Make a donation

Author Topic: Speed blue 2010 Leon Cupra stage 2+  (Read 11311 times)

Offline big eck

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Speed blue 2010 Leon Cupra stage 2+
« on: March 07, 2014, 10:29:47 pm »

Some of you will recognise this car straight away. Here's a quick run down of the cars spec the day I bought it.

2010 Speed Blue Leon Cupra TSi240.

Parts fitted - Aero Side Skirts,'White 18" Pavoni Wheels, Aero Spoiler, Milltek Leon Cupra R Turbo Back Exhaust with 100 Cell Sports Downpipe,'Cupra R rear valence, KW V3 Suspension, Pro Alloy Intercooler. Air Conditioning Removed. Revo Stage 2+ Software, Evoms intake. Sachs Organic Clutch. The Revo Settings were standard as alan kept the APR high pressure fuel pump for his new project.

Since I've bought it I've spent a fair few £££ on it as its not all went to plan. The car developed a pretty major fault which I spend a small fortune on finding and fixing. I'll post the pics and explain in detail later lol.

For now anyways opinions are welcome.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 07:36:58 am by big eck »

Offline prp74

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 126
Re: Speed blue 2010 Leon Cupra stage 2+
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 10:43:32 pm »
Very nice  :happy2:
mk5 Graphite Blue GTI - Leathers, Xenons, MFD2, PDC, Boot Pop - SOLD
mk7 Pure White GTI - Performance Pack, Xenons, DSG, Leathers, Pro Nav, Dynaudio, Self Park, Keyless, 18" OZ Ultraleggera

Offline scopes

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 131
  • -Receive: 115
  • Wolfsburg Edition
    • My GTI
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,49748.0.html
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 11:27:46 pm »
Nice car dude !  :happy2:  The colour of it really suits the Cupra...

Heath to enjoy, hope everything works out good !

:driver:
If it's not broke, Mod it.....

Silver is the way !

Offline Leigh200sx

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 06:41:19 am »
Like the colour

Offline Leonpettit

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 9
  • 2008 Edition 30 DSG - No.1706
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89470.msg905534.html#msg905534
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 08:21:37 am »
Looks good mate. any arse shots?
Mods coming soon...

Offline Orc

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 25
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 10:27:29 am »
Love these

Offline big eck

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 11:49:39 am »

Offline big eck

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 12:06:38 pm »
Thanks for the nice comments folks.

Anyways, on with the story. I had the car for around 3 weeks running the lowest Revo settings possible due to the standard fuel pump now being put back on and decided to find the autotech hpfp internals. I read all the horror stories about them but it was aparent that the failures were down to poor fitting and that they have to be kept super clean when installing them. So after a few days I found someone on here selling one for a very good price and made the trip down to Kelso to pick it up. That turned out to be a great drive down meeting a mk2 focus RS who wanted a play lol. So I met the guy and the deal was done and came away with this. A lot of cash for something so small lol. Excuse the WIFES nail polish lol.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 12:25:31 pm by big eck »

Offline big eck

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 12:24:57 pm »
This next post will be a big one lol

So on the way home I phoned my mechanic and asked him when he could fit it, a week later it was done and the car was taken to Sitech Racing (Revo dealer) in fife to have it all set up properly. Once I got it back it was a complete animal. I didn't have time to get it in the rollers then so that was booked in for a later date.

All was well with the car for a few months when the trouble started. We drove to London from Scotland for a weekend away and all the way down the car ran faultlessly until the next day outside the Victoria theatre I pulled away from traffic lights to be met with bad misfiring under boost (no eml came on tho). I was a bit pissed about it as the car was only just over 3yrs old and I expected lots of hassle free motoring before a fault appeared especially on the newer model. (I had an Ibiza Cupra and mk1 LCR previous).

Anyways my first thought was coilpacks so took it easy the rest of the time I was there. On the way home we reached the M6 toll and I floored it a few times to check if it was still misfiring and strangely it didn't. For a few days it ran spot on so I put it down to a dirty bit of fuel until one day it misfired so bad that the eml & epc light came on and the car went to limp mode running on 3 cylinders. Gutted and pissed right off I phone my guy and explained what happened and was told to turn the engine off, sit for a min then re start to clear the lights off. It worked and the car went good again but the slightest bit of hard boost it all went tits up again and was getting worse.

After some digging to see what the possible faults were and a session on vagcom it came up that there was a misfire in cylinder 1. it was decided that we need to just change out everything until the fault was cured. All the basics were covered first, plugs changed to 7s, R8 coilpacks fitted, full service was due then so that was done at the same till. The car was even terra cleaned and the misfire was still there.

Here's a few pics of the car hooked up to the terra clean machine

« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 12:30:13 pm by big eck »

Offline Cupra_Jay

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 12:35:42 pm »
FFS thats the colour I wanted in the cupra lol Im well jel. I didnt wanna fork out for the facelift cupra lol. Seeing this I wish I did :(  :grin: :drool:

Offline big eck

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 12:36:15 pm »
Once none of that worked the last thing to try was the injectors. So off came the inlet manifold and injector 1 was swapped over with number 3 and it was all re assembled. I was gutted I even had to do this as the car was still under warranty (which seat wouldn't honour do to the mods). Once the inlet was off we were met with this. All the valves were like this. Very dirty engines these.

Offline big eck

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2014, 12:50:57 pm »
Soooooo

The car was all out back together and we were keeping our fingers crossed that the misfire moved to number 3 cylinder and we would finally have the fault. But no, the car ran amazing and did for a few months  :confused: we thought it must have been a bit of dirt in the injector but there was loads of carbon deposits on the ends of them which concerned us. The car ran at crail 1/4 mile day the day after it was put back together and ran spot on and then done a rolling road at Sitech racing a week later without a single issue so I bought I few more goodies. First one being a triple R splitter. I was determined to fit one of these ASAP as I think that the cupras all sit very nose high.

And finally on the car with my new plate thrown in for good measure

Offline big eck

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2014, 12:56:44 pm »
This is the graph from the rolling road day. Was pretty chuffed with it and showed all was well.

Offline big eck

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 12:58:53 pm »
The car was running well so I got the wheels redone as the white was a nightmare to keep clean in the bad weather. Don't know whether to go back to white or not now lol.

Offline big eck

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2014, 01:08:29 pm »
This is where things went back to problems. My wife was driving behind me when I noticed she stopped suddenly and I got the dreaded phone call that the eml & epc light came on and the car was in limp mode. I was gutted but kinda relieved that I 99% knew what the fault was. The car was taken over to the unit and put on vagcom and expecting cylinder 3 to come up it turned out 3 & 4 were to blame this time. It was then decided to take all the injectors out and have them sent away to be tested and cleaned. Whilst they were away the valves and everything else was cleaned of the carbon deposits. This was a nightmare of a job and took ages.

Just to give you all an idea on how manky these engines are. Bear in mind I was only on 36k miles here.

There are 4 of these flaps and they were like this front and back. It was like tar.