Make a donation

Author Topic: Polish/Wax + stone chips = nightmare.....help!!!!!!  (Read 1835 times)

Offline swgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 6
  • GTI owners are born not manufactured!
Polish/Wax + stone chips = nightmare.....help!!!!!!
« on: April 10, 2014, 07:20:49 pm »
Gave my Audi it's first real seeing to a couple of weeks ago and must admit i was made up with the results, the car was washed beyond clean, de-contaminated and then a coat of polish and a wax applied. The paint looked stunning, no swirls all light scratches removed and had a beautiful deep shine, not a mark in sight.....................until now :surprised:

Came to wash it tonight and as i pressure washed the dirt away I could see what seems like hundreds of nice bright white chips all over the bonnet, bumper and wings, i carried on cleaning dried it off and could have burst into tears as it looks awful. Basically the polish and wax seem to have now filled every stone chip, blemish and scratch and now stand out like a sore thumb, the car is dark blue so makes it even worse.

What's confusing me is that when I finished the job two weeks ago there wasn't a mark in sight this seems to have happened over time so wonder what the hell has caused this and secondly other than washing it about a thousand times how can i rectify it? the only thing thinking back i didnt do was rinse in between stages of polish and wax and then after waxing so could residue/dust left on the car have added to this.

Any help much appreciated thanks.
Laser Blue 3dr No 209683, Leather, Monza II's and a few other goodies...........GONE but not forgotten......now in an A4 S-Line Avant 170tdi......god I miss the Gti.

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: Polish/Wax + stone chips = nightmare.....help!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 08:16:07 pm »
The wax would have taken time (?48hrs) to fully cure.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 08:19:38 pm »
In all likelyhood, they have been there for a long time. You just haven't noticed them until now.

Offline swgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 09:21:08 pm »
Oh yeah not doubting there were there just a bit baffled as to how two weeks ago straight after waxing they were hardly visible whereas now they look like they've been filled with bright white filler and stand out like a sore thumb. Wondered if there was somethin g i could have done to prevent it or something i can do to make it better. If it helps i used Poorboys nasty paste, maybe another type of wax wouldn't stand out as much?
Laser Blue 3dr No 209683, Leather, Monza II's and a few other goodies...........GONE but not forgotten......now in an A4 S-Line Avant 170tdi......god I miss the Gti.

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 09:30:12 pm »
No, probably just that filling agents and oils temporarily hid the appearance. Only way to remove them permanently is to have the panel resprayed.

Offline swgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 07:20:43 am »
Would a really dark wax such as Dodo Juice purple haze or blue velvet be any better then? or would they utlimately end up curing the same colour and stand out just as much?

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 12:32:36 pm »
As above you'll ultimately need to fill in the chips or respray the bonnet. There was an experiment on DW that showed that colour charged waxes work but they used about four layers on a white car before there was an appreciable difference.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 09:31:13 pm »
As above you'll ultimately need to fill in the chips or respray the bonnet. There was an experiment on DW that showed that colour charged waxes work but they used about four layers on a white car before there was an appreciable difference.

And lots of editing in photoshop.

Coloured waxes will have the same effect they will be gone after a few weeks. fighting a losing battle unfortunately bud. panel respray and a clear-bra.

Offline swgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 07:03:32 am »
Not going down the respray route as it's not actually that bad, when the chips aren't full of wax 90% of them are barely noticable as they're just surface scratches and not even through to the primer I just wondered if there was a way of polishing/waxing without it ending up the state it's currently in. I've been looking into the Chipex system so might just give that a go and see how I get on.

Offline GS WAX

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 08:20:15 pm »
Without seeing it its hard to tell the cause...Usually its as jay pointed out the polish used contains fillers/oils or it could be that the polish wasn't worked for long enough, all that is water under the bridge, its happened now.

A quick tip to rescue it back to its former glory without a respray, rub some water displacement spray over the areas ( GT85/WD40) until virtually invisible then quick wipe down with a detail spray to finnish.