Make a donation

Author Topic: Best product to remove bird .....  (Read 1757 times)

Offline ginge 0116

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • The kings cross hotel blackpool
    • Email
Best product to remove bird .....
« on: May 21, 2014, 06:53:18 pm »
Right guys I've just recently moved to the coast and am getting my car covered in seagull poo, don't fancy washing my car every day so was wondering if any of you know a product that I can use with a cloth? Thanks sam

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
Re: Best product to remove bird .....
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 07:29:54 pm »
any normal sort of quick detail spray...

bird sh*t will cause marring on the paint if left on for any amount of time.

Offline DiZzYGT!

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 10:02:25 pm »
You Need to remove it ASAP, as Jay stated it will mar your paintwork which can only be removed by paint correction. I always carry with me megs quick detailer which works great, just try not to drag the droppings over your paintwork. Would recommend detailing your car to build as much protection as you can which might make it a bit easier for yourself .

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 10:30:22 pm »
Inorganic waxes/sealants will not protect you against bird sh*te either.
Ceramic/silica coatings will offer some improved protection however will eventually suffer the same fate as a normal wax in effect and have the protection stripped and the paint underneath marked.

Depending on how severe the bird crap was and how long it was left, sometimes it's not possible to remove all of the marks they may leave.

as dizzy says don't drag the poo over the paint as it's going to scratch it.. you are best off soaking the bird sh*te and then patting it off or alternatively soaking a tissue or a towel in product and leaving it on the surface and then get it all up in a MF towel.

Offline swgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 6
  • GTI owners are born not manufactured!
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 07:09:19 am »
I always have a few sachets of AG bird poo wipes in the car, lay it over, let it soak in and remove. Alright for the odd one now and then but maybe not as practical if your car is getting covered on a regular basis.
As said above be very careful when removing it as there can be all sorts of gritty stuff in it that can scratch like hell, especially from seagulls.
Laser Blue 3dr No 209683, Leather, Monza II's and a few other goodies...........GONE but not forgotten......now in an A4 S-Line Avant 170tdi......god I miss the Gti.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 12:57:35 pm »
I've had to deal with bird strikes in the past and what I do now is soak it with water/quick detailer (depending on what I have to hand) and once it's reasonably soft, I then "squirt" the poo off. That's either with water from a bottle with a sports cap, or a detailing spray bottle with the nozzle adjusted. Either way, you can produce a narrow high pressure stream to shift the poo.

On the occasions it has been severe/bad, I immediately go to a local petrol station and use their jetwash to clean it off. The longer it's left on, the more damage it will cause.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline WILL 1 AM

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2014, 05:02:02 pm »
As above, soak and remove.

Get some cheap detail spray from Wilkos, I got 500ml for £2.50 and use that and microfibre.  I keep that in the car an fits ready to go.

The AG seems expensive however it's cheap when doing its job.

I have bird poo left by the previous owner and now it's etched into the lacquer.  Totally doing my head in when I clean and polish the car.

Get that sh*t off soon as