Make a donation

Author Topic: Dan's Shadow Blue Mk5 Jetta  (Read 17241 times)

Offline DanMaytee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
Dan's Shadow Blue Mk5 Jetta
« on: January 17, 2014, 09:58:23 am »
Thought I'd post up a bit of a thread on here. It seems a great site and full of lots of useful infomation so though I'd start contributing a bit more instead of just lurking.  

Well here it is.  I know it's a TDI, I know BUT It does have a GTI Splitter!  :wink:

When I 1st bought it

Straight away I got the cambelt done and bought a cheapo Chinese headunit which is still working great a year and a half later

I experimented with my girl as I hated the chrome at 1st.  Really liked this at the time but now I look back on it and hate it.  Luckily it was only Plast dip  :happy2:

I then decided to buy some new wheels.  I ended up with some Rotiform BLQ style wheels.  19x8.5 with an offset of 45.  

With them being quite big I knew I was going to need it low.  But I wanted to keep it so it was still driveable and I could get my foot down when I wanted.  So I bought some FK Streets.

Started looking a lot better.  I also decided to use some tint spray on my rear lights as I wanted them similar to the R32 and unfortunately the Golf ones don't fit the Jetta so it was up to me to improvise. I think they actually came out pretty good! Keep an eye out further down as there will be some better photos  :smiley:

Also a little tip to protect your coilovers to stop them seizing.  Electrical tape! Just spray some grease onto the threads and wrap them up in tape and when you take the tape off next time to adjust they'll be perfect.  I'd also recommend a small tie wrap around the end of the tape to stop it peeling off.

As mentioned earlier I hated the Chrome so I decided to spray the slats black.  It actually came out really nice and I prefer it a lot better than them being chrome

Modding kind of stopped for a couple of months as I was really skint and strapped for cash.  I then managed to get the clutch and flywheel changed due to my DMF Failing.  xJay1337 Kindly gave me his old Valeo SMF and clutch kit from his old TDI.  Managed to get it fitted and it felt like a new car.  

I then decided to get it remapped (Awesome GTI £150 Generic remap offer) and it transformed the car.  It's quite a safe map and there isn't as much torque as I thought it would be but still for a £150 it was a bargain.

Now we've finally gotten to this week.  xJay1337 also kindly gave me his GTI Splitter seem as he upgraded to a Votex one (Lucky git).  Anyway soon as it arrived I set about to fitting it.  

Quick test fit to make sure it went on ok

Then to get it all back together.

It's got a few spots that need a heatgun getting on them but I shall hopefully be doing that today.  

Here are a few random photos anyway.  You can see the lights I sprayed alot better in the 1st one.

I've also been thinking about turning it into a coupe.  Although the back window is slightly too big and would look odd

I'd need to use the front end of a 3 door Golf and the boot of the Jetta for it to look right or to move the B pillar back somehow.  

It seems like to much work for me so that idea will only ever be an idea unfortunately  :sad:

I should also have some new wheels at the end of Feb/Beginning of March  :grin:.  I won't stay what they are but they're still 19"  :smiley:
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 10:01:11 am by DanMaytee »

Offline TheBIGJAYY

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 9
Re: Dan's Shadow Blue Mk5 Jetta
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 10:20:32 am »
looks really well on those wheels mate  :happy2:

Rainford Accounting Services
Tel. 07875505637
Email. jrainfordmaat@gmail.com

Offline DanMaytee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 10:37:06 am »
Thanks mate  :smiley:.  Kind of gone off them now though :sad: .  Looking forward to getting my new ones though.  It's quite weird you've just commented.  I'm currently reading through your build thread now haha.

Offline Matto

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 116
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37071.0.html
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 10:37:42 am »
Looks nice mate. A great choice of colour but I would say that  :signLOL:

Offline DanMaytee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 10:39:35 am »
Looks nice mate. A great choice of colour but I would say that  :signLOL:

Haha it is definitely this colour to go for  :wink:.  There was a silver Jetta I was also looking at when I bought mine.  Near enough same spec, history, mileage etc but I ended up paying £800 extra just to have the blue one  :grin:

Offline Matto

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 116
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37071.0.html
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 10:53:17 am »
Haha I was the same. Although I paid a little extra due to the low mileage. So what do you have planned next?

Offline DanMaytee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 11:04:40 am »
Haha I was the same. Although I paid a little extra due to the low mileage. So what do you have planned next?

Honestly... I'm not sure yet! I've got the new wheels lined up but after that I'm not sure.  I was thinking of getting air ride but I'd also like to get the front end and a couple of panels sprayed due to stone chips :sad:

Offline G40will

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 01:33:55 pm »
Very, Very Nice!

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 01:50:31 pm »
Really smart Jetta matey  :congrats:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline DanMaytee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 04:22:15 pm »
Thanks guys :grin:

Offline prp74

• Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 126
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 06:02:06 pm »
Looking good. Wheels really suit the car  :happy2:
mk5 Graphite Blue GTI - Leathers, Xenons, MFD2, PDC, Boot Pop - SOLD
mk7 Pure White GTI - Performance Pack, Xenons, DSG, Leathers, Pro Nav, Dynaudio, Self Park, Keyless, 18" OZ Ultraleggera

Offline DanMaytee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 06:20:32 pm »
Thanks dude :).  I thought it would be hard to pull off 19's but I managed to get it just right I think :)

Offline Sjw_Vw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2014, 10:41:55 am »
Come on, Dan. Update this, as you've changed a few things :happy2:
Instagram - sjw_vw. Updated all the time :)

Offline DanMaytee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2014, 08:29:48 pm »
Come on, Dan. Update this, as you've changed a few things :happy2:

I'll have to get it updated soon! :).  I've not really changed too much though :(

Offline DanMaytee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2014, 09:13:02 pm »
Right then guys, bit of an update as it's been a while.  It's nothing major as I haven't had the funds to do too much unfortunately.  

Firstly I decided to have a go at correcting my paint.  I used a DAS6 Pro with a couple of hex logic pads and some Menzerna FG500 and some SF4000 to finish it off.  I started with an old bonnet for the scrap yard to practice on and managed to get some really good results

Anyway I bit the bullet and got to work on my car

Unfortunately I didn't get any before/after photos but managed to get one as I finished.

There are still quite a few places that need going over again which I will get onto doing soon but overall I was very impressed to say it was my 1st go.

I also sorted out a group buy over at Uk-mkivs for some number plate surrounds.  They arrived a few weeks back now and got them fitted straight away.

Now onto the bigger news.  I managed to sell my BLQ reps after humming and harring for a while about selling them.  I was quite nervous at first because I loved the fitment of them.  Anyway I bit the bullet and they went for £600 and while I was waiting for some new wheels it was back to the standard ones for the time being.  I actually quite liked the look of it to be honest! :)

I finally got my new wheels.  Nothing special as I wanted to keep it looking clean and OEM.  They're only reps as I wanted 18s (I was destroying the 19's due to the stretch and really low profile) and the genuine ones have a really high offset and are only 7.5j, I wanted at least 8j and a offset of around 40.  I managed to get these which are 18x8 ET42 all around. I went with 215/40 tyres all around, 5mm spacers and -2.2 degrees of camber on the rear.  I'm really happy with the wheels and the fitment and really glad I stepped down from the 19s.  Would of really liked genuine ones though but I wouldn't of been happy with the fitment which is a shame because I paid the same as I would for a genuine set for the reps.   Anyway enough of that here are some photos.

The front isn't higher, the wheels are just turned very slightly

And a couple I took at Spring Fest.

GTI Springfest 2013 by p13dtw, on Flickr

GTI Springfest 2013 by p13dtw, on Flickr

A big thanks to Toluco Photo for this brilliant one.

That's all for now but I'll try and remember to keep updating this as things happen.  I have quite a few new things happening soon too! ;)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 09:15:51 pm by DanMaytee »