Make a donation

Author Topic: ESP - On or Off?....  (Read 13782 times)

Offline WhiteGTI

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 22
  • F-A-S-T
Re: ESP - On or Off?....
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2009, 09:08:34 pm »
You know what, I've never switched off my ESP.  I think I'm going to go out after watching the X-Factor...  :jumping:

be aware of the lift off oversteer

+1 !!
2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2009, 09:20:01 pm »
+2 on the lift off oversteer...got it well sideways once at Quarry (castle combe) during a track day.  :grin:

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 19
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Project MUBster DUBster Evolution
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2009, 09:23:23 pm »
Thanks for the words of caution... it's really moving  :love:

I think I'll go and have a weep in private.  :confused:  

I'll be careful boyz..... I love my car too much.

P.S.  Did I ever tell you about my near death-defying and "unplanned" power slide near Bristol.  I won't say how fast I was going... I do miss the original MUBster.  

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2009, 09:40:33 pm »
+2 on the lift off oversteer...got it well sideways once at Quarry (castle combe) during a track day.  :grin:

I think we had a little sideways motion at the Combe in my .:R didn't we Lee!  :scared: :grin:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2009, 09:42:30 pm »
^^^^

Ah, those Beemers are well known for being easy to put sideways! But they are relatively easy to correct. I still love BMW's though :love:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2009, 09:53:13 pm »
I turn it off in good weather. :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2009, 10:15:45 pm »

I don't think anyone was being condescending towards you, if you got that impression?

The lift-off oversteer seems more pronounced on the Golf than a lot of other FWD cars that I've driven, so I guess others who commented on that have experienced the same.

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 19
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Project MUBster DUBster Evolution
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2009, 10:21:16 pm »
Thanks for the words of caution... it's really moving  :love:

I think I'll go and have a weep in private.  :confused: 

I don't think anyone was being condescending towards you, if you got that impression?

The lift-off oversteer seems more pronounced on the Golf than a lot of other FWD cars that I've driven, so I guess others who commented on that have experienced the same.
I didn't think anything of the remarks. 
Everyone here is good as gold. I know everyone is looking out for each other.

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2009, 11:37:05 pm »

Yeah first time I turned the esp off I went round a roundabout not even that quick and the car slid big time unexpectedly. Its easy to get it to slide out, but its not exactly favourable with a mapped car as it gets up to speed so quickly and wouldnt fancy counter steering at higher speeds.

Offline Caz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
  • Golf GT Sport TDi - called Gordon
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2009, 09:21:04 am »
Ive never switched mine off..

just used to having it on..
".. in the process of learning the vw service trade!"

Offline Aparoon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2009, 11:24:01 am »
I always switch mine off, I didnt have it on my last car and have had a few instances where i have put my foot down to pull out of a junction and its nearly thrown me through the window, I dont like it at all and never use it, and as someone has said it still cuts in when really required  :happy2:
Edition 30 DSG, Revo 2+,BSH Intake, Autotech hpfp, Blueflame TBE,  Eibach Sportlines, Speedline Turini's GONE

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2009, 12:15:49 pm »

Thank goodness that the Golf platform has the option to switch ESP off, or at least that it switches off the intrusive bit when spirited driving.

I hate all that Adapative Control stuff on recent cars - The logical conclusion is that such systems could eventually mean that the 'driver' doesn't have to engage his/her brain at all! Mind you, some already don't engage their brain!

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline veedubbubh

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2009, 01:41:35 pm »
Mmm a whole thread on turning off ESP that cannot actually be turned off??

Or am I missing something - maybe you can turn it off if you modify the car?

Presumably if you modify you are improving the handling of the car so the ESP which works on the monitoring the wheel sensors rotational speeds will come on less and less anyway?

I seem to remember some video laps of OEM MkV GTI on the now departed Driver's Republic where the inablity to completely shut down the ESP was unfavourably commented on - OEM Honda Civic VTEC (the one with the hard suspension) did very similar lap times with the same driver - similar power cars but the intrusiveness of the Golf GTI ESP interferred with the driver input limiting absolute performance.

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2009, 01:52:16 pm »
Just by pressing the ESP button, it stops ESP coming on in most circumstances but it will still intervene when things go horribly wrong.

If you hold the ESP button for 10 seconds, it turns everything off I believe, including the ABS. This was confirmed on a recent log that Dom did for me because one of my fault codes was something like  'failure to communicate with ABS module' ...or something along those lines.

No fault code was apparent before the ESP button had been pressed in that way, and only earlier that day i had the ABS going crazy  :laugh:

Interesting stuff!

I've asked for clarification on the ESP systems from T_T on many occasions, but he never actually steps up to offer an explanation.....

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2009, 03:30:18 pm »

Mmm a whole thread on turning off ESP that cannot actually be turned off??

....I think it's been established that switching the ESP button to Off doesn't switch absolutely everything off. So we are discussing the pros and cons of using the 'ESP Off' setting as provided by VAG in our platform cars.

Presumably if you modify you are improving the handling of the car so the ESP which works on the monitoring the wheel sensors rotational speeds will come on less and less anyway?

....Good point. The ESP sensors work 'SMART-ly' (Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology) and so will only react and instruct according to what they are subjected to. In my direct experience I have found that since installing the Quaife ATB diff, instances of the flashing yellow ESP icon have been significantly reduced. Of course, such behaviour is dependent on having sufficient tyre grip.

Mentioned again because it was a very good test, we (an instructor and myself) found that the only times we induced the ESP light in the wet at Spa in a 15-lap session of hard driving was when on the white lines after La Source hairpin when laying down the power. In other words, my very modified suspension and brakes etc as a whole, greatly influence and reduce the ESP intrusion.

I seem to remember some video laps of OEM MkV GTI on the now departed Driver's Republic where the inablity to completely shut down the ESP was unfavourably commented on - OEM Honda Civic VTEC (the one with the hard suspension) did very similar lap times with the same driver - similar power cars but the intrusiveness of the Golf GTI ESP interferred with the driver input limiting absolute performance.

....I'm undecided whether it's a good thing or a bad thing not to be able to switch off the ESP entirely on the Golf platform. I think the latest VW ESP system (on the Golf R) is reported to be even more 'trackday-friendly'.

As Chris (WhiteGTI) says, I have also heard of the 10-second trick from Mark at VWR.

According to Keith at APR, "the Mk5 ESP retards timing as its main weapon" and is far better than the Mk4.

I think it's fairly well proven that ESP generally improves road safety and reduces accidents and so its sensible for most drivers to keep it on for most ordinary road use.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 03:33:56 pm by RedRobin »