Make a donation

Author Topic: sales and goods act trade regulations consumer protection  (Read 3182 times)

Offline Cupra_Jay

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
sales and goods act trade regulations consumer protection
« on: May 02, 2014, 11:52:44 pm »
Hi there

Im in a little bit of dilemma. Today I found out why my car has been misfiring so badly. My car had been due a service just over 2k miles ago. I knew it needed new plug which started off a minor misfire. I had it scanned on the vagcom which showed a misfire from cylinder 2 and 4 . I cleared it monday and took it home and didnt drive it till wednesday where I drove to a prept meet croydon to swanley. On the way back home I had a lil boot where the misfire happend againgon the motorway but this time the misfire was really aggressive to the point it pushed out a bit of blue smoke and it sounded like your old school beetle/ camper van. I didnt touch the car till today where before I left work had some plugs delivered to my local garage where I would I have my plugs finally changed.

on changing the plugs we discovered that part of the plug on cylinder 2 had melted which at the bottom of the plug had melted. According to a mate of a mate the fuel mixture might have been wrong hence why the the plug got too hot and melted it away. Some say its a new engine needed other
s say its a valve problem and suggestion that it msy have fried the piston  where the plug melted

ive not had my car three months until tuesday and I wanted to chase the car up with the dealer to do some warranty work so I dont have to fork out the big repair bills ill face.

Can anyone help in regards to consumer protection acts trade goods and sales of good acts so if he refuses to take on the work I can infor him of the legal implications if any and whether or not I can report them to the trade standards committee.

any bit of advice would be helpful

cheers

Jamie

Offline betty_swollox

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 29
Re: sales and goods act trade regulations consumer protection
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 02:07:52 am »
Hi there

Im in a little bit of dilemma. Today I found out why my car has been misfiring so badly. My car had been due a service just over 2k miles ago. I knew it needed new plug which started off a minor misfire. I had it scanned on the vagcom which showed a misfire from cylinder 2 and 4 . I cleared it monday and took it home and didnt drive it till wednesday where I drove to a prept meet croydon to swanley. On the way back home I had a lil boot where the misfire happend againgon the motorway but this time the misfire was really aggressive to the point it pushed out a bit of blue smoke and it sounded like your old school beetle/ camper van. I didnt touch the car till today where before I left work had some plugs delivered to my local garage where I would I have my plugs finally changed.

on changing the plugs we discovered that part of the plug on cylinder 2 had melted which at the bottom of the plug had melted. According to a mate of a mate the fuel mixture might have been wrong hence why the the plug got too hot and melted it away. Some say its a new engine needed other
s say its a valve problem and suggestion that it msy have fried the piston  where the plug melted

ive not had my car three months until tuesday and I wanted to chase the car up with the dealer to do some warranty work so I dont have to fork out the big repair bills ill face.

Can anyone help in regards to consumer protection acts trade goods and sales of good acts so if he refuses to take on the work I can infor him of the legal implications if any and whether or not I can report them to the trade standards committee.

cheers

Jamie

You kept driving the car while it was misfiring, I can't see the garage offering much in the way of goodwill  :confused:

You knew the car was misfiring so you shouldnt have booted it!!!!

Good luck either way mate
2010 Leon CUPRA
BCS Powervalve Exhaust
Revo Ceramic Intake
APR Stage 2

Offline Cupra_Jay

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 07:45:12 am »
What if he didnt know that I kept driving car because when the misfire happened the second time the engine light started flashing crazy it was then that I turned off the car to check mii coilpacks n then turned it back that the car misfire turnt for the worst and the engine light stayed on. Is there no way I can work my way round it? I never thought something so small coyld potentially destroy my engine...

Offline Jonathon555

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 08:16:23 am »
You say your car was due a service 2k ago, so its missed its service ?

Offline Cupra_Jay

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 11:29:24 am »
In simple words yes it has. Is that grounds for him to  refuse any repairs?  Given it was through the service basically that we found that spark plug had broken and melted away Ive had many theories.. where the melted spark plug was down to too much heat building up to the point its melted the head. or intake valve might have got bent or not enough fuel was getting through that injector to make it melt or simply because the wrong spark plug was put in ...

Offline betty_swollox

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 03:40:14 pm »
In simple words yes it has. Is that grounds for him to  refuse any repairs?  

More than likely

It was due a service 2000 miles ago

You've been driving it AGGRESSIVELY whilst knowing there was a misfire

No idea where youre coming from with thenwhole sales and goods act?

The car misfired, should have been taken to garage but u didn't do it!
2010 Leon CUPRA
BCS Powervalve Exhaust
Revo Ceramic Intake
APR Stage 2

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 03:45:48 pm »
i know with cars at work if they are over the service milage then they wont get done under waranty--hope you do get it done as it will be a costly repair
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 04:26:52 pm by maxitrol »

Offline betty_swollox

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 04:20:05 pm »
i know with cars at work if they are over the service milage then they wont get gone under waranty--hope you do get it done as it will be a costly repair

SEAT warranty is the same iirc

Sounds like the OP got it from an independent garage, and I doubt they will be any more lenient than a main dealer :(

Obv I wish the OP the best of luck, but he brought it upon himself!
2010 Leon CUPRA
BCS Powervalve Exhaust
Revo Ceramic Intake
APR Stage 2

Offline Karl_mac_

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 04:23:02 pm »
Sales of Goods Act is worthless when dealing with secondhand cars.

As mentioned above, failing to service the car and continuing to drive the car without notifying the dealer will be sufficient to discharge him from any liability.
VW Golf GTi DSG2.0 TFSI : DSG : BBS LM : Blueflame exhaust : Pipercross Venom Induction : Eibach Springs
VW Lupo1.4l : Automatic : White : Stickers.

Offline SRC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2014, 05:39:13 pm »
What if he didnt know that I kept driving car because when the misfire happened the second time the engine light started flashing crazy it was then that I turned off the car to check mii coilpacks n then turned it back that the car misfire turnt for the worst and the engine light stayed on. Is there no way I can work my way round it? I never thought something so small coyld potentially destroy my engine...

You'd better hope the dealer doesn't read this thread if that's what you plan to do.   If you run your own business (like many here and the dealer you bought the car from) you'll know this approach has a name.  Fraud.

Shadow blue DSG 5 door with leather, sunroof, 18" Monzas, MFSW. 
Full list of mods:  Seat inserts and a VW bottle opener.  Each worth 20bhp.

Offline betty_swollox

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2014, 05:45:51 pm »

You'd better hope the dealer doesn't read this thread if that's what you plan to do.   If you run your own business (like many here and the dealer you bought the car from) you'll know this approach has a name.  Fraud.

I call it 'being a c**t'
2010 Leon CUPRA
BCS Powervalve Exhaust
Revo Ceramic Intake
APR Stage 2

Offline JoeDarKa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 57
  • -Receive: 73
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2014, 08:22:35 pm »

I call it 'being a c**t'

This. Driving it with a known problem and wrecking your engine is your own fault, not the person who sold it.

GT Sport - Reflex Silver 2.0 TDI My Build

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2014, 10:34:02 pm »
My mate lost the spark plug electrode on his Mitsubishi colt. Didn't do any engine damage, let's hope that is the same for you! New set of plugs and do some VCDS logging to see how your engine is performing.

Worth servicing it when it's required too, especially if you drive your car hard
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline DDM

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2014, 10:36:24 pm »
Hi there

cheers

Jamie
whats the actual score with the engine now jamie? you didn't mention anything else after you found a damaged plug, have you fitted them and tried it, or done a compression test ect?

Offline galaxie500

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 13
  • 56 plate 5 door in Black Pearl Metallic
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2014, 12:23:08 am »
I think I'm getting old.
Is no one prepared to put their hand up anymore and admit they f#%cked up?  Is it a generational thing to try and blame anyone and/or everyone when something goes wrong? I'm sure Jamie's a lovely chap, kind to animals & his grandma and regularly tips large in Pizza Hut but surely he knows he's not got a leg to stand on throwing this back at the supplying car dealer? 
Jamie. Look in the mirror, admit your failings as a man and pretend you never started this thread. Oh, and in future, stick to the service plan religiously.  Your whopping repair bill will be down to you and you alone. Suck it up.