Make a donation

Author Topic: First ever VW...  (Read 1043 times)

Offline letlifeburn

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,79128
First ever VW...
« on: February 10, 2014, 08:40:20 pm »
Hello.

Names John. Been waiting for this forum to let me register for a couple weeks now. I bought myself this the other week after my year with a Volvo C70 T5 ended when the gear box died on me.

05 Tornado Red GTI DSG, only done 49k since new. As far as I can tell there are no problems with it, DSG box has just had the oil and filters changed. The only thing I did notice was the rear boot badge had that "white worm" thing, can someone actually explain to me what it is?

Not really gonna do much to it for the time being to be honest. I am thinking of getting the cruise control stalk fitted, I've seen you need it for the APR remap, or can they be selected without that?

Eventually I'm gonna paint all skirts and bumpers, don't like the black plastic look, change the badges on the front and back, probably to match, and solve the white worm thing.

One thing I do want to ask, I've heard that theres an update for the DSG software, do I just take it to my local VW dealer? And how much is it normally to have it updated?

Look forward to having a nosey round the forum.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
Re: First ever VW...
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 08:49:46 pm »
welcome.to the forum...Not going to much but you havde started already :signLOL:

Offline K9

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 14
  • VW LifeStyle
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 08:53:58 pm »
welcome :D nice gti you got there, whats the specs :)

Offline letlifeburn

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 09:02:08 pm »
Not much on it really. Standard rcd300 stereo, no heated seats, no cruise control, not even an arm rest haha

Offline brookesb32

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 75
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 09:17:38 pm »
Edit: Just realised this is you John - finally able to join  :laugh: you know the below now but I'll leave it or others in case they like the reference info

Welcome aboard! Lovely colour (loved my TR GTI) :happy2:

In regards to your rear handle, basically why happens is that the metal that the early badge was made of gets water under the top layer and corrodes - hence the whiteworm. The badge is stuck to the base with double sided foam tape. You cannot buy new versions of this badge.

Beginning about 2006 VW changed to a raised VW 3D badge style handle where the badge is plastic and clips to the base - much better. This badge is not backwards compatible (without a lot of effort) with the earlier handles. On the mk6 golf the raised badge changed designed a little to have beveled edges.

There are a few options for you

1. Take handle off car, remove the badge, sand down to get rid of whiteworm, wrap in vinyl of your choice, reattach
2. Take handle off car, remove badge and sand down, then spray how you like
3. Take handle off car, replace with a later raised mk5 3D or mk6 3D complete handle - either standard silver or customise with vinyl on the base and or the 3D badge - or spray base

Hope that helps  :grin:
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 09:21:29 pm by brookesb32 »
VCDS cable HEX-USB+CAN. New but can do the basics including coding

Offline letlifeburn

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 09:31:18 pm »
it is me indeed!! Not that i can read PM's yet, but youll have to keep me updated on progress of the rear handle.

Offline brookesb32

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 09:36:07 pm »
it is me indeed!! Not that i can read PM's yet, but youll have to keep me updated on progress of the rear handle.

You only need a couple more posts then PMs will be active  :smiley:

Vinyl has been shipped so just waiting on that and the handle  :happy2:

Offline letlifeburn

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 09:39:24 pm »
Does the vinyl work better than just painting it then? Because ive just sprayed my front badge, would of been better to use vinyl?

Offline brookesb32

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 09:43:16 pm »
Does the vinyl work better than just painting it then? Because ive just sprayed my front badge, would of been better to use vinyl?

Saw your badge - cracking job. On the rear handle spraying the base would have the same effect, but bonus with vinyl is that it is easy to remove if you fancy a change. Wrapping the inside of the front bade would be really difficult so you were correct to spray that - plus you can keep your old front badge and just change the rear bit over if you fancy it.

Offline Wardy91-ed30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 10:41:55 pm »
Welcome to the forum mate :happy2: