Make a donation

Author Topic: Advice re a big 3D Smart TV??  (Read 3917 times)

Offline MC71

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
Advice re a big 3D Smart TV??
« on: December 12, 2013, 06:57:54 pm »
Any recommendations what to look for or what to avoid?  :confused:

Im getting a 3D Smart TV, something around 46"-50" in size and a budget of £1k max (ideally cheaper). I'm getting VERY confused with all the different makes, models, sizes blah blah blah. They all look good when I'm in Currys or any other store TBH.

Sumsung UE50....... or Panasonic Viera TXL47....... seem to be the ones a few sites recommend??

We will discuss sound bars later!

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline daddykool

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: Advice re a big 3D Smart TV??
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 07:20:39 pm »
Hi!
                  After months of research ,I bought the Samsung Ps51e8000.
                It was Samsungs flagship model from last year and it's amazing smart tv .
               It was about £875 from John Lewis ,they give five year warrantys so good place to purchase from .
              It's a plasma 51"  ,just awesome   was about £1700 last year .
               Lots of AV forum members have bought this!

Offline brookesb32

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 75
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 07:47:35 pm »
I have a samsung es6710 - the white one, in 50 inch and I love it. Had it nearly a year without fault. Also got from John Lewis for the warranty, and price was same as elsewhere. Was £1k at the time. Not a fan of 3D though - glasses over glasses is a pain
VCDS cable HEX-USB+CAN. New but can do the basics including coding

Offline Luke383

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 09:12:32 pm »
Ive got a 50 inch Panasonic veira tv that i bought 'myself' on Father's Day over 2 years ago & i've had no issue's with it at all! Great colours & sound. & as for sound bar's, I wouldn't bother! I bought the Bose companion 3 a few years ago & it's a powerful little system for the size of it, also expensive too. But I know you can pick one up a lot cheaper these day's & i would reccommend it as it's great for movies, gaming & music.

Offline Biano44

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 14
  • The CC GT 200
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 09:25:52 am »
Hey,

All depends on the room. If you have a bright room, choose an LED but if you have a room that is not that bright (or the curtains are shut most of the time like mine, as its nearly always dark when I'm not at work) get a Plasma. The Plasma will have a better response time, better contrast and much more accurate colours than the LED. +3D will be better an an active 3D Plasma.
Panasonic are currently the kings of Plasma and are one of the best at LED's. If Smart features is what you believe you need Samsung currently have the monopoly as they have exclusive agreements for all of the catch up services where as Panasonic and others can only use BBC iPlayer. (you probably won't use any other smart feature)

I personally rent a 50" Panasonic VT65 Plasma as the picture is the most important thing to me (I watch movies), I rent because I change every 18 months and believe it or not renting is a lot cheaper and convenient than buying.

Also keep in mind that all the TV manufacturers will be changing there entire TV ranges early next year (Feb/March) so if its a deal you're after wait until the New Year sales.
I see several people have purchased from John Lewis for there 5 year G'tee but be warned, that is a diminishing G'tee where as a Panasonic from a Panasonic Store is a full 5 years manufacture backed G'tee and I believe Samsung have the same offer on there top models in Currys at the moment.

Hope that helps.
Ta

Offline SkyJawa

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 10:04:14 am »
Get a Panasonic Plasma while you still can!!!  They are awesome TV's with lovely pictures.

I have an TXP50ST50 that's about 18 months old and a TXL 32E6B

The 32 LED is one of the better LED's I've viewed, but its still not a patch on the plasma IMHO.

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 10:06:36 am »
Reckon the later Top End Panny Plasma's are really Pioneer Kuro's :party:

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 10:52:05 am »
Get a Panasonic Plasma while you still can!!! 

^^^^^
This!!!

Had a Panasonic Plasma for a few years now and it's been awesome. Do it while you still can.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=dv45ocsmvv33tvh978u13qqnra&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 11:06:17 am »
Reckon the later Top End Panny Plasma's are really Pioneer Kuro's :party:

I read that somewhere too... all the GT-VT panels are ~<>=Kuro

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 11:08:19 am »
Cheers peeps, much to look through there.  :happy2:

We already have a 42" Full HD Plasma Panasonic Viera TV for our main viewing but after a 3-4 years it's looking dated (compared to the modern ones) and also have a 1 year old 32" Samsung Full HD Smart LED TV in another room. Just wanted something a wee bit bigger with less plastic surround and more screen on view.

I thought LED was the dingles?  :confused:

I was leaning towards a slightly bigger LED TV as our Samsung LED TV has an incredible picture when watching FULL HD content, seems better than our Plasma TV, both have Blu ray players and their own separate Sky HD boxes.

The room is well lite with natural light and average size, 25"x12" IIRC. Not overly fussed with 3D but as most TV's come with it anyway, why not.

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=dv45ocsmvv33tvh978u13qqnra&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 11:18:44 am »
If you want the best picture then plasma.... if you want it to be really bright and contrasty then LED. If you do lots of gaming then  LED too as you can get screen burn with the plasmas

Offline SkyJawa

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 12:03:40 pm »
You'll be unlucky to get screen burn with the latest plasma's.

I can spend a whole afternoon gaming and get no issues whatsoever.

Bare in mind as well that the last year or so plasmas are much thiner with thinner bezels than 3-4 years ago.

LED isn't at all the nuts, its not bad, but the decent LED technology is still lots of money (oled).

Offline BeezerDiesel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 12:11:59 pm »

I personally rent a 50" Panasonic VT65 Plasma as the picture is the most important thing to me (I watch movies), I rent because I change every 18 months and believe it or not renting is a lot cheaper and convenient than buying.

That's interesting, I didn't realise people rented TV's etc anymore - when I was growing up in the '70's and '80's everyone rented their TV's but when Sky came along in the late '80's(?) that all seemed to change and people bought their TV's. Pray tell us more about that - costs etc…

I did a work placement whilst at college studying electronics in the mid '80's fixing TV's etc which was an experience to say the least! In those days the SONY TV's were head and shoulders above almost anything and Panasonic VCR's were the best.

Currently I have a Panny plasma which is a few years old and it's pretty darned good but has more screen reflection than the newer plasmas. Biano44 has a point, keeping TV's long term isn't really something you can do these days if you want to stay up with technology as the ball gets moved on too quickly and things go out of date so fast.
Compare the electronics on a mk5 GTI to a mk7 or stick a Nokia 3XXX next to an iPhone 5S or whatever the latest Galaxy is… it all goes so out of date very quickly.
Andy
7R

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2013, 01:39:38 pm »
I promised myself i wouldnt upgrade until 4K was cheaper (had an old 42" 1080p LCD). However, i fitted a load of new furniture in the lounge, and it included an IKEA Framsta unit, which the TV hangs off. Decided i wanted something nice and light, so went for an LG 47LA660V TV.

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013, 04:38:04 pm »
Not quite as large as you wanted but a brilliant price, get 4!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-UE39F5000-39-inch-Widescreen-Freeview/dp/B00CS6XFEW