Make a donation

Author Topic: How do you drive yours?  (Read 3891 times)

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
How do you drive yours?
« on: September 21, 2009, 08:36:29 pm »

Not sure if this is in the right section? :signIWS:

Before the Cupra I've only had tuned 1600 16v's n/a cars. Big difference to the Cupra.
Dont think I've ever really had the chance to push the car and find out what it can do. (bar staight line autobahn driving :P)

At 23 Im hardly the most experienced driver with 3.5years on the road. Just after some chat on peoples driving styles. Any comments welcome (aggresive track driving, town/urban, stamping on the pedal or progressive etc etc etc)

Offline Blake-R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: How do you drive yours?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 09:16:41 pm »
Hey Mike
i would also like to know peoples different driving styles. i have recently put a deposit down on a lovely 57 plate Gti and this will be my first time owning a turbo based car. I will be replacing my cherished Civic Type R final edition ep3 (be sad to see her go) with the golf and it's going to be very strange having the power so low down compared to the 8000rpm readline in the civic.

Where would be the best place to change gear when you aren't hanging around.

Ooops hi by the way i'm Blake, look forward to joining in here.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 09:18:36 pm »

Welcome blake!  Thanks for reinforcing my question  :happy2:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 09:32:11 pm »
Changing gear - I think it was around 6000rpm on ed30s and slightly less on stock gtis.

Driving my ED30 is dependant on three things: mood, situation and road traffic conditions.

Clear roads and in a hurry: pedal to the mettle
Clear roads and no rush: Relaxed. Can get 30+mpg urban
Busy roads and in a hurry: Will accelerate and shift a bit quicker where I'm able (legally).
Busy roads and no rush: Again relaxed. Just end up wasting fuel.

For sure I generally drive the car harder compared to my previous fiesta. But I do sometimes just chill. The car responds well to both, but there are times where it's begging you to redline it!

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline snapey

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 10:02:27 pm »
Below 3k rpm most of the time, don't feel I need to get it spinning with the amount of torque on offer low down with the k03, able to make quick progress where ever it's needed without driving like my hairs on fire.

Not sure how it differed with the k04's but I'd expect there's still a colosal amount of torque down low. Only ever feel the need to get it spinning when it's a lovely b-road or some numpty in a 1.nothing corsa feels brave  :signLOL:

I'm sure everyones driving style is different but I'm only 20 and never feel the need to prove anything to show what my limits are.

Luke
If you have to ask why, you'll never understand.

Offline nc35

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 10:17:06 pm »
Well I do get about 400 miles to the tank.

So I must be quite a sedate driver. I am a member of IAM so that dos have some bearing.

Come from fast more poweful cars, last one being a Porsche Cayenne TT. I find the GTI feels like a quick car, ironically fast cars feel more relaxed the speedo telling you otherwise.

The DSG box is always in a gear or two higher than you would be in a manual car. It's very eager to drop a cog or two into the correct gear.

I completely agree with the previos post, the GTI matches any and every driving mood or sitiuation.  Something other hot hatches can match. They may be faster, but they are not a better all rounder. 

My car was going to be a stop gap between the insurance payout and my next nice car.

But I am falling for the do anything go anywhere of the Golf. Can see this being a keeper, well perhaps a newer one.

Bet you can't wait one thing I know for sure you will love it.
No Golf anymore. 
Enjoyed the last five years of ownership of Mk5 & 6 GTIs.
Plus an excellent forum for knowledge and new ways to deplete the bank account.
Thank You Everyone.

Offline Edition30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 8
  • No man was ever wise by chance.
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 10:34:35 pm »
Also 23 and used to love going on a well known stretch of the moors and gunning it...Not pushing the boundaries obviously as im not that experienced myself with a little over 5 years driving.

Usually just chilled out on motorways (after my run in with the 5-O) and locally built up areas...wouldn't like to push on as if you were to hit something or someone...it would ruin your life not to mention theres  :scared:
Afghanistan Trust - Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge.

www.justgiving.com/ptemartinbell

MyProtein - MP119633

Offline SO8

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2009, 11:08:44 pm »
I've had my Edition 30 for 18 months and seem to be driving it slower and more sedately each time I get in it - which is worrying !  I must be getting too old  :scared:

When I do stretch it a bit it always makes me smile though  :laugh:   

Offline faheem

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 11:40:24 pm »
im averaging 24mpg at the moment, it is just too tempting to here that growl.....lol

had a mk4 tdi on my case other day , cheeky bugger , it was good fun playing with him lol

i have only had the car 2 weeks and it is also my first turbo car, i think like the other guys say, it is very easy to live with, you can relax and cruise or if the mood takes you can get a good bit of acceleration out of it.....

i think once i start to drive it more sensibly for more than a day or two the mgp should pick up, one thing i will say is stick to vpower when you get it, i put the standard stuff in for a day and it was bloody depressing?! just feel like something aint right!

Offline Glen

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2009, 09:34:47 am »
I tend to drive my k04 quite sedately normally. Although I do like to give it the beans occasionally just to take it upto the speed limit of course.

I find it a great cruiser, so easy and relaxing to drive for a turbo car. I also find that if you drive it carefully for about a week, when the time comes to really give it a good stretch, the car feels amazing.

I was previously used to driving a mk6 fiesta and seemed to drive that much more aggressively, throughing it around corners and basically just ragging the life out of the engine. However in the GTI, because I know the power is on tap when I need it, I don't feel the need to speed so to speak. It's weird - I get a more powerfull car and drive it slower.

Maybe it's because I know the car has the power if I need it and I don't feel like I've got anything to prove or the fact that my wallet is sending signals to my right foot. LOL.

Offline Aparoon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 10:03:40 am »
Im 22, i had a 1.8t previously which i thought was FAST but my Ed30 is something else! This is my first dsg car and makes me drive either very relaxed or aggressive. I tend to take it easy around town getting my foot down on the slip road etc but when I want to give it a bit i go for a drive over Woodhead and holmfirth which is ideal and pretty nearby  :happy2:
Edition 30 DSG, Revo 2+,BSH Intake, Autotech hpfp, Blueflame TBE,  Eibach Sportlines, Speedline Turini's GONE

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 10:17:23 am »
drive it like you stole it :jumping: :driver:, nah im no where near as aggressive as i was when i first started driving, im much smoother and i look much farther up the road, i found by being to aggressive i just lit the wheels up, and lost traction especially on the track.

I was initially very aggressive on track days, but am much smoother now.one of the best things i ever got told was when powering out of a corner, imagine a bit of string attached between the bottom of the steering wheel and the accellerator. so when you are on full lock you cannot apply the pedal fully, but the more the steering is straightened on exit, the string allows the pedal to go further. I found it made a big sdifference to my driving style and it does work

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 11:18:11 am »
However in the GTI, because I know the power is on tap when I need it, I don't feel the need to speed so to speak. It's weird - I get a more powerfull car and drive it slower.

Maybe it's because I know the car has the power if I need it and I don't feel like I've got anything to prove or the fact that my wallet is sending signals to my right foot. LOL.

Yeah I was like that at first too. Used to zoom here and there at first but like you, I've matured in my driving style. At first, having the gti is a novel experience and, especially if you had a crappy car before, it's tempting to drive fast everywhere. Once you acclimatise to the car (took me about 9 months!) you become more relaxed.

My car unfortunately is in the dealers after a breakdown. Have a mk7 fiesta as a hire car (via rac). It's very nippy round town but you quickly feel it's in its element at 30-40mph whereas the gti still feels it has more to give at 100mph (via track driving).

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline NEWEY

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 9
    • Flickr
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 11:34:28 am »
i drive my car quite slow 80% of the time i would say unless the roads permit to put your foot down :jumping:. i dont feel the need to drive everywhere flat out as i know that the power is on tap when i need it :driver: :driver:

TSR powered 1.9 16v mk2 Golf GTI
TSR big turbo mk5 golf gti

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2009, 11:44:16 am »
I seem to be in a rush every single day so most of the time my foot is on the floor. There is the odd occasion when im feeling very chilled out, put some good music on, lie back in my seat so I look like a G innit and take it easy  :P :grin: :happy2:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic