Make a donation

Author Topic: Decision time ! S3 v Ed30  (Read 9473 times)

Offline Poverty

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
Re: Decision time ! S3 v Ed30
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2009, 12:42:00 pm »
all iam saying is that the haldex quattro system is not as good as the quattro system used on the s4 rs4 it is more front wheel drive and thus understeers like a front wheel drive. yes it has good grip but 4wd saps power through the transmision and weighs more.

With the last few days of rain ive been more than happy in my heavier grippier car, even seen a few rwd cars fail that would usually be off in the distance  :signLOL:

horses for course and all that though
Yeah ok..... 2 days of rain though previous 28 days of sunny weather....hmmmmm  :laugh:

On the motorway the rain doesnt slow down my progress much  :laugh:

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 10
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2009, 01:01:36 pm »
I'm just fed up of hearing how good the R32 is, it isn't;

Any weather, any road, my edition 30 will anhialate a mkv/ mkiv R32. They are a nice cruiser, but I just found mine too heavy - especially in the nose, too thirsty( I was getting similar economy to my RS4) and very breathless in the top end of the revs. Fantastic sound but, when compared to the two mkv GTis that I've owned, just not as chuckable or fun. Whereas the 8P S3 is nearly there, far more agile, but just a little dead in the driving feel. I think/hope the VW will finally get it right with the upcoming R.

This isn't a direct slating of the mkv R32, but having owned both variants of the .:R and all the mkv GTis, I have found the GTi by far the more fun and envolving drive.  

This is of course my personal opinon.........
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 01:12:07 pm by Oli »
www.bmvs-camperhire.co.uk - Brand new VW California SE rental

Offline Aparoon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2009, 01:10:40 pm »
Any weather, any road, my edition 30 will anhialate a mkv/ mkiv R32. They are a nice cruiser, but I just found mine too heavy - especially in the nose, too thirsty( I was getting similar economy to my RS4) and very breathless in the top end of the revs. Fantastic sound but, when compared to the two mkv GTis that I've owned, just not as chuckable or fun. Whereas the 8P S3 is nearly there, far more agile, but just a little dead in the driving feel. I think/hope the VW will finally get it right with the upcoming R.

This isn't a direct slating of the mkv R32, but having owned both variants of the .:R and all the mkv GTis, I have found the GTi by far the more fun and envolving drive. 

But not Jules R32, just any other...  :signLOL:
Edition 30 DSG, Revo 2+,BSH Intake, Autotech hpfp, Blueflame TBE,  Eibach Sportlines, Speedline Turini's GONE

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2009, 01:12:56 pm »
Ha ha, does feel like that doesn't it!!

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2009, 01:34:07 pm »

But not Jules R32, just any other...  :signLOL:

Its better than the S3 apparently  :signLOL:

Offline subaru26675

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2009, 02:25:55 pm »
Well news so far is that as i said earlier that someone was coming up from penrith to see the s3 yesterday, he liked and so got first chance at it. Apparently he was trying to sort out some kind of loan today, he has until 5pm today then I get my chance !!  :jumping:

One way or another i will know by 5pm today.
If i dont get the s3, I will turn my attentions back to an edition 30 ( not that one with the dodgy lights  :surprised:)

Kev.

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2009, 02:51:41 pm »
Nice one Kev.
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2009, 04:38:27 pm »

It's nearly judgement time  :evilgrin:
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline Poppa Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2009, 05:02:09 pm »
Right, it's 1700 - what's the decision?  :laugh:

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2009, 05:04:16 pm »
Hes late.................. sack him :laugh:

Offline subaru26675

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2009, 05:19:15 pm »
Waiting for my email / call  :popcornsoda:

Patience my friends, patience  :grin:

Kev

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2009, 05:21:05 pm »
Well news so far is that as i said earlier that someone was coming up from penrith to see the s3 yesterday, he liked and so got first chance at it. Apparently he was trying to sort out some kind of loan today, he has until 5pm today then I get my chance !!  :jumping:

If i dont get the s3, I will turn my attentions back to an edition 30 ( not that one with the dodgy lights  :surprised:)

Kev.

So have you decided on THAT S3, and if that doesn't come off, you're back onto an ED30?  Is it me or is that a bit strange?  You either want an S3 or you don't surely?

Am am I right thinking that you still haven't driven an S3?

Sorry if Im prying too much, but thats how it reads to me, and just seems a little odd?

Enjoy what ever you get :happy2:

Offline subaru26675

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2009, 05:25:47 pm »
THAT S3 has the modifications i would be doing anyway, ie nearly 1000 pounds worth and the car is a very good price 08 plate with its low mileage regardless when you compare it with others.
If i eventually get my hands on it for 21000, i think it will be a good deal.

Kev  :evilgrin:

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2009, 05:27:26 pm »
I have owned both and they both excel in different areas so you will not be dissappointed with either! That S3 looks lovely and is very well priced, that would be my first choice but then again I am a little biased  :evilgrin:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic