Make a donation

Author Topic: Holiday destination - Sydney/Perth or Hawaii - The Big island  (Read 2013 times)

Offline Degudodger

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 86
    • Flickr
Going to surprise Mrs DD with a surprise holiday for later this year and i'm undecided on destination.

Considering.
Hawaii - The Big Island - Kona
Australia - Perth & Sydney

Personally i think Australia is not going to be viable as you really need 3+ weeks to enjoy it however my wife has always wanted to back since we had a overnight stop over during a stay in Brisbane & Cairns a couple of years ago.

If you had the choice where would you go?

2016 Mk7 Golf GTD - Reflex Silver with stuff.

VCDS Hex+Can - Will code for beer!

Offline gtipirelli

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • Golf GTi Pirelli
    • Email
Re: Holiday destination - Sydney/Perth or Hawaii - The Big island
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 06:54:02 pm »
Been to both Sydney and Hawaii and must say that Hawaii wins hands down simply because of the 'once in a lifetime' feel about the trip. We travelled around most of the islands but based ourselves in Waikiki for the nightlife and shopping. The other islands are great for a few days each. The scenery is breathtaking and the pace of life outside Honolulu is lovely and relaxed

On the other hand australia is one of our favourite places but somewhere that is not quite as exotic as Hawaii. Maybe because more people have been to oz and you are more likely to go again.

It is a great dilemma to have and you will enjoy both

We went to both places for 3 weeks as well
Golf GTi Pirelli - Diamond Black, 5 Door - SOLD
now 718 Cayman S PDK

Offline Degudodger

• Thank You
    • Flickr
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 07:19:37 pm »
We spent our honeymoon in Waikiki and enjoyed it but found some aspects of the Pacific American dream to be a bit overwhelming. There is a pretty big issue with Crystal Meth on the island which we encountered first hand. With that said i would go back again but need to see the other islands first.

Walking up Diamondhead Volcano in 30C heat without water was an experience!!
View 762ft above sea level of Waikiki beach.

Our visit was on 2009 so at the height of Lost which was mainly filmed on the islands of Hawaii

Hummer tour round the island was called for - Kualoa Ranch where most of lost was filmed as well as some Jurassic Park and about 100+ other films.

Australia is absolutely amazing, in some respects better than Canada for scenery but only because it is so in your face and unique.

My most memorable moment was walking through the Daintree Rainforest and spotting a Cassowary

Offline Degudodger

• Thank You
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 07:23:08 pm »
The main reason for treating Mrs DD is she 3/4 of the way through treatment for stage 3 Cancer and needs something to focus on. Its not been easy for her over the past 18 months and i really want to do something special for her.  :smiley:

Offline gtipirelli

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • Golf GTi Pirelli
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 09:02:04 pm »
Wow ok you have a compelling reason to do something special. My best wishes to mrs DD

We did the wimeya canyon (excuse the spelling) in Kauai as well as the volcano up close and personal on the big island. Pearl harbour was very moving and Waikiki was just very in your face but fun

You probably know deep down where best to go is but it is still nice to reminice and chat about travels. As you have mentioned, Canada is fab especially the west coast and the Rockies.

Always wanted to see the south island New Zealand, had you thought of that

That was our next holiday before kids came along  :rolleye:
Golf GTi Pirelli - Diamond Black, 5 Door - SOLD
now 718 Cayman S PDK

Offline bigeyd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 31
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 12:49:32 pm »
Hawaii is the place to go because of your time restriction,beautiful place

Offline Degudodger

• Thank You
    • Flickr
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 01:03:48 pm »
No time restrictions as such, Hawaii is better in October and December is the most affordable time to visit with have decent weather. I would love to spend Christmas in Sydney but the price would be crazy.

Offline south

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 01:38:38 pm »
Get to hawaii but avoid the big tourist spots like waikiki like the plague! Worth a few days in maui to do the hana highway (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hana_Highway)... there's a waterfall every few miles you can go and swim in and honesty stalls with fresh fruit everywhere. Maui also has Haleakalā which is the tallest mountain on earth, you can drive right to the top too - worth doing before dawn, you won't see another sunrise like it!

I'd go back in a heart beat if I could!

Offline south

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 01:43:09 pm »
Get to hawaii but avoid the big tourist spots like waikiki like the plague! Worth a few days in maui to do the hana highway (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hana_Highway)... there's a waterfall every few miles you can go and swim in and honesty stalls with fresh fruit everywhere. Maui also has Haleakalā which is [one of] the tallest mountains on earth, you can drive right to the top too - worth doing before dawn, you won't see another sunrise like it!

I'd go back in a heart beat if I could!

Offline Eccie

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 01:59:06 pm »
The main reason for treating Mrs DD is she 3/4 of the way through treatment for stage 3 Cancer and needs something to focus on. Its not been easy for her over the past 18 months and i really want to do something special for her.  :smiley:

Thats rough for both of you, Its also understandable that you'd want to do something special, nevertheless, I hope your going to fully chat ideas through with your wife before booking anything, she may not feel up to such a long journey and you now face the sad, but tricky issue of holiday insurance - which going to the US could be a bit of a hurdle.

Whatever or wherever you both choose will be special for so many reasons - Good luck

Gone - Candy White MK5 Golf GTI (you never really forget your first true love...!)
MK7 Candy White GTI pp - you can never have enough eye candy

Offline Degudodger

• Thank You
    • Flickr
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 12:59:45 pm »
Its not been easy but we have received loads of support from family, friends and strangely our local Chinese restaurant!

Mrs DD knows i'm booking a holiday for the latter part of the year and has given me a list of destinations, The big Island and Sydney being the top two so i just have to decided were we are going now. Holiday insurance is going to be fun, I've not actually considered that so i must give DirectLine a call and see if we are still covered. Thanks for pointing that out  :happy2:

Offline arris

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014, 03:46:28 pm »
Hawaii is my dream place to go!

But I'd also love to go to Australia so I am no help.

But I think for circumstances I'd pick Hawaii.

I'm sure wherever you go both will enjoy it and deserve it!

Offline SurreyED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2014, 05:12:48 pm »
I went Australia Boxing Day till 26 jan this year and it was the best holiday of my life (only 21) don't think anything will top it to be honest.

Playing golf in Fremantle royal course in 43 degree heat perfect amount of sea breeze case of Hahn superdry lager  :love: perfect day, no golf experience will ever match that.

There is so much to do in Western Australia I'd 110% visit again

Me and the missus also hired a K03 GTi out there for 4 days  :drinking:
Edition 30 build No:692 Revo stage 2 SOLD
Edition 30 build No:440 Stage 1 SOLD

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=0494ju9rlpm4a6r4u6fl7f5v1t&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2014, 06:00:26 pm »
Sorry to hear about mrs DD. Why not do both destinations?? f*ck it... You only live once.

Offline Degudodger

• Thank You
    • Flickr
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2014, 06:10:12 pm »
Wish i could Rich but we have plans to move next year so i can't rape the saving account. My MIL has given us £5k towards the holiday so in theory it shouldn't cost us much more than £1k on top which is completely doable.

At this rate i might actually get a chance to use my camera this year!