Make a donation

Author Topic: My Mk5 Golf 1.4s  (Read 3925 times)

Offline TeighlorD7

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
My Mk5 Golf 1.4s
« on: January 19, 2014, 04:21:29 pm »
Its only a 1.4s so I've got plenty options on what I can add next  :signLOL:

Im a newbie so cut me some slack haha .So i bought my first car at the end of november, nice and clean with just under 60,000 miles. The reason it was nice and clean was that the guy who owned the garage stored some of his cars at his friends valet service garage. So when i pulled up for my test drive he had it all cleaned up for me. Bought the car, as much as i love the car I sometimes get annoyed with the lack of equipment haha, especially not having the trip computer not even showing mpg. But still its a great first car.

So the first thing i wanted to do was swap the RCD300 for a RCD510 with DAB, so then started looking into that. Also I've been looking into my options for alloys, haven't quite decided yet but when i have some extra money I will be buying a set. Before that though Im looking to get some trained eyes look around it then do a major service. The service history for the last couple of years is non existent, partly because its been up for sale for the best part of a year. Ive also put in some new lights all round the car , looking for a white effect but it made only a little difference.

This is my new plate, before I put in the led lights.

T31 HLR = Teighlor ???

Before I had even bought the car I've been looking into swapping the radio for a RCD510, so I bought a DAB version just after christmas for £220. Found that my car had a version of the can gateway that wasn't compatible so I got a new one for £35. Plus the radio antenna adaptor http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151031341681?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649. So I put in the gateway , got it coded , fitted the head unit and here it is

I did buy a non coded gateway and was thankful that Ess_Three coded it for me, but if you do no have any access to vcds just go for a precoded gateway  :happy2:

such an improvement over the RCD300 in every way, Ive connected up a Window mounted DAB aerial however it doesn't seem to be working just yet. Im hoping its just a case of connecting it to a 12v supply, as i had thought it got power from the head unit.

Next will be the service, the hopefully after that I will be choosing alloys. How long that takes me to save up for is the question. There so much little things i would love to add also , especially the dash display i would love to upgrade but the money and time that that would take would probably be abit daft.

Any ideas?  :confused:

Offline jbenekeorr

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Re: My Mk5 Golf 1.4s
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 06:41:24 pm »
Hi there, that's not a bad first car  :laugh:

Good choice on the rcd510, I have fitted the DAB one too but the signal is a bit pants with the glass mount aerial. Though yours should be picking up some stations. (My thread here http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,71173.msg802092.html#msg802092 )

You shouldn't need to hook up the 12v feed.

What wheels are you looking for?

Offline TeighlorD7

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 07:00:30 pm »
See i didn't think i would have to connect the 12v, a couple of times when I've jumped in the car I've scanned and it picked up only say a couple of bbd stations and 2 local radio stations. Ill haul it all back out again and check the connections, then check if the earth is actually on a metal part of the chasis. I'm a mechanical engineer , electrics is not my thing haha.

On the wheels, to start with i loved the r32's

but the more and more i look i have started to like the monza alloys, then when i was getting my can gateway coded the guy had two golfs both with bbs alloys. Problem is money , pay isn't great and my flat consumes a lot of it. Was thinking on picking up a cheaper set, possibly needing refurbished. Then get them refurbish when i get some extra money.

Offline shreddedmeat

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 07:14:46 pm »
Let me be the first to ask, did you take these pics in a salt mine??  :signLOL:
'06 Tornado Red 5 door manual

Can help with or fit VCDS / Cruise control / CAN gateways / RNS in North East

Offline TeighlorD7

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 08:19:52 pm »
This little thing was chillin in in the river clyde in glasgow, we watched it from down the river then realised there was a lot of people walking onto it. My dads face lit up when i looked on the internet and seen there was a open day haha. thought i would treat him for giving me a run through.

when we went down they had opened some salt stores for us to park in , i thought the lighting was good for some pictures  :signLOL:

Offline Scottymon

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 08:22:21 pm »
Feck, that is a pretty neat location. :happy2:

Offline TeighlorD7

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 08:35:32 pm »
i kinda thought so myself haha

Offline jbenekeorr

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 09:21:11 pm »
Those r32s look good. If you're on a budget you could maybe look at replica monzas? I don't know about quality etc...also with tyres it seems to always end up expensive :(

Offline TeighlorD7

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 11:21:29 pm »
Im forever scanning through gumtree, ebay and on here . Just as a quick example i could possibly buy these

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/vw-monza-18-inch-alloy-wheels-5x112-with-225-40-18-tyres-delivery-available/1043905593

then have some money left over for a possible refurb?
Im really knew to all this , as I'm only 17 haha. would be great to hear some hints from yous lot.

Offline TeighlorD7

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 06:24:24 pm »
Finally got the window mounted aerial to work today , checked the earth and made sure that was secure then took out the connection then put it back in and it just worked fine :D !

What next ?

Offline FrameSet

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 7
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,102535.0.html
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 07:03:33 pm »
Welcome to the 1.4 s (s for slow and un-economical) club! Does the new headunit have blutooth conevtivity and/ or an aux imput? im fed up not being able to listen to my own music so and looking to do a headunit swap like yours.

Offline TeighlorD7

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 07:29:38 pm »
I second that ! Not bad too bad for my first though. For Bluetooth you need a separate kit and I've been told you need a mfsw, however aux just sounds like an attachment to the back of the unit and find somewhere to fit it . I'm gonna get something like this soon

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/151133894972?nav=SEARCH

The rcd 510 was a good swap for £240, price was slightly higher for dab version, however I did upgrade the can gateway so that my battery didn't drain and that cost £35 or so , plus a help from a member on here to program it. 

Couldn't recommend it more tho it's a great upgrade for both looks / sound !

Offline jack_maxwell

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 07:19:36 pm »
Another 1.4s to join the club!  :star:

Ive got an RCD510 in my car too and the aux that you linked works perfectly just plug and play and looks really neat when its installed

Jack

Offline TeighlorD7

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2014, 10:12:51 pm »
Good good , will probably order it sometime soon .

Offline Melvin084

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2014, 10:20:43 pm »
*Subscribes*