Make a donation

Author Topic: Driving in Florida  (Read 1952 times)

Offline Matto

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 116
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37071.0.html
Driving in Florida
« on: February 23, 2014, 02:32:18 pm »
Off to Florida in a couple of weeks and have hired a car for a couple of days. Just wondered if anyone can offer some advice for driving on US roads. I have driven in France and Spain so I have experience of driving on the wrong side.

For the 2 days we have the car we will be travelling from Orlando to Clearwater and the day after from Orlando to Kennedy Space Centre & Cocoa Beach.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Wardy91-ed30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
Re: Driving in Florida
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 09:40:39 pm »
Been twice but I didn't drive my dad did. Roads are real wide and straight so my advice is to put the radio on and try not to fall asleep :signLOL:. Think they're relatively "decent" drivers from what I can remember, no throwing themselves into your lane without indicating ect. Kennedy space centre is quality :happy2:

Offline Marc-5-GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 10:08:19 pm »
I'm doing exactly the same in June and can't wait!! Eager to hear what you think of it all!  :party: :laugh:
3dr Reflex Silver GTI | BBS VZ | Eibach Sportlines | Cumbria

Offline Eccie

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 10:34:15 pm »
You'll want a V8, Sat Nav and sun glasses. Other than that, just watch your speed

Gone - Candy White MK5 Golf GTI (you never really forget your first true love...!)
MK7 Candy White GTI pp - you can never have enough eye candy

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 03:30:27 pm »
Carry lots of change for the toll roads, and leave yourself plenty of time lots of traffic lights....

Clearwater is just the bollox, rent yourself a trial lesson in a cessna from the airpark and enjoy...wonder if Cindy is still there....?    :evilgrin:

Offline Deago

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 05:31:11 pm »
Kennedy Space center is awesome! I think watch your speed is the best advice. Easy to drift way past the limit on long straight roads, especially with their slow speed limits.

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 05:59:33 pm »
Just remember that you can overtake AND UNDERTAKE legally, we cruised at 75mph and were not looked at, we also used the "Local pass Lanes" in tolls and never paid a penny (But that was some years ago!), you might get charged by hire company later on now tho  :grin:

MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline adminkatana

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 06:09:24 pm »
Warbird adventures is also well worth a visit. Going for a flight in one of their WW2 Texans was amazing, not cheap, but incredible. - www.warbirdadventures.com

Just watch out for 'or similar' when choosing your rental car, We got given this little Toyota that was a bit crappy.

Offline !tf

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 06:09:38 pm »
As has already been said, watch your speed. Plenty of police/State Troopers parked on the side of highways, waiting. Its the easiest place i have ever driven. Rarely get traffic backing up. Its usual for huge storms to happen, usually in the late afternoon. The highways can become horrendous, I witnessed quite a few crashes comming off the skyway bridge into Tampa. I also watched a guy, swerve three lanes, swerve back three lanes, do a 360 spin and then just carried on driving like it was nothing.  On the highways you can pass on both sides because, even across the Atlantic they have middle lane drivers. These rules also apply for trucks. It can be pretty daunting if you have two 18 wheelers smashing past either side of you.
2005 Tornado Red GTI. Pescaras, Eibach Sportlines, Kenwood DDX-4028bt, Galactic Empire tax disc holder.

"It never got weird enough for me."

Offline Deago

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 06:11:19 pm »
Just remember that you can overtake AND UNDERTAKE legally, we cruised at 75mph and were not looked at, we also used the "Local pass Lanes" in tolls and never paid a penny (But that was some years ago!), you might get charged by hire company later on now tho  :grin:

they have electronic tags in the car now for people to use those lanes at tolls unfortunately

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 06:11:35 pm »
Don't speed.

I just paid my US$900 speeding ticket last weekend. You can get arrested for speeding and/or "reckless driving" and Florida is particularly bad. The speed limit is 65.

Undertaking is (as I found out) a state-by-state affair. I can't comment on FL but in CA it is prohibited but it is permitted in CO and TX.

Kennedy Space Center is amazing and worth booking a day for. Make sure you take the bus to see the Saturn V as well as Atlantis.

Rent a nice car. For US$20 a day more you can get something like a V8 Challenger or Camaro.

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 06:22:10 pm »
Don't skip the toll booths. It's only a dollar, but your rental company will add a $10 admin fee on for letting you know you have to pay the $1 toll!

Offline Marc-5-GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 06:50:02 pm »
Warbird adventures is also well worth a visit. Going for a flight in one of their WW2 Texans was amazing, not cheap, but incredible. - www.warbirdadventures.com

Just watch out for 'or similar' when choosing your rental car, We got given this little Toyota that was a bit crappy.

In the process of persuading my girlfriend to let me do this! Haha
3dr Reflex Silver GTI | BBS VZ | Eibach Sportlines | Cumbria

Offline Matto

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 116
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37071.0.html
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2014, 07:02:51 pm »
Thanks for the advice. Similar to what I have been reading across the internets. I think my biggest worry are the interchanges and turning right on a red light haha. I'm sure I will soon get the hang of it though.

You'll want a V8, Sat Nav and sun glasses. Other than that, just watch your speed

And this won't be an issue as I have booked one of these  :happy2:

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2014, 07:09:57 pm »
Yep I had a Camaro in D.C. Awesome car, I loved it.