Make a donation

Author Topic: New coolant temp sensor while radiator changed?  (Read 848 times)

Offline homesqueeze

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 42
  • Got another Golf!
New coolant temp sensor while radiator changed?
« on: January 20, 2014, 07:35:42 pm »
 Been thinking about trying a new coolant temp sensor to cure my slow temp warm up. I have read all the threads about the temp gauge problems and I'm hoping all I need is a new sensor not a thermostat. I have to get a new radiator fitted soon and was wondering if this would be a good opportunity to get the coolant temp sensor changed as well. Will it save some labour time to get it done at the same time?
'16 MK7 Golf 1.4TSI Match Edition

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
Re: New coolant temp sensor while radiator changed?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 11:03:27 pm »
It will not be the sensor 99% it will be the little brass things... Thermostat is £42 and the brass things are £22 each just get them.

Offline v4rley

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 104
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 10:20:27 am »
I had the same issue with not reaching tempature. I changed the front small brass thermo which had failed. But made some difference but only improved getting to 70c quicker. So my next move was either the main thermo or sensor, I talked myself in the sensor being the easier job. Change my plan when I phone vw and the sensor was £38 against £33 for the main thermostat. Changed the main thermostat and all good! 

As jay said I'd just go ahead and change the main thermostat and the little brass one in front whilst at it  :happy2:

Offline homesqueeze

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • Got another Golf!
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 06:18:10 pm »
Thanks guys. I hadn't heard anything about these brass things, what are they? Ok I guess I could get the thermostat done, but that leads me on to another question! Would that be a good thing to get done at the same time as a cambelt change to save labour charges? Unfortunately I don't have any mechanical skills or time to do these things myself, so the less labour time I get hit with the better.

Offline v4rley

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 104
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 06:36:45 pm »
Here's the brass things:

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,75756.30.html

I'm fortunate to have the time and limited skill to have given it a go myself. Have heard people getting the main thermostat done at same time as cambelt, not sure what the combined saving would be. I spoke to my local VW dealers prior and they quoted £154 + thermostat (@£34)

Offline homesqueeze

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • Got another Golf!
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 08:24:44 pm »
Cheers for that  :happy2: Might replace that brass thermo first then and see if that helps at all.