Make a donation

Author Topic: Non space Saver Spare wheel (with pictures)  (Read 12969 times)

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
Non space Saver Spare wheel (with pictures)
« on: September 30, 2009, 03:35:36 pm »
Hi Guys,

Posted this over on another forum earlier, and thought it might be of use to some of you on here ?

Just a post really to give some information to others that may be considering this. My Golf is fitted with 18" alloys and came with a crappy little space saver spare wheel. Now I've only had the misfortune to have one puncture and use it, but not only was it inconvenient, but it scared the crap out of me.

Time for a change I thought, so I went onto fleabay and sourced me a brange new Golf V steel wheel (16 x 6.5J ET50) fitted with a brand new 205x55x16 Dunlop SP spare tyre (won it for £20.00). Whilst it's smaller than the 18", the actual rolling radius is identical (well within a couple of mm) and so is perfectly legal for full road use.

Problem is, the standard wheel wouldn't fit under the carpet so had to source the moulded inserts, which I luckily found on Germany Ebay, mine for £15.00 plus £5.99 shipping - bargain, (they are about £40.00 from the stealer along with the new tool holder insert for the inside of the wheel).

It does have a small minus in that you loose a little boot space (i.e. it's not as deep), but that's a small price to pay in my mind for the reassurance that I won't have to run on a space saver and 50mph.

Anyway, to the pics:

Boot with carpet trim in place (this is the original carpet and doesn't even need to be replaced)

With the boot floor open

Whilst you do loose a little bit of depth, you do gain all the little cubby holes to put stuff in. As you can see in the above photos, I have my warning triangle, Oil top up bag, VCDS cable, and sat nav all neatly stowed under the boot floor.

Just in case you need them, here are the part numbers for the parts.

Left Insert - 1K6 858 857 B

Right Insert 1K6 858 858 C

Tool Holder insert - 1K0 012 115 C (The bit that goes in the wheel itself). I only needed this as the one I had (which was an 18" space saver) wouldn't fit in the 16" alloy. But if you are sticking with an 18" spare, you existing insert might fit ?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 03:37:07 pm by Norbreck21a »

sciroccosig by Sootchucker, on Flickr

Offline Greeners

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
Re: Non space Saver Spare wheel (with pictures)
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 03:41:14 pm »
Good info!  :congrats:

Offline cuprak1

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
  • Cupra k1 - 360 bhp/360 ft-lbs
    • London web design
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 03:45:28 pm »
LOOKIN goood !

no tyre for me.. just a can of tyre weld spray:)

SpeedStats iPhone app  - AVAILABLE NOW!
---------------------------------------
View my Cupra k1 project thread here! 360is

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 03:53:46 pm »
Thanks guys, I hoped it would have been of use. Just thought I would say, whilst it's much safer and nicer to have a full sized spare wheel, it still looks cr*p (though not as bad as the space saver with it's bright yellow sticker)  :happy2:

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 04:02:55 pm »
nice mate, ive got a set of those inserts, just need to get me a spare 19" bbs CH now! ;) haha!

btw...i bought the AK steering wheel control module and it worked! well...its not a BK, but everything works hunky dory! :) so thanks mate

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 04:05:51 pm »
nice mate, ive got a set of those inserts, just need to get me a spare 19" bbs CH now! ;) haha!

btw...i bought the AK steering wheel control module and it worked! well...its not a BK, but everything works hunky dory! :) so thanks mate

Brillant, nice to hear that Jay.  :happy2:

Might be contacting you later this or early next year for a full detail on the old girl. Just need to sort my pennies out.

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 04:07:13 pm »
no problem matey, i shall look forward to hearing from you! :)

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 04:35:52 pm »
Nothing wrong with a space saver as long as you use them the  correct way, i.e never fit to the front wheel if this is the one needing repair..Always remove a rear wheel fit space save & then fit the removed rear wheel to the front.Perfect to get you home. :driver:
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 05:05:08 pm »
I agree Gene. Nothing "wrong" with them as long as you observe the limitations of them.

Problem is (as you said) if it's a front type, then you really need to do a 2 wheel swap to get the space saver on the back. Plus if your hundreds of miles from home (like I was in Scotland once, on a Sunday afternoon), the prospect of driving 300 miles at 50mph, didn't look too appealing. Whilst I still wouldn't go mad on the 16" full size, it's certainly good enough for 70mph on the motorway.

Offline jon-tfsi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 27
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 09:12:50 pm »
Would this wheel fit over GTI brakes?

I put big brakes on a Leon TFSI and found that the 16" space saver would no longer fit over them.
It wouldnt even fit over the rears  :surprised:

Ebay solved the day again with an 18" space saver :wink:
GOLF R Mk7

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 12:42:20 pm »
I agree Gene. Nothing "wrong" with them as long as you observe the limitations of them.

Problem is (as you said) if it's a front type, then you really need to do a 2 wheel swap to get the space saver on the back. Plus if your hundreds of miles from home (like I was in Scotland once, on a Sunday afternoon), the prospect of driving 300 miles at 50mph, didn't look too appealing. Whilst I still wouldn't go mad on the 16" full size, it's certainly good enough for 70mph on the motorway.
......fair point like you say if it's a long journey & no chance of getting a replacment. :smiley:.......& thats a nice little mod. :happy2:
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 01:34:21 pm by Gene Hunt »
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline wayneitb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • My Ride: MK5 GTI
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2015, 07:00:14 pm »
Just ordered this for my car, only £45 form VW for both parts.

Offline andybon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2015, 01:35:32 pm »
Would it not be worth looking for a fifth alloy?

Good idea though, might look into this, I have crap rolling about in my boot, this would solve a lot of problems!
How hard can it be?