Make a donation

Author Topic: TTRS brakes  (Read 12505 times)

Offline Pikey Motorsports

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 33
Re: TTRS brakes
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2014, 11:59:32 pm »
k-sport? there decent money.. not many seem to have them on the mk5 though, but are popular any alot of other cars
TSR PERFORMANCE GTX30 520BHP
LITCHFIELD R35 GT-R 660BHP
MSL E63 AMG 720BHP
HCP BM3 M5 800BHP

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2014, 07:52:15 am »
The AP setup is very capable with over 200 kits sold, had a customer do 18 laps at hockenheim last Thursday, it would have been more but they were tyre testing, he drove home on them panicking in case his wife who also drives the TTRS noticed there was something wrong with the brakes - she didn't notice.......

Making race brakes - dead easy, making road brakes - dead easy......making road brakes that you can have fun with on track and then drive home with is a little more tricky

A stock TTRS disc would have lasted 3 laps.....seriously, they are probably ok for commutes etc etc

Offline candy turbo

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2014, 08:32:04 am »
This is the reason there are so many sets for sale i know for a fact that when these are replaced by audi they change the discs and calipers and the old ones are SUPPOSE to go in the skip but not many have !!

Offline betty_swollox

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2014, 09:08:17 am »
The AP setup is very capable with over 200 kits sold, had a customer do 18 laps at hockenheim last Thursday, it would have been more but they were tyre testing, he drove home on them panicking in case his wife who also drives the TTRS noticed there was something wrong with the brakes - she didn't notice.......

Making race brakes - dead easy, making road brakes - dead easy......making road brakes that you can have fun with on track and then drive home with is a little more tricky

A stock TTRS disc would have lasted 3 laps.....seriously, they are probably ok for commutes etc etc

A bit more useful than your last few comments...

What would it recommend for my budget then? I can probs stretch to 2k if they're going to be worth it
2010 Leon CUPRA
BCS Powervalve Exhaust
Revo Ceramic Intake
APR Stage 2

Offline big eck

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2014, 09:20:52 am »
Is is really much of an up grade using just the RS calipers with the standard 345mm discs???

Offline arris

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2014, 09:39:05 am »
About them being replaced makes sense as there is always calipers popping up on ebay, saying of low milage cars.

Always thought cant be that many rs3 owners wanting to upgrade straight away.

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2014, 09:42:24 am »

A bit more useful than your last few comments...

What would it recommend for my budget then? I can probs stretch to 2k if they're going to be worth it

Sorry if my quality of advice isn't up to snuff on here, must try harder I guess.....

http://bit.ly/1e6Qweb

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2014, 09:43:50 am »
RS3 discs are worse than TTRS ones, they have a larger offset and fair quite a bit worse.....

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2014, 09:53:05 am »
What car do you have and what do you want to do with it? road/track/race?
Sideways yo!

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2014, 11:16:46 am »
@betty

Saw your comment on the AP brake kit thread, I don't "hate" TT brake discs.......its a lump of metal

The facts are thus:

They're on suffix H on the disc part number in 4 years, they've never really got them sorted....
There's too much front bias on a TTRS the disc size split is 370/310. My Kit is 362/335mm and transforms the car.
Like for like after a tailchase at Oulton two identical TTRS one OEM one AP.....the OEM was 90 degrees hotter one side than the other, mine were 100 and 190 degrees cooler. Both sides are the same part number.
Anything over 343mm should float that's straight out of the AP racing catalogue. It's why the VWR setup doesn't work on track, it's why TTRS discs don't work on a track.
Notwithstanding not all TTRS dont go on a track, a staged TTRS is capable of 185mph and a dash speed of 150 the car doesn't know its on the M6 / Brands hatch it still has to stop
Warranty replacement of TTRS discs is no longer.they've done the recall they think its fixed. Evidently its not.
Any discs being sold/purchased on eBay or here have been removed by Audi as not fit for purpose
New TTRS discs that are compliant are three times the price of the ones which were crap (they're making the customer pay for the recall) a best guess is that Audi pay Zimmerman €80 a pair for new (unconfirmed but a sensible source)
The casting for the AP rotors is straight out of the SEAT Motorsport catalogue, its a Supercopa part number.
The Road TTRS AP mounting bell and fixing system is straight off most off the VWR Cup cars this year, came second in class at the Dubai 24 and won its class at the 12 hour Mugello yesterday eclipsing LOTS of very expensive racing exotica. There is no harder test for ANY setup other than endurance racing outside of F1

Lots of TTRS references above.... a stock GTI has half the power so won't make the same demands on the stock rotor

In addition

The caliper is as fitted to a DB9 and a Ford GT, it's not the problem, the pad is from an EVO 7-10 and numerous other cars renowned for having headroom when it comes to brakes.

So trying to detach from the emotive and anecdotal portion of what' works and what doesn't ^^^^^^^ here's some facts to set the scene.

Offline betty_swollox

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2014, 11:40:34 am »
@betty

Saw your comment on the AP brake kit thread, I don't "hate" TT brake discs.......its a lump of metal

The facts are thus:

They're on suffix H on the disc part number in 4 years, they've never really got them sorted....
There's too much front bias on a TTRS the disc size split is 370/310. My Kit is 362/335mm and transforms the car.
Like for like after a tailchase at Oulton two identical TTRS one OEM one AP.....the OEM was 90 degrees hotter one side than the other, mine were 100 and 190 degrees cooler. Both sides are the same part number.
Anything over 343mm should float that's straight out of the AP racing catalogue. It's why the VWR setup doesn't work on track, it's why TTRS discs don't work on a track.
Notwithstanding not all TTRS dont go on a track, a staged TTRS is capable of 185mph and a dash speed of 150 the car doesn't know its on the M6 / Brands hatch it still has to stop
Warranty replacement of TTRS discs is no longer.they've done the recall they think its fixed. Evidently its not.
Any discs being sold/purchased on eBay or here have been removed by Audi as not fit for purpose
New TTRS discs that are compliant are three times the price of the ones which were crap (they're making the customer pay for the recall) a best guess is that Audi pay Zimmerman €80 a pair for new (unconfirmed but a sensible source)
The casting for the AP rotors is straight out of the SEAT Motorsport catalogue, its a Supercopa part number.
The Road TTRS AP mounting bell and fixing system is straight off most off the VWR Cup cars this year, came second in class at the Dubai 24 and won its class at the 12 hour Mugello yesterday eclipsing LOTS of very expensive racing exotica. There is no harder test for ANY setup other than endurance racing outside of F1

Lots of TTRS references above.... a stock GTI has half the power so won't make the same demands on the stock rotor

In addition

The caliper is as fitted to a DB9 and a Ford GT, it's not the problem, the pad is from an EVO 7-10 and numerous other cars renowned for having headroom when it comes to brakes.

So trying to detach from the emotive and anecdotal portion of what' works and what doesn't ^^^^^^^ here's some facts to set the scene.

Now that was the sort of answer I was after, wasn't so difficult was it :P!!!!

Thanks for that. That has defo helped in my decisions. How much are we talking for some 4 pot AP calipers and your discs?
2010 Leon CUPRA
BCS Powervalve Exhaust
Revo Ceramic Intake
APR Stage 2

Offline vag12

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2014, 12:05:47 pm »
Tell you what get hold of the TTRS/RS3 calipers and contact VRSALEX he sells a fitting kit that will allow you to use the S3/R32 345mm disc

Offline big eck

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2014, 12:22:35 pm »
Tell you what get hold of the TTRS/RS3 calipers and contact VRSALEX he sells a fitting kit that will allow you to use the S3/R32 345mm disc

This is exactly what I'm interested in. Will this really improve that much over my standard Cupra set up as its only the calipers that's being swapped over.

Offline dan930

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2014, 02:55:39 pm »

Or go for the daveb setup...ttrs/rs3 calipers,daveb discs & pagid rs4-2 pads...these is what I'm going for :happy2:

MK6 golfR dsg
AKS TUNED
NORTECH PERFORMANCE HTA3071
R TECH custom map

Offline betty_swollox

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2014, 04:49:53 pm »

Alex who owns aks??
2010 Leon CUPRA
BCS Powervalve Exhaust
Revo Ceramic Intake
APR Stage 2