oh, I notice that Raccoon have a centre in Maidenhead, which is really close to me, but I'm guessing that they won't know who you are if I mention your name, as you got yours done at the Leeds centre didn't you?

I'll give them a ring and see what they quote..

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp