Make a donation

Author Topic: Car buying help..  (Read 1486 times)

Offline Jayy26

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
Car buying help..
« on: December 28, 2013, 05:17:05 pm »
Hi been looking for a 3door gti for around 4 months now without much look at all without the mileage being stupid high...I wanted a car roughly around 60-70k
With a budget about 7 at most :/

http://m.gumtree.com/p/volkswagen/golf-gti-mk5-stage-2-tornado-red-270-bhp-audi-seat-bmw-vauxhall-ford-honda-replica-tdi-4x4/1042856328

I have seen this one but it has 110k ..the bloke does say it's got 3grands worth on top..but now it's 2nd hand parts anyway...

I just don't want me to pay over the odds and then Add 10-15k on hop and worth so much less...

And don't really want to be messing about replacing turbos and clutch after a month or so..and the all the other 100k mark parts like wishbone bushes etc

Thanks

I may even just go derv now it's doing my head in just want a car with a some good power

Offline irish_ram

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 200
  • -Receive: 26
Re: Car buying help..
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 05:52:40 pm »
In all honesty the mileage should not put you off especially if it is only just over 100k. As long as it has FSH then that should be fine. After all it comes down to how the car has been treated as opposed to how many miles it has. You may find one with only 70k on the clock but if it has been trashed and not fully looked after then would be far worse than going for a high mileage car that has been treated well.

Also seems like it has had a lot done to it and lots of money spent on it so it seems to be cared for.

Might be a minor thing but I am always skeptical of adverts where there are not lots of good photos of every aspect of the car as this is one of the main attractions when browsing for motors. It might just be someone being lazy but also maybe hiding something!!!!

Anyway good luck and I am sure the more experienced and tech guys on here will help you out.

Offline SRC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 07:08:09 pm »
Be patient.  Most of us here will sympathise - I looked at loads of cars and travelled miles to see and reject some that didn't quite match expectations.

It'll turn up - they always do!

Shadow blue DSG 5 door with leather, sunroof, 18" Monzas, MFSW. 
Full list of mods:  Seat inserts and a VW bottle opener.  Each worth 20bhp.

Offline RetroRaz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 194
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 07:21:05 pm »

Offline Santaslonecruzer

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 07:32:15 pm »
I had the same thought process (must be sub 80k miles, etc) when looking for my GT Tdi. A garage (v hub in Cheltenham) had one with just over 100k on the clock but 1 owner and FSH. "Out of interest" I looked at it........I bought it and 10 months in am sooooo glad I did!!!  Comprehensive servicing and a good owner are paramount, cars with much lower mileage than mine are in far inferior conditions.

Good luck. 
Mkv GT Tdi 140 Reflex Silver

Offline bigeyd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 31
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 08:12:56 pm »
OP buy a standard one then mod it yourself,then see how expensive it can be doing it that way.

I had a test drive in a car 30k on the clock and it was in worse nick than my (then) car which had 110k,a good owner is paramount as said.

Offline kylelnsn

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 08:32:08 pm »
Be patient.  Most of us here will sympathise - I looked at loads of cars and travelled miles to see and reject some that didn't quite match expectations.

It'll turn up - they always do!

Patience is key, I dont have a GTI but have the GT TDI and again, waited a long time for what I wanted, and turned down quite a few "Alternatives"

Youll find one!

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 09:04:08 pm »
Same old replies !

Get a car with full service history with the lowest mileage you can afford , low mileage will always be a better car in the large majority of occasions . There will be always the " I test drove a 20k car and it was rubbish" posts , generally by people with high mileage cars.

Buy a car that has not had a budget concious owner  :innocent:
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD