Make a donation

Author Topic: Rear breaks  (Read 983 times)

Offline Johnny_tro

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 12
Rear breaks
« on: November 23, 2013, 11:17:50 pm »
Just wanting to ask, when changing he rear pads do you have to use a winding tool? Or is there another way (manually)
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
Re: Rear breaks
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 11:30:33 pm »
Wind back Tool is the job - cheap one will do for occasional use?

However, if your stuck, long nose pliers have been used but not recommended!

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 09:21:34 pm »
Thank you. Garage wants 120 to change rear discs and pads.

I can change the front easy, but never done the back. Is it as simple as removing th caliber like front, winding back th piston and refitting?

Do not need to mes with handbrake or anything?
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 09:25:30 pm »
depending on what size the rear discs are you don't have to take the carrier of to replace the rear discs

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 09:27:01 pm »
Just std 04 gt tdi

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 09:32:41 pm »
should be able to change them with out taking the carriers of

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 09:49:43 pm »
Wicked. Just looked on the tube to gent idea.

Is the piston really hard to wind? Do able with pressure and pliers ?

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 09:56:28 pm »
Buy cheap tool it's worth it!

As for removing the carriers best do a bit research cause it's a tinker to undo the 12 point bolts

http://vwts.ru/brake/g5/g5_46-02.pdf

Offline Tinytim

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 10:35:09 pm »
Get one of the laser tools. I paid about £18 for mine online however Halfrauds sell them for about £35.

Definitely worth doing the job yourself, it's fairly easy.

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, 07:55:57 pm »
Looks fairly basic and really appreciate all the help, however, I have just nee to confirm one final things.....

Went into the shop to get a winding tool, £18, simple.

The bloke in the shop said, hold on, I need to fiull kit which is £40. The reason for this is you need the winding tool that does both clockwise and anti closwise, as each side is different - Is this correct? Or does the standard clockwise one work on both side???

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2013, 05:26:00 pm »
You just need the one tool and both are righthand thread for winding in.

The one your looking at looks fine for occasional use.

Offline dalevr6

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2013, 05:51:43 pm »
The pistons can be incredibly stiff to wind in, you might need a friend to help! I did.

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2013, 10:04:58 pm »
Cool, thank you. Just wanted to make sure the basic tool would do the job.

C**k trying to sell me something I did not need