Make a donation

Author Topic: Tej's MK5 R32 HPA Turbo. New pics!  (Read 84683 times)

Offline Tejinder

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 6
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,81786.0.html
Tej's MK5 R32 HPA Turbo. New pics!
« on: April 06, 2014, 01:51:45 am »
Hey everyone, been meaning to do this build thread for a very long time, and with being asked to do one by a few friends and members I thought I’d give it a go. It’s the first build thread I’ve ever done so bare with me!

Anyway onto my car

Bought this back in May 2011 as a completely original 1 owner from new car.

So there she was a completely stock MK5 R32
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 04:21:46 pm by Tejinder »

Offline Tejinder

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
Re: Tej's MK5 R32
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 01:52:35 am »
July 2011

It didn’t take me very long to do my first modification, as I had to replace the bulb anyway.

LED sidelights

July 2011

Also added the .:R logo on the keys as the VW badge was missing

October 2011

I then decided that I wanted a new catback exhaust, but I loved the rasp of the OEM sound so much I decided to get the tips changed instead to fill the gap out a bit more.

October 2011
At the same time I also changed my wheels to a genuine set of Eos ones. I needed new tyres for my Zolders and found this set of Eos alloys with 7mm tyres for the same price instead.

May 2012

My next mod was one of my favourites, the Valeo rear lights. Absolutely love these.

June 2012

Decided to stick my Zolders back on as I preferred them over the Eos wheels. They needed to be refurbed, but I decided to try a new product at the time called plastidip. I was very impressed with how they came out.

Offline Tejinder

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 01:53:02 am »
June 2012

MILLTEK!! So after lasting just over a year without many mods I decided I wanted to change my exhaust afterall. Managed to get hold of a Non res milltek catback.

July 2012

I then decided I wanted to paint certain parts gloss black. Mainly the rear valance. I also decided to paint the black parts of the front grilles.

July 2012

Now heres another of my favourite mods. Recaro seats!! Was trying to find a good cheap set of these seats for over a year and finally stubbled across some in very good condition.

However all was not as simple as it first appeared. As my car was made and sold with a cloth interior I didn’t have the relevant switches or wiring loom for heated seats. After getting a VW geek I know to sort this everything was working perfectly.

Offline Tejinder

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 01:53:26 am »
August 2012

Felt that my MFD2 was getting boring to use, so I upgraded it with an RNS-510 and at the same time gloss black wrapped the surround. Also got myself a novelty switch and fitted an MDI kit.

September 2012

ICE!!! Decided to overhaul my ICE! Changed all four doorcard speakers to HiFonics with an amp to suit. Also added an Orion HCCA sub in an enclosure I designed and made myself, again I had to have a monster amp to suit.

Offline Tejinder

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 01:53:52 am »
November 2012

My air filter was due for a change so I decided to go for an intake instead. Fitted myself an EVOMs.

December 2012

Decided I wanted more noise! Found someone selling a custom made decat, this required me to cut my OEM cats out and weld the flanges on. Sounded amazing!!

February 2013

Since owning the car I always felt the flappy paddles were too small which didn’t encourage me to use them very often. So managed to get myself a very cheap alternative. These just stick on but work a treat.

March 2013

Also got some leather doorcards and armrest cover to match my seats and complete the full leather look.

April 2013

After liking the look of my black zolders so much I decided to peel the plastidip off and get them professionally powder coated black. Very pleased with the look.

April 2013

After the snow we had a stupid time of the year I had an issue with my rear wiper arm. The threads had stripped themselves which meant the only way to get it off was to be careful with a grinder.

Quick pic of bonnet reflections

Offline Tejinder

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 01:54:17 am »
May 2013

Now that I had been driving the car for 2 years I knew exactly what I wanted to improve. That was the handling and front end feel in corners. With this in mind I set my attention on coilovers. A good second hand set of AP’s came up and I snapped them up straight away. Got them fitted and was very pleased with the result.

May 2013

After earlier success with plasti dip on my zolders I wanted to try and do my rear badges. Didn’t like the result so peeled it off! Mostly

Got a pic of my R32 with my sisters Pirelli as well

June 2013

This is a bit marmite (even for me lol) Wanted to do something as I was running out of cheap mods to do. So added huge recaro stickers on the backs of my seats.

June 2013

Whilst I was at it I decided to relocate my 4 Channel amp. Trying to make it as stealthy as possible. I also removed my Orion sub in the name of lightweight (weighed around 60kg with amp!)

And all the foam I cut out

Offline Tejinder

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 01:54:42 am »
July 2013

Managed to score a full milltek exhaust with the new style GT100 tips. Cleaned everything up nicely and heat wrapped the manifolds and decat. Also polished the exhaust tips.

August 2013

Felt the need for spacers now the car was lowered, got some 10mm front and 16mm rears.

Before:

After:

August 2013

Whilst I was fitting my spacers I took the opportunity to test fit the cupra lip so I knew which sections to cut and mould.

August 2013

I fitted a cold air feed from the lower side grille for my EVOM’s intake to help with under bonnet temperatures.

Offline Tejinder

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 01:55:07 am »
September 2013

Since I had my car I always felt the DSG knob was a bit tatty and was showing some wear. Got a very good condition second hand one, quite a delegate job to do without breaking anything!

September 2013

Got some H&R front and rear anti roll bars to accompany my coilovers to overcome the R32’s naturally heavy feeling front end. Got these back in august but only just got round to fitting them.

September 2013

Finally got the last piece in my interior conversion from cloth to leather. Full black headliner and trims. This makes all the difference for me and is the finishing touch.

October 2013

Ordered some red plastidip for a bit of fun, and went a bit crazy lol

October 2013

After the last two years appalling winters I wanted to be prepared this year, ordered myself some winter tyres and wheels! With the chosen wheels being 5x114 I had to use wobble bolts to fit them.

Another problem arose when I discovered (after talking to another member on here with the same wheels) that Japanese cars use M12 bolts and VW use M14. This meant I had to bore the holes out slightly using the correct drill bit.

Very nerve racking drilling into your new wheels! The bonus is these wheels are 3kg lighter each than the Zolders! This is a lot of weight where rotational mass is concerned.

Offline Tejinder

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 01:55:34 am »
October 2013

Also got a unibrace copy (copybrace). This was for a punt to see If it made any difference. Still to be fitted.

November 2013

Was starting to get bored of the Milltek sound and wanted a change! With this in mind I went ahead and got a neuspeed catback. This was beautifully made and did put the milltek quality to shame in all honesty. Went ahead and fitted this along with my new wheels.

November 2013

With trying to strip weight off the front end of the R32 getting more and more important to me, a carbon fibre bonnet was needed. Got one that was painted black.

My plan was to strip this off the reveal that beautiful carbon fibre weave. The buyer assured me this was painted for strictly aesthetic reasons and that it was not damaged.

After 7 hours on the road collect the bonnet I was eager to start stripping it. Only to discover damage as soon as I did!!!!

November 2013

After two weeks of time consuming careful sanding, everything was revealed. Wasn’t pleased to say the least. Looks great with water on it. I knew the bonnet would need to be relacquered before I started. So kind of my expected finish wise.

Offline Tejinder

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 01:56:03 am »
December 2013

Gave the car a full machine polish before It was time to fit my bonnet. Went ahead and fitted the bonnet to discover the fit was sh*te as well. This wasn’t a big deal as I was going to fit aerocatches anyway.

Now to try the bonnet…

January 2014

Sorted the bonnet fitment with the help of aerocatchs and it looked much much better and was finally safe to drive.

Offline Tejinder

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2014, 01:56:33 am »
January 2014

Got myself some Audi R8 oil and coolant caps to try to add a bit of engine bay bling.

January 2014

Saw a very rare GruppeM intake come up for sale and thought it would be rude not to buy such a beautiful intake. This sparked the end of my relationship with the EVOM’s which I still think is a brilliant intake. After reading various reviews I also ordered myself some DEI gold tape to wrap the bottom half of my intake.

Then I started to apply the gold tape

February 2014

Next on my list was a mod I’ve been waiting to do for ages. Genuine US spec grille. These are notoriously rare in the UK and aren’t really available second hand. So TPS was the only way. The US spec grille is holeless whilst being the OEM colour.

Then I cut the sides off my plate

Offline Tejinder

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2014, 01:57:01 am »
February 2014

Another mod I’ve been waiting to do for a very long time. HPA Gen 2 haldex controller. Apparently the best modification for an R32. This was a lot easier to fit than I expected and the difference when in race mod was astonishing. understeer is now well and truly a thing of the past.

Don’t have any real pics of this, as it looks exactly the same as he stock one, apart from a switch inside to adjust the amount of power you want at the rear.

February 2014

Managed to score a Neuspeed power pulley, the difference this would make was always going to be debatable. The weight saving alone was more than worth it for me. 300g vs 2.8kg OEM!

Size difference of OEM and Neuspeed!

March 2014

Decided I liked the look of a carbon bonnet so much that instead of painting my current one, I wanted to buy another one! Incomes the OSIR double skinned bonnet. Fitment and build quality are amazing.

March 2014

Another mod I’ve been wanting to get rid of for a long time is the cupra r lip. Got an OSIR one to match my new bonnet and I think it looks a lot better. Much more OEM+.

Offline Tejinder

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2014, 01:57:21 am »
And the most recent pics

Offline N8KOW

• Detailer - 2014
  • Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 7
    • Kowalski Details
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 02:31:54 am »
Interesting approach to this one  :happy2:
IG: http://instagram.com/kowalskidetails
2014 Mk7 Golf R on Order...

Offline jonnym

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 22
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2014, 03:19:21 am »
Good lad, love this! Thanks for taking the time to do it!
@PSW - "Candy white ones are the nicest and fastest"