Make a donation

Author Topic: People always want mods done cheap!!!!!  (Read 8739 times)

Offline golfman

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 33
  • If your not first your last!!!
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,69645.0.html
People always want mods done cheap!!!!!
« on: March 04, 2014, 07:10:05 pm »
Why is it that people always want mods done cheap  :stupid: :stupid:

i mean they just don't want to commit to buying something and always as soon as you tell them a price they go silent and don't get back in touch :fighting: :fighting:

im not saying i don't like a bargain but i mean come on if you send someone a message to say you are interested in getting something for there car then don't get back in touch its bloody annoying!!!!

the price that you get offered is way better than any dealer would charge so i just don't get it why people always expect to pay £20 or £30 :stupid: :stupid:

People also don't understand how much work is involved in doing these retro fits and yes they can take a while but thats also why the dealers don't do it they just can't price the job up!!!

we add these mods to our cars to make them better and to keep us happy with our pride and joys and especially when its genuine parts you are adding...

what is everyone's view on this

Ps this is not pointing the finger at anyone in particular

scott
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 07:18:09 pm by golfman »

Modded The Way I Like It!!!!!!
Vag-com Hex+Can in scotland
I Hate Timewasters...

Offline SI-R32

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 125
Re:
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 07:20:29 pm »
Scott you know the reason mate, the prices of whichever golf you own is falling, so the newer people buying them have probably barely got enough money to run it etc, so buying mods people think cos its older everything is cheap, oh how little they know and will soon learn its German so everything costs a premium.

Steep learning curve for some.

I've come across a few people recently that thought it was really pathetic that only 2 guys on here can program clocks up and moaned how expensive it is, really had to byte my tongue as wanted to let them know how tight and stupid there being, but that's there problem I thought!!
Loads of extra's and retro fits.

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 298
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56721.0.html
Re: People always want mods done cheap!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 07:23:39 pm »
I agree with you Scott

had a guy with a Scirocco ask me a price to fit a Highline, Cruise, Bluetooth and Mfsw. Gave him a price over a year ago. I didn't hear back from him till a few weeks back, told him that the price had gone up... guess what gone silent :fighting: (btw not anyone on here)

Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Retrofits fitted by me see my members rides

Offline dodds-gttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 34
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 07:46:36 pm »
Without taking sides, I am going to suggest that people who joint this (or other Golf) forums may have come from various car backgrounds. Both French and Japanese cars are very cheap to modify (please don't go into a debate why. We know!) so it comes as a bit of a shock when xenon headlights for a Peugeot cost £150 but up to £500 for a VW.

Also there are many examples of other forums where members gladly help out fellow members for free or very cheap (couple of bear tokens). Understandably if retrofitting VW parts is your day job, you need to charge a reasonable amount to cover costs, etc.

But when I meet up with a few local members (not a group meet) and do some VCDS scans and programming, DSG Resets, help folks with radio installs. I don't expect them to give me £50 for an hour of my time. I help them because I'm an enthusiast(ish) and so are they. I understand that if they use parts/materials then they need to pay for them but there is a line between helping out a fellow forum member and charging exorbitant prices for little work. E.g. quoting £80-100 to do a job that takes less than 2 hours. That is the cost of an independent garage!!

Si-R32, I totally agree on the amount of people that get annoyed because they/you can't do something to help them. VW tools do cost a fair bit of money, especially if your just doing something for a hobby. The fact that more than one guy on here can code in clocks could be celebrated!

Rant over, apologies, it's been a frustrating day at work. And don't get me started on grammar/spelling! :-P

Offline andyR43

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 08:04:15 pm »
Without taking sides, I am going to suggest that people who joint this (or other Golf) forums may have come from various car backgrounds. Both French and Japanese cars are very cheap to modify

:surprised: Have you ever owned a Nissan Skyline GTR?? I think maybe not.  :laugh:

Keeping it original..............or not!!

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 08:23:07 pm »
I feel a lot of peps don't seem to understand the basic fundamentals people like you offer "service and quality" at all hours!

They need to accept:-

1 Your not a charity and your services need to be paid for,at a fair rate, plus parts,whatever they are.

2 The advice and support installers like yourselves offer will not be duplicated by dealers etc

3 The customers must remember your not their friends or family.

4 They should do the research and see how much their wish list would cost from other sources dealers or independents etc.

Only then will you find your time not being wasted by dreamers.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 08:41:47 pm »
I gladly pay the asking price because if you want the mod doing then who else is going to do it not the dealers that's for sure...

Offline dodds-gttdi

• Thank You
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 09:21:53 pm »
Without taking sides, I am going to suggest that people who joint this (or other Golf) forums may have come from various car backgrounds. Both French and Japanese cars (in the Golf category) are very cheap to modify.

:surprised: Have you ever owned a Nissan Skyline GTR?? I think maybe not.  :laugh:

I was basing my comparison on like for like. Civics, Peugeot 306 GTI-6's, etc. Obviously Peugeot have been lacking in a Golf GTI contender for a while.

Offline dodds-gttdi

• Thank You
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 09:27:58 pm »

The customer?! Are you a shop/business? Do you declare tax on what you charge 'the customer'?

Get real mate! Garages/dealers charge £50+ an hour because they are a brand and have overheads to cover. Meeting someone on their/your driveway is not the same thing!!

I do agree that you don't seem to get the same advice/help from dealer/garage staff. But they're not interested in modifying your car (unless your paying). They Re paid to sell/service cars in their garage. Fellow enthusiasts ARE interested in the same car (Golfs/VAG) and so will be keen to help you.

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 298
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56721.0.html
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 09:31:20 pm »

The customer?! Are you a shop/business? Do you declare tax on what you charge 'the customer'?

Get real mate! Garages/dealers charge £50+ an hour because they are a brand and have overheads to cover. Meeting someone on their/your driveway is not the same thing!!

I do agree that you don't seem to get the same advice/help from dealer/garage staff. But they're not interested in modifying your car (unless your paying). They Re paid to sell/service cars in their garage. Fellow enthusiasts ARE interested in the same car (Golfs/VAG) and so will be keen to help you.

I pay tax on my profits so don't asume that it is cash in my back pocket
Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Retrofits fitted by me see my members rides

Offline arris

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 09:42:55 pm »
I agree with most even tho if they aint doing it full time if there doing a few a hour here and a hour there soon adds up.

And i know for one my time is precious when im not at work so wouldn't want to be doing it all for free.

Ive had some clocks programmed by eddie this week and happily paid the price because its a service and im paying for his gear to do it but more than that the knowledge that he holds.

Im guessing anyone with abit of cash could buy the kit to do it, but its the knowledge to me that is more important knowing it will be done right, and the help he has given me tracking down some clocks and telling me which model i want.

Offline dodds-gttdi

• Thank You
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 09:44:38 pm »

I pay tax on my profits so don't asume that it is cash in my back pocket

Eddie-NL I'm aware this is probably your full time job. However you are the only exception (I'm aware of) on this forum.

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
Re:
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 09:50:41 pm »
Scott you know the reason mate, the prices of whichever golf you own is falling, so the newer people buying them have probably barely got enough money to run it etc, so buying mods people think cos its older everything is cheap, oh how little they know and will soon learn its German so everything costs a premium.

Steep learning curve for some.

I've come across a few people recently that thought it was really pathetic that only 2 guys on here can program clocks up and moaned how expensive it is, really had to byte my tongue as wanted to let them know how tight and stupid there being, but that's there problem I thought!!

Completely agree Si.

As the cars get older, the peeps who can afford them get younger and/or with less disposable income and there in lies the problem.

These VAG cars are NOT cheap to mod (if done probably) and using the skills and knowledge of peeps such as Ed or Scott is a blessing and whatever they charge is cheap at half the price, I know this as I've used Ed for various bits on several occasions and will be doing so again in the future.

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline fab5freddy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 238
  • -Receive: 239
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2014, 09:54:46 pm »
You got pay to play  :driver:

That is all

Offline dodds-gttdi

• Thank You
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
People always want mods done cheap!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2014, 09:55:20 pm »
Yeah your right arris. For Eddie, someone who has gone into business we (members) need to pay the proper price. After all if he is a fully fledged business he will bound to offer a guarantee/warranty on his work.

Test question: If an enthusiast member has carried out some mods to his car (therefore knows how to fit/code them) what price would you say if fair for him to meet up with a newer member, fit some parts (code them if needed)? The work will take less than two hours, require the basic screwdriver/spanner set (provided by either person) and parts will be supplied by the newbie.

All in, he's paying for the member's time and know-how.