Make a donation

Author Topic: Anyone had the re-occurance of front wing corrosion  (Read 2298 times)

Offline callis

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
Re: Anyone had the re-occurance of front wing corrosion
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2014, 05:49:49 pm »
I have recently started getting the front wing rust. After a long and protracted argument with VW, they have come back to me and refused to pay anything as the previous owner of the car has already had the wings repainted by an indy garage. I went to my local car body shop, who i trust and has carried out a number of wing repairs.

he took me to the scrap pile and explained about the wings and the number he has done on VW and Audi as well. In the scrap pile he had a number of corroded wings. The issue is the big piece of foam that is attached to the inner wing. water collects in it and rust forms.

He replaces the wings leaving out the big foam piece and has had NO issues from previous customers, however he has had a number of people coming to him who had the repair previously by VW, who leave the foam intact.

He stated that if VW replace your wings and they leave the foam in, then you WILL have rusty wings again in the near future. He also said that the issue is so big that the insurance approved wings fit perfect as they are producing so many of them.

For me i have no option with VW so will be replacing my wings myself. I will make sure the foam is left out.  :happy2:
05 GTI 5 Door, sunroof, met paint, 18" monza, Leather Anthacite, front centre armrest, xenon headlights, Lux pack 2, Sensors, Winter Pack.

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2014, 06:15:09 pm »
The foam is there to absorb vibrations from Diesel engines. I've removed the foam from both of my wings and noticed no detrimental results.

Everyone go outside and remove your foam  :mad:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline Legend

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2014, 07:23:18 pm »
Has anyone tried getting corrosion fixed on the side skirts? I've got rust appearing on both sides just where the door meets the skirt, in line with the door mechanism. Tried sending emails to local VW and to no surprise, they didn't reply. I'm using this in my defence when I call customer care on Tuesday though  :laugh: .
Aye, that wan.