Make a donation

Author Topic: Have you ever bought an older car with more mileage if it was good buy?  (Read 1113 times)

Offline berg

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
Decisions, decisions. The Eddie has got to go for an estate. Been looking at S4 avant but dont really want to pay £21k for a car which will probably still depreciate a bit over next few years. The 335i touring can be had for about £13k with reasonable mileage but wanted to stay VAG and 4wd if possible (I plan to scratch the BMW itch in the future with the new M3)

Been offered a B7 RS4 with 80k on the clock on an 07 plate. Depreciation will be very minimal and I am currently only going about 7k a year in mileage. The car is in excellent condition so I feel I should grow a set and go for it.

Not too bothered if its only 380-390 bhp as would get the intake all cleaned and try and restore it to its factory output via the MRC method.

I think it looks way better than the B8 S4 and sounds better, even if the S4 has more tuning potential a la the Chris Harris video, I still feel the S4 will never be an RS4 in terms of grin factor even if it can be made to go quicker from point to point...

Views/opinions most welcome...
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline RENNTAG

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 23
  • Premium Performance Parts
    • Email
Re: Have you ever bought an older car with more mileage if it was good buy?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 12:43:28 pm »
I think the B7 RS4 would be the one I would go for. As with all cars, I would rather buy a higher mileage car with good service history than a lower mileage car with a patch service history. Also these days I don't think 80K is that high. B7 RS4 is also awesome, I would definitely have one if I could afford it.

Offline Horatio

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 39
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 01:22:36 pm »
I would happily swap my mk4 estate for your eddy  :signLOL: You need to think simplicity  :signLOL:
2007 Black Magic DSG Golf GTI Edition 30. No.1231
.:R32 "milk and juice come in 2 litres"
I run a dirty campervan, need scrubbers

Offline berg

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 01:39:53 pm »
I think the B7 RS4 would be the one I would go for. As with all cars, I would rather buy a higher mileage car with good service history than a lower mileage car with a patch service history. Also these days I don't think 80K is that high. B7 RS4 is also awesome, I would definitely have one if I could afford it.

yeah head says B8 S4 heart says B7 RS4, and ultra sensible head says new Octavia Vrs but would not want to buy one of those until say 3 years old and cant wait till 2016 but suppose a lease deal could be an option...but I then wont be able to map it and as nice a car as the 2.0 tsi will be it will feel a bit tame compared to the stg 2+ Eddie i guess

Offline RENNTAG

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 23
  • Premium Performance Parts
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 01:50:32 pm »
Yeah, I do really like the new Octavia vrs but agree it would need some fettling to make it worth replacing your eddy for. Maybe something to consider in a couple of years.

Offline Karl_mac_

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 02:17:57 pm »
Always buy on condition, not mileage. A car with 100k plus miles that has been owned by an enthusiast (or even someone that just looks after thier cars) is better than one with 50k thats been owned by a string of reps/hairdressers that treated the thing like a white good.
VW Golf GTi DSG2.0 TFSI : DSG : BBS LM : Blueflame exhaust : Pipercross Venom Induction : Eibach Springs
VW Lupo1.4l : Automatic : White : Stickers.

Offline berg

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 03:06:26 pm »
Always buy on condition, not mileage. A car with 100k plus miles that has been owned by an enthusiast (or even someone that just looks after thier cars) is better than one with 50k thats been owned by a string of reps/hairdressers that treated the thing like a white good.

I know this maxim makes absolute sense, but sometimes you struggle to reconcile not buying a newer, fresher car even if the RS4 was a £50k car and the Edition 30 £25k ish?

Offline Stevepd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 06:57:09 pm »
I'm sure you will but service history (especially cam belt & gearbox) is bag up to date and exhaustive. :driver:
Standard 5 Door Shadow blue.

Offline J400uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 27
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,98768.0.html
My GTI is two years older and has nearly double the mileage of the Leon I had before. However its in significantly better condition inside and out and actually feels like a fresher car. I think this is down to the fact its mostly only done motorway miles and has been taken better care of.

So in answer to the question, I've done it and it was definitely a good buy!
2015 Audi TT Sport Scuba Blue 2.0 TFSI 230 PS

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 10
  • living the dream....
    • Email
The B7 RS4 is a great car, I loved mine. Even though on the rollers they don't make the manufacturers quoted figures, they do on 0-60, 0-100 etc, so not a massive issue, but on an 80k car, Im sure there is some cleaning to be done internally (mine had only done 30k). 

Just a couple of things to look out for; Discs and pads are expensive, from memory best part of £1000 an end from a dealer(maybe got cheaper now), and ours mostly did town journeys and averaged about 16-17mpg, which was painful 5 years ago when fuel was a lot cheaper.  However they are an awesome bit of kit, great road holding and road presence, and the noise is just phenomenal, and I would advise investing in a cat back Milltek.

Point to point, in any weather, there are not many cars that are going to pull away from one, or get anywhere quicker, especially with the load capacity that and RS4 has!

Good luck, and go for it
www.bmvs-camperhire.co.uk - Brand new VW California SE rental