Make a donation

Author Topic: People always want mods done cheap!!!!!  (Read 8738 times)

Offline dodds-gttdi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 34
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
Re: People always want mods done cheap!!!!!
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2014, 11:48:45 am »
Just to throw my 2p's worth into all of this. I have VCDS and have never charged anyone to scan or code bits on their car.

In some cases I have asked them to donate to the Vulcan to the Sky charity but that is still down to them.

Before anyone starts shouting about me not charging I look at it this way. Back in '06 people did stuff for me for free and when I bought my cable and became able to help folk I decided I would "pay it forward" as people had done for me. Simples really and stops  everyone getting upset.  :smiley:

Excellent motto Hedge. :notworthy:  :notworthy: This is my view on things as well, helping out people who are less clued up, because once upon I was that person (still am for a lot of things).  :laugh:

Well, are you? Should the taxman know about your lucrative side-business? Will you get a knock on the door from MR HMRC?
  :stupid:
I don't think so as no-one on here is horrible enough to do such a thing

Nope, I don't even own a vcds cable, I wouldn't even know where to plug it in  :grin:

My point was that for the guys who do own vcds and are not a registered business an just do it as a hobby to help fellow members out then a £10 or £20 donation or a few beers etc for there time seems fair if they feel they have to charge, if they help out fellow members gratis then it's nice to see the spirit of helping each other out staying alive and this is what makes a great a great community.

It's a shame some vcds cowboys feel the need to charge huge rates, when as you say they have a little IT knowledge and a vcds cable therefore they feels their prices high prices are justified as a slight mark down from dealer prices makes them a great second option in their opinion.

I agree with your points in this thread and hopefully the positive ito come from it is that more people will go to the reputable and knowledgeable diagnostic guys like Eddie Nl whom have years of experience.

Exactly what I said, just you've put it in a better nutshell.  :happy2: I definitely don't want to slate Ed, I've had nothing but excellent advice from him. I hope that those who genuinely are gurus/geniuses at this stuff (and charge reasonably) get recognised for it, and those who are cowboys (taking a stab in the dark) and daylight robbers (almost dealer prices for 'mates rates') are kept at bay.  :happy2:

Offline luckyGti

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2014, 11:51:23 am »
Just to throw my 2p's worth into all of this. I have VCDS and have never charged anyone to scan or code bits on their car.

In some cases I have asked them to donate to the Vulcan to the Sky charity but that is still down to them.

Before anyone starts shouting about me not charging I look at it this way. Back in '06 people did stuff for me for free and when I bought my cable and became able to help folk I decided I would "pay it forward" as people had done for me. Simples really and stops  everyone getting upset.  :smiley:

Excellent motto Hedge. :notworthy:  :notworthy: This is my view on things as well, helping out people who are less clued up, because once upon I was that person (still am for a lot of things).  :laugh:

Well, are you? Should the taxman know about your lucrative side-business? Will you get a knock on the door from MR HMRC?
  :stupid:
I don't think so as no-one on here is horrible enough to do such a thing

Nope, I don't even own a vcds cable, I wouldn't even know where to plug it in  :grin:

My point was that for the guys who do own vcds and are not a registered business an just do it as a hobby to help fellow members out then a £10 or £20 donation or a few beers etc for there time seems fair if they feel they have to charge, if they help out fellow members gratis then it's nice to see the spirit of helping each other out staying alive and this is what makes a great a great community.

It's a shame some vcds cowboys feel the need to charge huge rates, when as you say they have a little IT knowledge and a vcds cable therefore they feels their prices high prices are justified as a slight mark down from dealer prices makes them a great second option in their opinion.

I agree with your points in this thread and hopefully the positive ito come from it is that more people will go to the reputable and knowledgeable diagnostic guys like Eddie Nl whom have years of experience.

Exactly what I said, just you've put it in a better nutshell.  :happy2: I definitely don't want to slate Ed, I've had nothing but excellent advice from him. I hope that those who genuinely are gurus/geniuses at this stuff (and charge reasonably) get recognised for it, and those who are cowboys (taking a stab in the dark) and daylight robbers (almost dealer prices for 'mates rates') are kept at bay.  :happy2:

:drinking:

Offline luckyGti

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2014, 11:58:58 am »

+1 If only we had more people who are on the same wavelength, this is exactly the community spirit that forums thrive on.

Offline arris

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2014, 12:51:05 pm »
I feel like I've short changed myself few times I've done VCDS for people as never charged.

Tho should be owed a few beers  :drinking:

Offline dodds-gttdi

• Thank You
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2014, 01:34:53 pm »

Most of the time people who ask me for help doing things I will only ask for them to cover fuel, and buy me Pizza. It's very rare I ever make actual money out of people, for friends I don't mind so much, favours and exchanged all the time, but for strangers, they need to appreciate that gratitude doesn't pay a mortgage.

Agreed, I think pizza/beer money should always be offered to someone who helps you with your car. Unless it's your full time job, helping a fellow member out should not be paying your mortgage!!  :fighting:

Sounds like most people are agreeing to this:

Members can become like mates you met on the internet. So if you become freindly with some of them (locals I presume) then 'mates rates' should be the norm; favours, food/drink or money for pizza/beer.

Here, here!!  :party: :drinking:

Offline mvb12

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 64
  • VCDS - Adaptations * Coding * Diagnostics PM Me
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2014, 01:49:27 pm »
Reading the OP the question is... why do people go silent and not commit to buying?

Well, I for one would never get a quote from one person and not shop around (I would hope most of us are the same).

Maybe people have received a price, shopped around and decided to go elsewhere.

some comparisons have been made to dealers, plummers and insurance companies, which i'm not sure is relevant to this thread as all are companies and not "a guy on a driveway" cashing in AND NOT declaring additional earnings to MR HMRC. ka-ching!!!

If your running the retrofitting as a business like Ed, you can expect to be charged a premium. However, I don't find Ed charges ridiculous sums for his installs AND you know he knows his shizzle. lol  

I'm actually now wondering who the extortionists are on the forum.  :laugh:

End of the day I don't think people should give a price for an install and automatically expect to get the job.

My 2 pennies :happy2:

VCDS HEX NET / VCP / ODIS - COVERING LONDON AND MIDLANDS
VCDS - Adaptations * Coding * Diagnostics PM Me
Canbus Gateway - Supply and fit (Stop battery drain issues)

Offline ARV_90

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2014, 04:30:24 pm »
I'm with mvb 12 On this,  OP said people go quiet... maybe they are just doing a bit of shopping around to see what the work is going to cost them and if they can afford it... I would imagine most people on here do it when buying things, Bikes, Cameras, tyres etc so why not this. Maybe it's just me but I feel like I cant mail some of you good guys on here for mods that I may want doing without feeling like I should say yes straight away ...

Offline dodds-gttdi

• Thank You
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2014, 04:51:15 pm »
Reading the OP the question is... why do people go silent and not commit to buying?

Well, I for one would never get a quote from one person and not shop around (I would hope most of us are the same).

Maybe people have received a price, shopped around and decided to go elsewhere.

When shopping around anywhere else you choose the option that suits you best (often cheapest). You don't go back to all the companies/shops that didn't get your business and say sorry but I found better/cheaper. People who commit to buying/paying are customers. Prostective buyers are only looking. Simples  :smiley:

If your running the retrofitting as a business like Ed, you can expect to be charged a premium. However, I don't find Ed charges ridiculous sums for his installs AND you know he knows his shizzle. lol I think the same about Ed, reasonable prices and very helpful.  :happy2:

I'm actually now wondering who the extortionists are on the forum.  :laugh: Do you really want names?! I can give you one for a start...  :surprised:

End of the day I don't think people should give a price for an install and automatically expect to get the job. Correct, my thoughts too!

My 2 pennies :happy2:

Offline mvb12

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 64
  • VCDS - Adaptations * Coding * Diagnostics PM Me
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2014, 06:48:23 pm »
Your sig is highly amusing.  :signLOL:
VCDS HEX NET / VCP / ODIS - COVERING LONDON AND MIDLANDS
VCDS - Adaptations * Coding * Diagnostics PM Me
Canbus Gateway - Supply and fit (Stop battery drain issues)

Offline biffobear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2014, 07:02:02 pm »
You will find that the guys with little knowledge and high prices get found out in the end, but guys like eddie that charge reasonable prices for their undoubted skill will always be busy.

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2014, 08:18:45 pm »
Think EddieNL's gonna make more money as a sperm donor than making sh1t fit......

Feeling the love...... :notworthy:

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2014, 11:14:11 pm »

Most of the time people who ask me for help doing things I will only ask for them to cover fuel, and buy me Pizza. It's very rare I ever make actual money out of people, for friends I don't mind so much, favours and exchanged all the time, but for strangers, they need to appreciate that gratitude doesn't pay a mortgage.

Agreed, I think pizza/beer money should always be offered to someone who helps you with your car. Unless it's your full time job, helping a fellow member out should not be paying your mortgage!!  :fighting:

Sounds like most people are agreeing to this:

Members can become like mates you met on the internet. So if you become freindly with some of them (locals I presume) then 'mates rates' should be the norm; favours, food/drink or money for pizza/beer.

Here, here!!  :party: :drinking:

you miss my point (again).

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #72 on: March 07, 2014, 12:27:03 am »
I usually call it a tenner for a scan/code clear or changing code, which i think is fair enough. Ive helped a couple of other people on here retro fitting stuff. I did galaxie500s xenons and didnt charge him, but he bought me the first season of breaking bad  :notworthy:

10 pounds to clear a code that's gonna pop back up again. I like your business acumen  :signLOL:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=jisceufivds0pp59ki1bp0s0gr&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2014, 12:28:34 am »
I usually call it a tenner for a scan/code clear or changing code, which i think is fair enough. Ive helped a couple of other people on here retro fitting stuff. I did galaxie500s xenons and didnt charge him, but he bought me the first season of breaking bad  :notworthy:

10 pounds to clear a code that's gonna pop back up again. I like your business acumen  :signLOL:

Thanks.... Time for a quick dip in the 30m heated pool.  :wink:

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #74 on: March 07, 2014, 03:16:36 am »
Mr brown hit the nail on the head, when I used to do the retro fitting I was always told I massively undercharged people? At the end of the day I wasn't a business and I did it to help the guys on the forum. I think I used to take donations of beer money:D but I stopped it all after getting folk always texting and emails pms...I worked nights and was getting up very early to accommodate other peoples needs. My misses was getting on at me all the time so in the end I had to slow it down and just go to doing the satnavs.

Scott and ED do an amazing job has per there recommendation on the forum, I wish people where more in the know of there work and what it involves? I have trouble with my back and shoulder these days so only do things on my own car knowing I can bugger it off at any time and go and have a cuppa and sit on my jacksy :)

Good on Ed for having the balls to go at it full time I wish I'd had the opportunity to do it.

And Scott don't worry about it mate plenty more forumites that will come and use your services but has has been said people do shop around and get quotes all the time just wait for them to come back when they realise the cheapest is not always the best route.