Make a donation

Author Topic: Recommend me a drill  (Read 1865 times)

Offline betty_swollox

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 29
Recommend me a drill
« on: May 12, 2014, 10:43:44 am »
I need a drill

don't want to spend a fortune, but don't want something sh1te. had cheap tools before and theyve been crap

anything decent for £50 or under?? I really dont know how what is a good price

Cheers

Richie
2010 Leon CUPRA
BCS Powervalve Exhaust
Revo Ceramic Intake
APR Stage 2

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: Recommend me a drill
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 11:13:41 am »
What are you going to use it for? What type do you need? Cordless? Drilling through wood? Masonry? All makes a difference.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline betty_swollox

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 11:32:21 am »
hello mate it'lll just be for general stuff around the house if I am honest, so probably just wood

would prefer cordless like, but im not too fussed, got a decent sized extension cable
2010 Leon CUPRA
BCS Powervalve Exhaust
Revo Ceramic Intake
APR Stage 2

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 12:47:13 pm »
I generally prefer a corded power drill. Probably avoid B&D, not sure about Bosch these days, DeWalt and Makita are supposed to be good. I nicked my dad's old Bosch drill. Something like 25 years old and still works fine, bashes through masonry without probls.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 12:57:18 pm »
Makita  all the way.

My dad has an earlier one and hes a builder. uses it loads, drops it, gets crap on it. Still going strong.

unfortunately they are around the £100 mark. 3 year warranty.

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/power-tools/drills-drivers/hammer_drills/Makita-18V-Lithium-ion-Combi-Drill-with-2-Batteries-12988839?skuId=13499666

£102 with 2 battery's there.

IMO you can waste £50 or spend £100 on a tool that will last you for ever.

Offline betty_swollox

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 01:00:31 pm »
Makita  all the way.

My dad has an earlier one and hes a builder. uses it loads, drops it, gets crap on it. Still going strong.

unfortunately they are around the £100 mark. 3 year warranty.

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/power-tools/drills-drivers/hammer_drills/Makita-18V-Lithium-ion-Combi-Drill-with-2-Batteries-12988839?skuId=13499666

£102 with 2 battery's there.

IMO you can waste £50 or spend £100 on a tool that will last you for ever.

Sort of info I was after mate

I don't mind paying for quality, last drill i bought was a sh1t one from b&q lol
2010 Leon CUPRA
BCS Powervalve Exhaust
Revo Ceramic Intake
APR Stage 2

Offline Viking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 02:03:44 pm »
I bought de walt and it broke within 6 weeks. The shop told me I'd misused it and refused warranty (like, without even looking at it) so I sent it directly to de walt who dismantled it for inspection and sent it back in pieces saying the gearbox was damaged. They also refused to repair it.

I had a Skil which also lasted a few weeks but the (different) shop took it back and refunded me when it crapped itself.

I went to Wickes and bought one of their own brand drills (Bosch in a different dress) and I've had that for over 15 years with no troubles at all.

None of these were cheap diy stuff either, more in the range of £100 - £150 back then, and what I would class as professional power tools.
Sarcasm for free. Anything after that can only be considered as a bonus.

Just because you think you know something, doesn't make you an expert if you've just read it on the internet, y'know.

Offline betty_swollox

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 02:05:47 pm »
I bought de walt and it broke within 6 weeks. The shop told me I'd misused it and refused warranty (like, without even looking at it) so I sent it directly to de walt who dismantled it for inspection and sent it back in pieces saying the gearbox was damaged. They also refused to repair it.

I had a Skil which also lasted a few weeks but the (different) shop took it back and refunded me when it crapped itself.

I went to Wickes and bought one of their own brand drills (Bosch in a different dress) and I've had that for over 15 years with no troubles at all.

None of these were cheap diy stuff either, more in the range of £100 - £150 back then, and what I would class as professional power tools.

Thanks for that mate

Like I said before, I don't mind paying for it if its gna last  :party: :party: :party:
2010 Leon CUPRA
BCS Powervalve Exhaust
Revo Ceramic Intake
APR Stage 2

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 04:19:14 pm »
Always buy better than you will require . If you are a DIYer then don't get a cordless , get corded stuff , Screwfix book is good to choose from
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline MJ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 06:04:40 pm »
The best cordless drill I've ever had was a snap on 18v hammer drill. It really was the dog's bollocks but I sold it as it was rarely getting used.

Just like Viking I too was bitten by the poor quality of modern dewalt sh*t (black and decker owned). I purchased a drill and light which had interchangeable batteries from our mac tools man and it just couldn't cut it. I gave it him back in exchange for credit.
2005 VW Bora TDI 130 Highline auto. Current mods: 5.5lt washer bottle & black and aluminium A/C knobs & 312mm front brakes and 256mm vented rear brakes.
Next: turborevs SMIC, 20vt pancake pipe and silicone connectors.

VCDS, ODIS, VAS - PC and multi brand diagnostics around Manchester - pm me for help and advice

Offline Bernhard30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 06:49:53 pm »
Had a 18v Parkside drill/driver from Aldi and it did the trick. Was £50. Still going fine after about 5 years.
But when putting decking down for two days found the weight of it to be a right pain..literally.

So for next big garden job got a Makita...it's smaller and about half the weight. About £100. It's a good bit of kit.

Offline GunnerGibson

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 07:14:58 pm »
I bought an Aldi special after burning out a Black and Decker.. has worked a treat for 4 years.. loads of cheap bit sets in at the minute as well.

Offline DDM

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 08:33:10 am »
i've had both dewalt and makita, and the makita was loads better, battery lasted longer, think it was £99.00 from b&q and came in it's own case with charger and 2 batteries,

Offline DANBOY66

• Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,74301.0.html
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2014, 09:38:39 am »
I got a Makita cordless torque driver and drill combo paid about 200 2 years ago for when I was doing up the house

the torque driver is insane 6 inch screws it just pumps them in no drilling

the drill is ok I have been putting up tv brackets and curtains with ease but if I was drilling through a wall I would use a lot bigger drill

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Makita-6281DP3-ID-14-4V-Combo-Kit-6281D-Drill-Driver-6935FD-Impact-Driver-3-Batt-/380891509562?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item58aee7333a

when I laid the kitchen tile floor we screwed ply down every 4 inch squares to stop any movement with the torque driver about 3000 screws in total it looked mad done it in 2 1/2 batteries

Dan..

Seat Ibiza cupra 06 1.8T GTX2867R GEN2 track toy in the making
Passat TDI 170 DSG the Family mini cab