Make a donation

Author Topic: Nearly new member with Indie dealer question  (Read 844 times)

Offline s4seeker

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
Nearly new member with Indie dealer question
« on: December 10, 2013, 08:58:29 pm »
Hi everyone, I joined a while ago and have now got my hands on a nice 05 plate gti. I bought it from an independent dealer in Edinburgh and I am keen to get your advice regarding some faults that it turned out to have.
I like to keep my cars good and after a day or so of having the car I noticed that the esp off light (on the button by gear stick)  was lit all the time.
When I started the car within a few yards it would come on and stay on although no lights on the dash.
I investigated why this would be and discovered that the traction control, abs and tyre pressure dash lights did not come on and go out (as they should) when starting the car. Having had the car scanned it turned out that one abs sensor was duff. I also discovered by taking the clocks out that the 3 lights in question had been covered with black insulating tape! So when I removed this tape I discovered that the lights come on as they should but abs stays on, the other two came on within a few yards (as per the esp button). I have had the abs sensor replaced which has rectified the lights but my issue is that the car was supplied with 2 safety features not functioning and this was deliberately concealed by someone.
Having emailed the dealer a couple of times all I have gotten in reply is a 3 second voicemail saying to call him. I have replied by email requesting that he communicate by email (ie in writing) but now no responses to my emails.
Should I take further and chase for the fact that this could have resulted in real danger for my young family. Any thoughts or opinions?
Many thanks

Offline Wooosh

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 87
  • Factory ponies.
    • Email
Re: Nearly new member with Indie dealer question
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 01:36:12 am »
I'd personally take it further you've worked hard to pay for what you thought was a clean example to later discover it has problems.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 03:56:03 am by Wooosh »
Stage 2 MK5 GTI Revo GONE
Stage 1+ MK5 GTI R-Tech GONE
Stage 2 MK5 GTI Edition 30 GoAPR

Offline Human Joist

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 08:40:41 am »
Take it further and go back to him. I find it almost impossible to to think a dealer did not know about it. Either way he should repair it if supplied with a warranty. And even if it did not hassle him anyway

Offline s4seeker

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 09:33:25 pm »
I've rectified the issue and warranty has coughed up for new abs sensor/hub but my beef is the fact it was supplied in an unsafe state. As you guys have said it is likely he knew about it too! My 4 year old and 1 year old travel in that car and he knew that when I bought it! Compensation?

Offline Wooosh

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 87
  • Factory ponies.
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 09:08:46 pm »
I've rectified the issue and warranty has coughed up for new abs sensor/hub but my beef is the fact it was supplied in an unsafe state. As you guys have said it is likely he knew about it too! My 4 year old and 1 year old travel in that car and he knew that when I bought it! Compensation?
To claim compensation you would need proof to prove he was 100% aware of the faults etc not worth the aggro but that's just my opinion.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 03:53:17 am by Wooosh »
Stage 2 MK5 GTI Revo GONE
Stage 1+ MK5 GTI R-Tech GONE
Stage 2 MK5 GTI Edition 30 GoAPR