Make a donation

Author Topic: Gti Mk6......Anyone tried one ?  (Read 1550 times)

Offline clubsport

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
Gti Mk6......Anyone tried one ?
« on: November 13, 2013, 09:23:35 pm »
As the Gti mk6 forum seems to be quiet.

I wondered if anyone on here with mk5 experience had tried the mk 6 Gti.

I think I like the interior and the fact it has a chain and not a cambelt.

Any thoughts?

Cheers.

Offline Beddie

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 76
    • Email
Re: Gti Mk6......Anyone tried one ?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 10:44:01 pm »
After 2 mk5 gti's I have to say I love my mk6, partly due to the fact it's really a mk5 under the skin so feels familiar and just as good to drive as my Mk5s albeit with a sharper feel in general and imo a definite step up in quality, certainly in the interior  :smiley:

Tornado Red ED30 : Number 1644 - Gone

Carbon Grey Edition 35 - Here

Offline Tortaruga

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 105
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 11:17:20 pm »
A mate of mine has one. It is a nice place to be alright, it's (I suppose obviously) less dated than the mk5. However when you're 'on it' on a B road it wouldn't matter if you were in a mk5 or a mk6.
'07 Red manual

Offline mac456

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 12:20:24 am »
The one thing which puts me off about the mk6 gti is the chain.

I have heard about a few of them slipping and a new engine is needed. Not good out of warranty!

I almost bought a ROC tsi but thats what put me off tbh! I am probably going to wait for the ed35 to come down in price, tfsi engine again.

Offline BeezerDiesel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 05:14:39 am »
As the Gti mk6 forum seems to be quiet.

I wondered if anyone on here with mk5 experience had tried the mk 6 Gti.

I think I like the interior and the fact it has a chain and not a cambelt.

Any thoughts?

Cheers.

Considering the mk6 has been out since 2009 I think there's a fair chance there's a large amount of us have tried one!!

I've had two now. Both were faultless.
I also had two mk5s.
Some features I preferred on the mk5 and some on the mk6. The interior and engine deffo seemed better in the mk6 but I missed the blue dials (though they do seem dated now).
The mk7 is better than both!!!

Andy
7R

Offline Homer

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 07:05:10 am »
The one thing which puts me off about the mk6 gti is the chain.

I have heard about a few of them slipping and a new engine is needed. Not good out of warranty!

I almost bought a ROC tsi but thats what put me off tbh! I am probably going to wait for the ed35 to come down in price, tfsi engine again.

I thought chains were always better as they lasted longer?

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 07:13:04 am »
My friend bought a mk6 and the chain slipped after a couple of weeks and wrecked the engine. It's been 6 months and vw have finally fixed it. Think they had to pay £700 and vw covered the rest but it's been a long fight

Offline Tortaruga

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 105
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 08:43:16 am »
It's not the timing chain itself that causes the issue.

From what I've read it is the chain tensioner that fails and it fails at shutdown - as the oil pressure drops the tensioner falls back on a ratchet to keep the tension on the chain. If the ratchet fails the chain doesn't tension sufficiently and the next time you start the car the chain slips due to lack of tension on the chain. As the oil pressure builds the chain becomes tensioned normally, but a couple of teeth out. The ecu reads this, retimes the cams and your nightmare begins.

I wouldn't be put off buying a mk6 entirely though. I would assume if you fitted the latest revision tensioner that the chances of this happening would be much reduced.
'07 Red manual

Offline clubsport

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 08:57:41 am »
Tks for your thoughts.

Interesting on the chain tensioner issue, I hadn't realised that was such a potential issue.

This doesn't seem to get the same level of internet scare mongering as early Porsche water cooled engines for example. Did VW revise the tensioner at any point in the models life?

Beezer diesel, tks I appreciate people will have tried the mark 6, hence my question, there doesn't seem much coverage on the mk6 forum or on here if you run a search.

Maybe mk6 owners have difficulty expressing their thoughts in words or are just arrogant...sounds ideal!  :smiley:

Offline GTI-Ross

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
  • Learning All The Time :)
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 09:15:29 am »
They have updated the tensioner twice since 2009 and they have used the same design on the MK7, so they must be happy with their latest revision
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | VWR SubFrame Mount | VibraTechnics Upper Engine Mount | VibraTechnic Transmission Mount | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline john87

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 53
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 09:48:07 am »
I have a mk6 R, which is the best of both worlds.. a mk5 engine with a mk6 interior  :happy2:
VCDS Hex-USB +CAN (Central Scotland)

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 12:28:57 pm »
If you think of the mk6 GTI as a MK5 with a nicer interior, proper colour coding outside, no stupid cam follower, a fuel pump that can fuel a K04 upgrade and no cambelt replacements every 4 years and to top it off - better fuel economy  :happy2:

Putting the chain issues aside on the earlier models, it sounds like the perfect car for people of this forum. Its resolved all the things people disliked about the mk5  :laugh:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline GTI-Ross

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
  • Learning All The Time :)
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 02:08:54 pm »
If you think of the mk6 GTI as a MK5 with a nicer interior, proper colour coding outside, no stupid cam follower, a fuel pump that can fuel a K04 upgrade and no cambelt replacements every 4 years and to top it off - better fuel economy  :happy2:

Putting the chain issues aside on the earlier models, it sounds like the perfect car for people of this forum. Its resolved all the things people disliked about the mk5  :laugh:

Couldn't have put it better !!! - Although I have a 59 plate MK6 and counting the days till my engine goes boom... :scared: :scared: :scared:

MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | VWR SubFrame Mount | VibraTechnics Upper Engine Mount | VibraTechnic Transmission Mount | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2013, 02:17:55 pm »
Does it still rot?  Arches, sills, boot, corroson: wheels etc.
Have the chain issues been fully resolved?  Someone said the Mk7 is using a belt :surprised:

Offline wigit

• Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 42
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2013, 03:17:40 pm »
given forum culture you always here about the ones that have failed and no doubt there are a few thousand out there with no issues, always seem to here about the GTI failures but not much on the Rocco front

as a precaution the latest revision can be installed and that i what i would have a decent independent do to future proof for now and future owners

my wife says she feels the biggest difference is the interior on the mk6 and i would have to agree

both great cars in my opinion