Make a donation

Author Topic: The wheel balancer damaged my wheels  (Read 1579 times)

Offline alexmccabe

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 12
    • Alex McCabe
The wheel balancer damaged my wheels
« on: March 14, 2014, 08:43:07 am »
So I went and got my new wheels balanced. On one wheel there are several deep chips and on another it looks like the lacquer has been removed. This is around the bolt holes. How do you cock up so badly at your job? Why can't I have nice things?  :sad1:

MK5 Golf GTi 197BHP Tornado Red

Offline Joshy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
Re: The wheel balancer damaged my wheels
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 08:54:05 am »
I get so nervous when taking wheels to the garage. I normally kind of hang about and chat to the lads doing the wheels, hopefully it makes them more careful as i'm stood there.

But yeah, that sucks man

Offline alexmccabe

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Alex McCabe
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 08:57:26 am »
I get so nervous when taking wheels to the garage. I normally kind of hang about and chat to the lads doing the wheels, hopefully it makes them more careful as i'm stood there.

But yeah, that sucks man

I did exactly that, he was talking about how nice the wheels and the car were, and how fast it was. The lad was only about 16 :/ I'm taking it back down today, though I don't know what they will do. Probably just fob me off.

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 09:07:32 am »
I had one chipped after an MOT and Tyre Center in Basingstoke place did the tracking.... but I pointed it out the moment the wheel was back on the car before I drove away.

They will almost certainly defend it to the hold and refuse to pay, claiming that you did it at home or something.

Offline marko

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 09:13:23 am »
Once you've left the premises,you have no come back mate...
Such a shame
2007 TR gt170...heated leather,underseat drawers,auto-levelling bi-xenons,puddle leds,chrome switches,footwell lights f+r,cruise control and ed30 rear lamps,LED interior....carbon highline clocks,ed30 front spoiler,RNS 510 P+MDI,mk6 gti gearknob,TPMS done,complete r32 trim kit+ MFSW,r32 f+r brakes,RLS fitted.headlamp washers,folding mirrors and boot pop,mk6 RVC,19"Helios,AP coilies,valeo LEDs  ...dpf delete and remap to finish off

Offline alexmccabe

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Alex McCabe
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 09:21:19 am »
Such a shame

Balls :( I only noticed as I was putting new centre caps on.

Offline swgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 6
  • GTI owners are born not manufactured!
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 07:13:48 am »
Such a shame

Not always the case, I had this issue a few years ago with ATS after they dealt with a puncture on my newly refurbed Clio 172 alloys. I didn't notice until a day or so later that the wheel had basically been dropped onto it's face so all 5 spokes were damaged. Went back to them and they instantly tried to fob me off but without being rude i persisted and they sent a bloke to assess it. He was fairly sound about it and although we both knew I couldn't prove it he gave me the benefit of the doubt as all the other wheels were still in perfect nick and the marks weren't something you would expect from normal driving damage. They agreed for me to get the wheel re-done at the same place that did them originally and they paid him direct when the work was done.

As said above I now hang around like a bad smell while they're doing it and if I see anything that might of caused may damage it's checked before i leave just in case as i reckon I was very lucky to get mine sorted out.
Laser Blue 3dr No 209683, Leather, Monza II's and a few other goodies...........GONE but not forgotten......now in an A4 S-Line Avant 170tdi......god I miss the Gti.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 07:50:11 am »
Now I fit tyres for a living and the only thing I can thing of is he has rammed the cone in that holds the wheel central on the balancer

Offline alexmccabe

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Alex McCabe
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 08:44:06 am »
Now I fit tyres for a living and the only thing I can thing of is he has rammed the cone in that holds the wheel central on the balancer

I'm not sure, that is in a different room and the public wasn't allowed in there. I went down, and the guy was super understanding. He gave me the money back for the balancing, which surprised me and told me that from now on, only to deal with him. He is the manager. I was very happy with that :)

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 09:09:29 am »
 But no result on the alloy thou-has it chipped the paint of center of the alloy

Offline alexmccabe

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Alex McCabe
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 02:24:29 pm »
But no result on the alloy thou-has it chipped the paint of center of the alloy

Yeah, but it's on the inside of the bolt hole, so it's not THAT noticeable. I am okay with what has happened.