Make a donation

Author Topic: th3_f15t '07 GTI  (Read 67711 times)

Offline SurreyED30

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 32
Re: th3_f15t '07 GTI
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2014, 10:13:45 am »
Will you go up in a different car still?
Edition 30 build No:692 Revo stage 2 SOLD
Edition 30 build No:440 Stage 1 SOLD

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2014, 11:19:48 am »
Hopefully, yeah.

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2014, 08:36:12 pm »
Only just seen these posts...

When is the carbon splitter being fitted

Not sure as of yet, once all the other bits are sorted then I may investigate how the best way to fit it will be. Feeling screw and tiger seal will be best...

What you think off the gbf dv. I've been think about getting 1. Do you get any noise from it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Long delay in my answer, but it makes low down power much smoother but there's no noise, it's very much like the stock one, but works much better. Power delivery is smoother through out the rev range.

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2014, 03:51:52 pm »
Time for some more pictures and words about how I’ve achieved nothing with the car over the last month. So to start, I’ve got the first official picture of the (long awaited) Golf R20 front brakes installed!

I endeavour to get some much better picture once the cars all up and running again, which is still TBC at the time of writing this. Next up, finally got some nice new alloys cheap.

Bagged these for a tidy sum of £450, few scratches but nothing a refurbishment won’t cure. Going to get them powder coated, but as for colour, I’m swinging towards a gun metal grey at this moment in time, but like everything that’ll be subject to (a lot of) change. On the subject of powder coating things;

They came up pretty well considering how corroded the calipers were in the first place. The inside finish is a little off in my opinion but considering it’ll never be seen, I can forgive them. The parts on display are finished to a high standard though, and it’s on there pretty well so fairly pleased. Got the hand brake part of the calipers sorted and starting rebuilding them but ran out of time this weekend;

Next step is to get the calipers rebuilt fully, stainless steel brake lines ordered, some new pad retaining clip things as I’m missing one from the original set and clean up the discs. Just to ensure that everything is lovely and all that jazz when I finally get her back on the road, I decided it best to get some decent pads;

So perhaps not a total wasted month but certainly not moving as quickly as I’d like at this time. Spending the day at Early Edition today also has spurred me onto sorting my s**t out and getting it together (literally). More to follow (soon) (hopefully)…

Offline N8KOW

• Detailer - 2014
  • Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 7
    • Kowalski Details
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2014, 01:15:07 am »
Lovely progress fella  :wink:
IG: http://instagram.com/kowalskidetails
2014 Mk7 Golf R on Order...

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2014, 07:00:53 am »
Thanks mate. :happy2:

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2014, 06:39:59 pm »
So today I've worked more on the rear calipers, but in the process I've damaged the guide bolts so they're being replaced. Also bought new bleed nipples and a piston rewind tool to finish off the piston part of the build. Also ordered the rear stainless steel lines.

Towing to AmD and a slot in their garage is also arranged.

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2014, 04:25:40 pm »
Slow and steady progress again, but pleased to report that the rear calipers are now fully back together (respectively) and discs have been cleaned up, HEL lines ordered and everything placed ready for the trip to AmD.

Also decided it was time to begin stage two tuning;

I reckon 10-15BHP extra easily with that fitted to the car, shall report back once I get her back on the road. Going to bring the day at AmD forward to this coming Monday/Tuesday, can’t be dealing with a week off and no car so bringing it forwards. I think it’s nearly two months since I last properly drove her beyond my driveway!

And also accidently got lost, went to ask for directions and wound up with these;

More on that later…

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2014, 10:39:49 pm »
Finally, Evie is back on the road with working brakes. 2 months after beginning, it’s done, front brakes are on and working a treat. Still in the wearing-in phase, but I’ve already noticed that there’s a lot less pedal pressing for stopping the car, what used to be a firm press on the pedal is now a gentle touch. Yet to do an emergency stop to really see how they handle.

So, going back in time a little, this is how my heads up display looked prior to this weekend;

Ever been Southend sea front at Christmas? Reminds me of that. Loaded up the boot with the rear R32 brakes in preparation for my tow to AmD;

Thursday rolls round, time to put her on the back of a flat bed. Feels like admitting defeat, or that hung-over walk of shame the morning after…

Early start on the Friday, get to AmD for about 10am, spend a lot of time waiting to get a phone call saying the rear brakes didn’t fit correctly. Was a little bemused, but transpired they meant my rear dust shields didn’t fit as they’re for a mk6 Golf R which has a different axle shape so they're not backwards compatible. Not the end of the world running without them but still slightly annoyed.

Many, many hours later, the guys pop up to the waiting room and tell me there’s another problem with the rear brakes. The passenger side caliper was just losing all the fluid in a rather bad manor where the brake hose meets the caliper, looks like I’d cross-threaded the bolt as I screwed it in so fluid was just flowing out, even at normal pressure. Result: new caliper needed, along with new hose mountings (solid lines that then attach to stainless steel lines). So they didn’t end up going on and I had to get my stock rears re-fitted. Devastated.

Also found the reason my brake pedal was just sinking to the floor even though there was no apparent air in the system after several bleeding cycles. I’d somehow managed to fit the front calipers upside down (effectively swapped the sides over). So because the bleed nipple was at the bottom, all the air was trapped in the top of the caliper. Felt like a massive c*** in AmD, decided there and then to give my tools away and give up doing things myself for the sake of further embarrassment! Credit to the guys there, they were really good about it and told me of some worse case situations they’ve had to fix to cheer me up.

But anyway, enough stupidity, I shall bring a small update and some better pictures in a few weeks when my new camera tripod arrives (it is a small one mind so no high up pictures!).

Offline TommyR

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 20
  • Black Edition 30
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2014, 11:59:31 am »
Shame about the brakes but otherwise good progress!

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2014, 06:59:39 pm »
Thanks mate. BBS CH alloys are due back from the refurbishment this week or next, also trying to make a decision on what anti-roll bars to run alongside my VW Racing lowering springs.

Offline tommy2478

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
  • Instagram Tom_gti5
    • Photobucket Feed
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2014, 05:49:50 pm »
Looking good mate!!  Coming along nicely. I'm only from Colchester :)
07 Mk5 Gti, Rear De-Wiper, Euro Fogs, Heko Wind deflectors, Pro Coils, GFB DV+

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2014, 07:23:35 pm »
A small update and not an awful lot of progression forwards. The alloys are back from the powder coaters, they look pretty smart but yet to get tyres fitted and them prep’d for fitting to the car. No photos as of yet, but expect some soon enough. Looking into applying some good quality wheel wax to protect these rims for life, as well as investing in some brand new locking wheel nuts and centre caps to finish off the look nicely.

I managed to find a JOM badge-less grill on eBay going for £55, but sadly when it arrived it was damaged;

A quick message to the eBay seller and they said they will replace it as soon as more came into stock, and I shouldn’t need to ship the old one back to them, so potential repair and sell it on cheap I reckon. Need to now look into the best way to secure a front number plate using magnets.

Also worth a mention is the engine bay. Bought myself a black coolant cap and washer bottle cap, a Porsche 911 oil cap and this little bit of bling for a tidy price of £67;

Decided to treat myself, and the car, to a bit of eye candy;

Also attended the Lakeside meet this Sunday just gone (25th May) and was a great turn out, lovely weather and got my hands on VCDS to clear my airbag light and lots of other error codes too. Shout out to whoever it was who gave me their laptop, give me a message so I can edit this line with your username! (I’m useless with names.) And yes, I’m proud of my wing mirror stickers;

Next month I hope to fit the grill, alloys, colour code my splitter and side skirts, gloss black my rear valance and maybe soon source a GTI leather interior. Stand by for updates.

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2014, 07:29:40 pm »
Looking good mate!!  Coming along nicely. I'm only from Colchester :)

Thanks dude, I spy a red GTI ower too! Keep you eyes on the Shows and Events board, there's quite a few people who are attending regular Essex meets at Lakeside. Perhaps one can be arranged for the more northern Essex people? :party:

Offline tommy2478

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
  • Instagram Tom_gti5
    • Photobucket Feed
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2014, 10:06:20 pm »
Yes definitely mate!  Wanted to attend but cannot do during the days :( due to work.
Only had my gti coming up to a year :) so it's slowly coming together.
07 Mk5 Gti, Rear De-Wiper, Euro Fogs, Heko Wind deflectors, Pro Coils, GFB DV+